Royal Canin Urninary So

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Back in May 2017 my persian boy cat 2 years old at the time developed uti, the only thing that resolved him was putting him on Royal Canin Urinary So..
Feline Urinary SO® Dry Cat Food - Royal Canin
He has been on this dry kibble ever since and never got uti again, he drinks a ton of water though... He also has a sensitive stomach, if he eats a little canned food he throws it up :(

During this time(last 1 1/2 years)I dont know exactly when but he would get itchy and groom a lot, shake his head like he has itchy ears.. He also throws up, but 2 weeks ago he threw up 5 times in one day, the first time a lot came out. He went to the vet and had a mild fever, he was put on antibiodics and cerenia I think it was called...

Well 4 nights ago he puked a big hairball out, yesterday morning he puked a hairball, and this morning he puked liquid out...

I want to get him off Royal canin Urinary So, I ordered Wysong Uretic dry food which has no corn. Im awaiting the delivery and hoping he likes it..
Wysong Uretic Dry Cat Food, 5-lb bag - Chewy.com

I cannot seem to get him on wet food and when he does have some fancy feast he pukes it out 50% of the time...
Top 502 Reviews and Complaints about Royal Canin Pet Foods | Page 7

Am I going in the right direction to assume hes allergic to something in the Royal Canin?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The vet could do a serum allergy test for the primary ingredients in RC SO and see if he has a reaction to any of it. At least that would confirm or deny an issue with those particular ingredients. Plus, the results might indicate other allergens that you might find in other cat food as well.

There are canned versions of not only RC SO but Hill's C/D as well, but I have never compared the ingredients to see if they are pretty much the same or not. I don't know anything about Wysong, but I am sure you will hear from others that have used it - hopefully soon!

Feeby has been on the dry RC SO and Hill's C/D for 8 years after bladder surgery for stones. I also feed her the canned versions, but just for the past 2-3 years. However, in my case she took to the canned pretty easily. You might try mixing some canned with dry and see if you can get him to eat some canned that way.

For hairball prevention/reduction, you could try feeding him a small amount of butter or margarine daily, or perhaps every couple of days to see if that would help the hair pass through his system more easily - and, at least stop any puking related to that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hes been off his meds since last tuesday, he puked his guts out a little while ago..

I went downtown and bought blue buffalo sensitive stomach and natural balance.. I hope he eats one of them, its defenitly not a hairball so im thinking its the food...

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hes almost 4 years old pure persian, the vet on the phone mentioned ibd, blood tests and steroids..

He finally got up this evening drank a ton of water and threw it up..

Me im a wreck, I been having anxiety attacks all day :(
Back to the vet tomorrow

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He slept with me last night and to my amazement ate the blue buffalo sensitive stomach...Im really hoping its the food, as on this food he is itchy, shakes his head and grooms a lot..

I do have wysong uretic coming tomorrow, im thinking of keeping him on sensitive stomach and observe if he has throw up fits..

I also ordered a bottle of uromaxx as his last one is expired..

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im still waiting for the Wysong uretic, Fed Ex failed to deliver yesterday.. He does not touch the hills urinary food and does not touch canned food...

Hes been on blue sensitive stomach and no throwing up since but I worry about his pee problem he had in 2017..

Since being on Blue Sensitive stomach his poo is like 60% more healthy looking then his poo on the urinary so..On the Urinary So his poo is very small and unhealthy looking, on the Blue it looks completly healthy, go Figure.....

Allie my other kitty was eating the blue with no slow transition but she got loose stools, I gave her a probiodic and put her back on the urinary so..

Oliver also had zero slow transition but he has no problems..

Im really counting on him to like to the wysong, if he does not im ot sure what options I have left besides the Purina which has corn

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IBD treatment will help with IBD, it won't prevent the effect of allergies. Our vet went straight to the IBD diagnosie without any testing. I decided to try the is it an allergy first. Well, it was - some basic ingredient in everything Purina makes and everything Mars makes (which is probably why the vet thought it was IBD and I can kinda see that.) Chicken meat is a no for her, she tosses it in about 15 minutes or less, but she can handle chicken fat and chicken broth in food. Some cats can't deal with chicken at all. So if you try eliminating chicken read the ingredients carefully as many foods that don't have chicken meat in them have the broth and/or fat.

My vet agreed it was the chicken and the basic ingredient in the two brands (and that covers a lot of territory.) As he said, she quit vomiting, that's the thing that matters. He pointed out the need to read the ingredients carefully due to chicken broth and fat.

Take deep slow breaths, lie down in your bed and let your muscles relax. Your kit will pick up on your stress and it's way too soon to be stressing out. Allergy elimination diet is time consuming but you're in the right place to learn how to do it.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both my cats snob the Wysong uretic

Oliver has been on
Blue Buffalo Sensitive Stomach Chicken Recipe Adult Dry Cat Food, 15-lb bag - Chewy.com
since tuesday and seems happier, more energetic and his stools are a night and day differance! I read one review mention that its good for uti cats? On the ingredients I found
DL-Methionine which is for uti cats right?

Two reviews said it caused a uti in their cats but imo thats just hearsay

i ordered purina pro urinary but im wondering if I can keep him on this diet with uromaxx supplement cranberry concoction(he was on this uromaxx for 6 months with the urinary so diet previously)

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didnt know all cat food has DL-Methionine, I was under the assumption that was a main ingredient in the urinary so that prevents the crystals

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boy just woke up and is compulsively scratching, is it the new food or is it because im still putting the old one in just a little

Hes freaking me out

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the old food makes him itch, eating less of it won't make him not itch. I know you are doing the switch foods in a way that doesn't stress kit, but the food that causes the itching will continue to even if he only eats a tiny bit of it.

Why don't you make a list of all the ingredients of each food and compare them. At least that way you'd know what the common ingredients were. And, if you keep the lists, you'll be able to compare other foods to it.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well my Oliver is now transitioned to the blue sensitive stomach which has cranberrys and blueberrys..

I also have started giving him daily 1ml of Uromaxx supplement as a precautionary measure.. He had urinary issues one time in may 2017 at 2 years old.

Top 504 Reviews and Complaints about Royal Canin Pet Foods | Page 2

I read all the consumer complaints of urinary so and it seems like its a wide spread problem with the exaxt same symptoms my cat had.. Maybe I should send royal canin my vet bill

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boy just woke up and is compulsively scratching, is it the new food or is it because im still putting the old one in just a little

Hes freaking me out
This was because my Oliver has hyperesthesia syndrome, I put two and two together... I ordered Jackson Galaxy Oil for his skin as he has been very sensitive at certa

First time in a very loong time, Olivers dookies actually look healthy, just wow..Royal canin urinary so was not a good diet

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I notice there is Royal canin Urinary So and Urinary So Moderate calorie...

Is the regular urinary so high calorie???

I ask this because Oliver is on Blue buffalo Sensitive stomach but in one months time he is 6 ounces less weight then feb 1..He has high energy, his poops are the same but healthier and seems to be more poop...He scarfs and barfs more on the blue buffalo and I feed him in tiny portions throughout the day..