Royal Canin Kitten Spay Formula?

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

My female kitty was just spayed Wed and I had noticed Royal Canin had a spay formula? What is the difference? I do have new male kitten and would like to use the same food. I was just going to continue with the regular unless there is some reason I should change and buy for my female kitty?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most of Royal Canins breed and situation specific foods are gimmicks. The rare exception being the Persian formula really is easier for them to pick up due to their flat face and tongues. If you are going to change foods I would go to a different brand if anything. It should be noted that Royal Canins is the best option in several parts of the world so where you are and what other choices you might have is a factor in that discussion. But no, there is no value in switching to a spay specific formula.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I'm in Canada and I believe the plant is just a few hours away from me. That said if there is a better food for my kitties I'm all for it. The vet seems to think Royal Canin is a good food, but I have been reading lots to find the best one.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others that this food would not be a good choice. The only meat protein source is chicken meal, a processed for of meat, plus there are two sources each of wheat and corn, both of which are plant-based potential irritants to a cat's carnivorous system. "Spay formula" is very gimmicky!

With our two cats, spayed five-plus years ago, we find that the best way to control their appetites is to feed them a lot of meaty foods since that's what they (and, really, cats in general) crave. I'd suggest looking for canned foods with meat ingredients first, no grains, no potatoes, peas, and the like -- that's what keeps our cats quiet for hours! Don't be surprised, though, if your cats keep eating a lot after becoming alleged adults -- ours are six and they're still very active players and eaters!

Vega's Dad Vega's Dad is in Canada, too, I believe and might have some brand suggestions.

Last edited:

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Royal Canin's targeted foods are suuuuch a joke. At this point I wouldn't be too shocked if they came out with one called "Super Special Formula For Picky Cats" and put something different in every single bag.
:flail:
Anything for them to trick people into spending (way too much) money on their BS marketing strategy.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vega's Dad Vega's Dad is in Canada, too, I believe and might have some brand suggestions.
I believe a cat is a cat, no matter what breed or if spayed/neutered. I would choose good cat food: wet, first ingredient muscle meat, no/low carb etc. The main concern re spayed/neutered cats is body weight increase. To control calorie intake would be a better way of weight management than certain food, IMO.
Also, each cat is different. Vega's is 2.5 yo and spayed but she is super active. We play fetch all evening. She keeps running until tired but comes back after short breaks. Laser pointer, teaser and Hexbug are also her favorite toys. A couple of hours play time is enough to burn lots of energy. I still free feed her and can see her waist and feel her ribs :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks I will continue with the regular for now unless I find a better dry. I still feed both good quality canned twice daily. I appreciate the advice!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks I will continue with the regular for now unless I find a better dry. I still feed both good quality canned twice daily. I appreciate the advice!
It's great that you're already feeding them wet food twice a day. I don't really know the options for dry foods but the more meat in the top ingredients, the better!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

My female kitty was just spayed Wed and I had noticed Royal Canin had a spay formula? What is the difference? I do have new male kitten and would like to use the same food. I was just going to continue with the regular unless there is some reason I should change and buy for my female kitty?
As the others have said, gimmicky gimmicky gimmicky stuff. The ingredients suck, but for the price some of those "special" diets go for I'd expect it to be full of unicorn meat...not rice, corn, and sawdust. (The 4th ingredient is sawdust. No fooling.)