Royal Canin Gastrointestinal

cg33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had problems with Royal Canin gastrointestinal formula? We switched yesterday afternoon per the vet's recommendation because of irregularity issues. Within an hour, our 4 year old orange boy was so sick I was contemplating a 45 minute trio to the emergency vet. He lost all bowel control. Spent last night in the bathroom. The only change I can see is a trip to the vet (stress) and the food. He's better today, but we are withholding food until this afternoon. Has anyone else had issues?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
My Charlie has issues whenever it's been a quick transition to a new food, when it's been kitten to adult, and then most recently to the Hills K/D. In my experience, slowly mixing in more and more of the new food, while reducing the old, over the course of at least a week helps a lot.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have not. It sounds like something in the food really didn't agree with your cat. I would compare the ingredients with your normal food and see which are different. It is probably one of those two that your cat doesn't handle well.

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Catness can't tolerate max cat indoor did the same thing had to give the bag to a friend who's cats didn't have a problem with it. I would see if the purchased at store will refund your money the sometimes will if you talk with the manager. Catness does well on Blue Buffalo sensative Systems, purine one sensative Systems, solid gold tiger with the quail, solid gold chicken formula, and chicken soup for the soul chicken formula dry foods . She also eats friskies canned poultry varieties. Best wishes

colbey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I switched Blue to Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Fiber Response over a year ago. The vet recommended it because...well, I thought she wasn't eating enough, and she was only pooping every 2-4 days. Blue never had any problems with the food, but as others noted, I switched her slowly (partly because I was worried she wouldn't eat it). I know what I buy requires a prescription, so I buy it at the vet's office.
I agree with the others. First, check the expiration date on the bag; next, check the ingredients. Although, there's probably a huge difference in ingredients if you switched from a store-bought brand; in which case, seeing all the differences would likely be pointless.
Also, CALL YOUR VET! Let them know what happened, and see what they advise!
And, make sure he's drinking enough. Or, if he's eaten a canned cat food without problems, maybe give him some of that. I'm just thinking that if he had bowel movements--esp. if diarrhea--most of the night, he might be dehydrated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cg33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm happy to report that Howie is doing much better. I talked to his vet this morning and she started him on prenelozone for a week and back to the old food for now. If I try this again, I will do so very slowly... Howie spent a lot of time sleeping today, but he is eating and drinking. This evening he is friendly and engaged. My husband and I both think he looks thinner though. It was a bad bad night...

colbey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for posting the update! glad he's feeling better. well enough to eat and drink a bit, at least. poor guy.
please let us know how he's doing, and give him a little extra pet from me!