Royal Canin So?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Anyone know why the canned version doesn't have DL-methionine? Its supposed to dissolve crystals but what is it in the canned formula? My vet only has canned til their order comes in. Debating getting RC or SD.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have no idea why RC SO does not have DL-methionine in it. Might be a question to ask your vet, or even the company.

But, I do know that Hill's C/D does contain it.

Here are the actual ingredients in both:

RC SO -
Water Sufficient for Processing, Pork By-Products, Chicken Liver, Chicken, Corn Flour, Chicken By-Products, Powdered Cellulose, Dried Egg Product, Calcium Sulfate, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Natural Flavors, Carrageenan, Fish Oil, Taurine, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Vitamins [Dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (Source of Vitamin E), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Niacin Supplement, Biotin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement], Trace Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate), Marigold Extract (Tagetes Erecta L.).

Hill's C/D -
Pork By-Products, Water, Pork Liver, Chicken, Brewers Rice, Corn Starch, Soybean Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Chicken Fat, Fish Oil, Calcium Sulfate, Guar Gum, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dicalcium Phosphate, DL-Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, Iodized Salt, Potassium Citrate, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, minerals (Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate), Beta-Carotene.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The dry SO does but not canned

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just checked the label again. Eek it's on there. The fighting is so small. I missed it. :( but did receive a reply I will post later

Bel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long has your cat been on SO for? If you want to switch I think Hills has C/D I'm not really sure it's much better though.
Another thing, is that my vet said that any wet food (if your cat is on that exclusively) works fine to prevent UOs and crystals. If your cats Uo wasnt to recent try talking to your vet about that as an option.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How long has your cat been on SO for? If you want to switch I think Hills has C/D I'm not really sure it's much better though.
Another thing, is that my vet said that any wet food (if your cat is on that exclusively) works fine to prevent UOs and crystals. If your cats Uo wasnt to recent try talking to your vet about that as an option.
Prevent maybe. But still dont have a definitive answer as to wether you need special food to dissolve them first. I have read dl methionine is what does it.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is on Royal Canin SO. My vet claims it's the "best" one, and the rescue we got Austin from claims that this is the only one that cats eat consistently. I just checked the ingredients on the can, and I don't see dl methionine listed as one of the ingredients in the pate, but I do see it on the one with gravy (which I just give him as a treat now and then, he only eats the gravy).