Royal Canin Urinary Alternatives??

käsekopf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone.
My 2 y/o male cat just spent the past month and a half through hell enduring a stubborn UTI. After many a vet visit and accruing large bills, his urine culture just revealed normal urine (although he still has crystals). Since the ordeal began, I was feeding him Royal Canin Urinary SO per the vet's orders, according to the can's weight recommendations. I would also feed his kibble mixed with water to increase his hydration. It was more expensive than he previous diet of regular cans mixed with kibble, but I thought it was temporary.

I know now that taking him off would be at our own peril for symptoms to recur. I can't really afford to keep feeding him specifically that brand permanently, and I know most other prescription diets can also be pricey. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for any canned alternatives (maybe not necessarily prescription?) that might cost a bit less but function for mostly the same purpose.

Thank you

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Purina (Pro Plan Urinary Tract Health) has a urinary care non-prescription food, as does Wysong (Uretic). I believe both offer canned and dry versions. I also included an article about other specific brands/flavors that are considered urinary care foods, as well as other urinary care related information.
10 Best Cat Foods for Urinary Tract Health in 2022 (petsumer.com)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There might be something here: Alternatives to expensive Urinary SO food

It's fine to feed something other than the vet recommended prescription food. No vet can make you feed X brand of food. It's your cat and you make the decision and sometimes that may mean disagreeing with the vet. Vets push prescription food for various reasons: they simply don't know much about nutrition, they may get commission for selling prescription foods, brand loyalty beause Hills etc sponsors veterinary conferences and other educational opportunities.

Generally any canned food helps keep the urinary tract healthy. The high moisture content is what will keep the urine well diluted and prevent most crystals and other things from becoming a problem. Some people add a d-mannose supplement to the food as well. It's supposed to help keep the urine pH acidic which also helps stuff from being a problem. There are threads here on TCS that discuss using d-mannose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

käsekopf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you everyone for your helpful replies!!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi everyone.
My 2 y/o male cat just spent the past month and a half through hell enduring a stubborn UTI. After many a vet visit and accruing large bills, his urine culture just revealed normal urine (although he still has crystals). Since the ordeal began, I was feeding him Royal Canin Urinary SO per the vet's orders, according to the can's weight recommendations. I would also feed his kibble mixed with water to increase his hydration. It was more expensive than he previous diet of regular cans mixed with kibble, but I thought it was temporary.

I know now that taking him off would be at our own peril for symptoms to recur. I can't really afford to keep feeding him specifically that brand permanently, and I know most other prescription diets can also be pricey. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for any canned alternatives (maybe not necessarily prescription?) that might cost a bit less but function for mostly the same purpose.

Thank you
My guy has been on the Purina Pro Plan urinary wet (no prescription for years now). I add an extra tsp of water per day.

Choose a dry food that has blueberry or cranberry or similar in it for what you decide to feed in dry if you can. Raising the PH of the urine is important for crystals not to develop. "Senior" pet formulas tend to have lower phosphorus and have some added glucosamine so those can be excellent options. Nobel has Purina urinary with Blue Buffalo Senior mixed in.

What type of litter are you using? Clay and pine litters can also cause issues for some urinary issue cats. I switched to Walnut shell litter and then most recently paper litter. It wasn't until I got away from clay and pine permanently that he stopped having flare ups.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

käsekopf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My guy has been on the Purina Pro Plan urinary wet (no prescription for years now). I add an extra tsp of water per day.

Choose a dry food that has blueberry or cranberry or similar in it for what you decide to feed in dry if you can. Raising the PH of the urine is important for crystals not to develop. "Senior" pet formulas tend to have lower phosphorus and have some added glucosamine so those can be excellent options. Nobel has Purina urinary with Blue Buffalo Senior mixed in.

What type of litter are you using? Clay and pine litters can also cause issues for some urinary issue cats. I switched to Walnut shell litter and then most recently paper litter. It wasn't until I got away from clay and pine permanently that he stopped having flare ups.
I've had him on Purina Pro wet and so far so good with that. As far as litter he's always used World's Best, which is corn-based