Royal Canin Food~Shortage Warning

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
This afternoon, I tried to order some RC prescription canned Rabbit for Geoffrey...
Chewy was out of stock!!!
I looked at Amazon, out of stock!
Called Petsmart. The manager said there is a WORLDWIDE shortage of ALL RC foods... especially affecting the prescription ones..
Apparently, there is an issue with ingredients.. The supply chain is affected!!

This is expected to extend all the way into at least JUNE!!
YIKES
The manager wished me luck on my search... He said that he is getting calls from the RC representatives to try to find RC food for Their pets... this is bad... very bad...

I looked at Chewy to see what they had for Rabbit.. I ended up with one which I never heard of.. so, we will try it.. if not edible, I will just donate it... The rabbit supply is pretty much wiped out!! I have one case, as a spare; with the old formula, that i have been mixing in with the new.. Geoffrey is not a fan of the new formula of RC rabbit.. ... now I will have this new one, just in case..

I just ordered another bag of RC hairball dry. I just got a bag of the RC dry Rabbit.. Geoffrey loves the dry foods.. Thinking of ordering another bag, this week.. dam..

The new food is GO... never heard of it... hate this..

I also, just in case, ordered some Dr Elsey's Turkey. I am trying to stay away from chicken.. and leave something like Venison or Pork, in case I need a never eaten protein for him, in the future.. I fear iBD.. I really do.. After Artie.. I am never feeding an all inclusive or mostly chicken diet.. As it is, Geoffrey gets some chicken in the furball formula dry food..

If you can, stock up on the food...

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet's newsletter mentioned this as well. I'm really upset because my boy is on a prescription food and if he doesn't get it, he gets raging diarrhea. We're looking to try raw for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I think this is horrible. I really do. Geoffrey has a vomiting issue. That is why I am giving him rabbit.
I used it for Artie.
Earlier in the year, January; I went through this when RC Change their formulas. There was a shortage them. I thought it evened out slayer that month.

Apparently, this shortage is new, from late last month.
Ugh.
I wonder if the supply chain has finally been affected by Covid.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this is horrible. I really do. Geoffrey has a vomiting issue. That is why I am giving him rabbit.
I used it for Artie.
Earlier in the year, January; I went through this when RC Change their formulas. There was a shortage them. I thought it evened out slayer that month.

Apparently, this shortage is new, from late last month.
Ugh.
I wonder if the supply chain has finally been affected by Covid.
I know it might be more expensive but does your vet have an online pharmacy,,,?

jstie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Been there, done that. My Werewolf is an IBD cat with a history of FLUTD, but he has been thriving on the RC S/O with hydrolyzed protein kibble. And yeah, out of stock everywhere I looked online. A couple of weeks ago I happened to be in my local PetSmart, and cruised the Rx food aisle - and lo and behold, they had 4 bags of it! I bought two (my vet had emailed me a prescription, and I could show it to them on my phone so they'd sell it to me!). So... don't necessarily believe what their online stock says - if you can check in person or call them live, you might get lucky. This is such a pain!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
This afternoon, I tried to order some RC prescription canned Rabbit for Geoffrey...
Chewy was out of stock!!!
I looked at Amazon, out of stock!
Called Petsmart. The manager said there is a WORLDWIDE shortage of ALL RC foods... especially affecting the prescription ones..
Apparently, there is an issue with ingredients.. The supply chain is affected!!

This is expected to extend all the way into at least JUNE!!
YIKES
The manager wished me luck on my search... He said that he is getting calls from the RC representatives to try to find RC food for Their pets... this is bad... very bad...

I looked at Chewy to see what they had for Rabbit.. I ended up with one which I never heard of.. so, we will try it.. if not edible, I will just donate it... The rabbit supply is pretty much wiped out!! I have one case, as a spare; with the old formula, that i have been mixing in with the new.. Geoffrey is not a fan of the new formula of RC rabbit.. ... now I will have this new one, just in case..

I just ordered another bag of RC hairball dry. I just got a bag of the RC dry Rabbit.. Geoffrey loves the dry foods.. Thinking of ordering another bag, this week.. dam..

The new food is GO... never heard of it... hate this..

I also, just in case, ordered some Dr Elsey's Turkey. I am trying to stay away from chicken.. and leave something like Venison or Pork, in case I need a never eaten protein for him, in the future.. I fear iBD.. I really do.. After Artie.. I am never feeding an all inclusive or mostly chicken diet.. As it is, Geoffrey gets some chicken in the furball formula dry food..

If you can, stock up on the food...
Hello again, artiemom artiemom and sweet Geoffrey! Have you tried Petco.com?
The Ever Given incident may have something to do with this. Have you liased with daftcat75 daftcat75 to see if he might have an alternative to suggest? His Krista had various health issues and was eating home-prepared rabbit among other foods. He's very helpful and he may have something good to try. Also, not sure if you'll have any success, but if you google/bing Royal Canin prescription rabbit cat food, you'll get a lot of listings for venues that are not as wellknown and perhaps one or more of these will have back stock. Worth a try?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello again, artiemom artiemom and sweet Geoffrey! Have you tried Petco.com?
The Ever Given incident may have something to do with this. Have you liased with daftcat75 daftcat75 to see if he might have an alternative to suggest? His Krista had various health issues and was eating home-prepared rabbit among other foods. He's very helpful and he may have something good to try. Also, not sure if you'll have any success, but if you google/bing Royal Canin prescription rabbit cat food, you'll get a lot of listings for venues that are not as wellknown and perhaps one or more of these will have back stock. Worth a try?
You know? There's a lot of things I miss about Krista. The monthly or sometimes twice monthly rabbit hunt is not one of them!

In Krista's last year or so, she could only have rabbit. She was reactive to everything else. And the only single protein rabbit brand I found that also did not have other ingredients she didn't tolerate like certain gums (carrageenan, agar agar, and xanthan gum) and cranberries (looking at you, Instinct!) was Rawz. Though Rawz had their own supply issues. I bookmarked the six or so online retailers that carried the Rawz rabbit pates. Every few weeks, I would open up all the tabs and go through each looking for a case or two.

I did also prepare homemade raw rabbit for her. But she was picky. And so was her gut. She liked the leg meat. The loin meat seemed too rich for her and she'd give it back. It took two whole fryers to get 1 lbs of leg meat. I found one place on the other side of the country who sold legs separately. But the shipping killed any savings. I did have beertender friends who would let me drink free on nights that I dropped off leg-less rabbit carcasses. They had less picky cats. I think if I had to do it again, I'd buy an electric grinder (I was using a manual while I was trying to find a recipe Krista liked) and do whole fryer grinds. But Krista had IBD/lymphoma and I worried about bone-in raw and constipation issues.

I don't know how helpful it is to go from one scarce brand to another, but maybe you can hedge your bets with more than one food he can eat. Rawz will send you samples if you write them.
Where to Buy | RAWZ

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know? There's a lot of things I miss about Krista. The monthly or sometimes twice monthly rabbit hunt is not one of them!

In Krista's last year or so, she could only have rabbit. She was reactive to everything else. And the only single protein rabbit brand I found that also did not have other ingredients she didn't tolerate like certain gums (carrageenan, agar agar, and xanthan gum) and cranberries (looking at you, Instinct!) was Rawz. Though Rawz had their own supply issues. I bookmarked the six or so online retailers that carried the Rawz rabbit pates. Every few weeks, I would open up all the tabs and go through each looking for a case or two.

I did also prepare homemade raw rabbit for her. But she was picky. And so was her gut. She liked the leg meat. The loin meat seemed too rich for her and she'd give it back. It took two whole fryers to get 1 lbs of leg meat. I found one place on the other side of the country who sold legs separately. But the shipping killed any savings. I did have beertender friends who would let me drink free on nights that I dropped off leg-less rabbit carcasses. They had less picky cats. I think if I had to do it again, I'd buy an electric grinder (I was using a manual while I was trying to find a recipe Krista liked) and do whole fryer grinds. But Krista had IBD/lymphoma and I worried about bone-in raw and constipation issues.

I don't know how helpful it is to go from one scarce brand to another, but maybe you can hedge your bets with more than one food he can eat. Rawz will send you samples if you write them.
Where to Buy | RAWZ
TYSM, daftcat75 daftcat75 and hoping that might help Geoffrey and artiemom artiemom

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwww.. such nice people here.
Thank you tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 and daftcat75 daftcat75 for the info... I will definitely Check it out. I did think of Rawz.. but they not not carried around here..

I did manage to snag some new rabbit food for Geoffrey.. It is 'Freely" a fairly new company, but it seems good. The supply is dwindling down, on Chewy.. so I ordered a bunch..
Geoffrey ate the first tiny can.. Then he balked at it... Not sure if he is playing games or not...
I mixed it with the RC Rabbit, which he is not a fan of.. but I do not want to tempt his tummy at all...

My rule is: He has to eat a good protio of the wet food, BEFORE he gets his dry.. He loves his dry.. I only give him the dry, because it does seem to be good for his teeth.. believe it or not..

Geoffrey is getting furball dry... I know.. it does have some chicken in it.. but.. it was Vet suggested, because he gets such horrible fur balls.. It does seem to help him.. I also give him some laxatone, just to get them out of him..
I guess that because of Artie, I am super cautious of things..

I also think that Chicken is overused in cat foods.. It is in everything. I think that is why so many cats are allergic to chicken.. That is al their diet consists of.. By giving them some chicken.. not much... and a novel protein, it helps counteracts the chicken effect... at least in my mind...
Who knows...

Speaking of Geoffrey, he was just jumping on the laptop.. This is his sign for me to get moving.. that I have been on line for too long.. and need to move.. Sweet boy.. and he wants his dry food.. He is now starting to moan and groan about it.. a daily occurrence, with me saying: "You know the rules. You have to eat your wet food, before you get your dry.. Now, go get num-nums.." "Go EAT"..
And this is when he gets mischievous..

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwww.. such nice people here.
Thank you tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 and daftcat75 daftcat75 for the info... I will definitely Check it out. I did think of Rawz.. but they not not carried around here..

I did manage to snag some new rabbit food for Geoffrey.. It is 'Freely" a fairly new company, but it seems good. The supply is dwindling down, on Chewy.. so I ordered a bunch..
Geoffrey ate the first tiny can.. Then he balked at it... Not sure if he is playing games or not...
I mixed it with the RC Rabbit, which he is not a fan of.. but I do not want to tempt his tummy at all...

My rule is: He has to eat a good protio of the wet food, BEFORE he gets his dry.. He loves his dry.. I only give him the dry, because it does seem to be good for his teeth.. believe it or not..

Geoffrey is getting furball dry... I know.. it does have some chicken in it.. but.. it was Vet suggested, because he gets such horrible fur balls.. It does seem to help him.. I also give him some laxatone, just to get them out of him..
I guess that because of Artie, I am super cautious of things..

I also think that Chicken is overused in cat foods.. It is in everything. I think that is why so many cats are allergic to chicken.. That is al their diet consists of.. By giving them some chicken.. not much... and a novel protein, it helps counteracts the chicken effect... at least in my mind...
Who knows...

Speaking of Geoffrey, he was just jumping on the laptop.. This is his sign for me to get moving.. that I have been on line for too long.. and need to move.. Sweet boy.. and he wants his dry food.. He is now starting to moan and groan about it.. a daily occurrence, with me saying: "You know the rules. You have to eat your wet food, before you get your dry.. Now, go get num-nums.." "Go EAT"..
And this is when he gets mischievous..
Does Geoffrey enjoy brushing? Baby Su and Elvis pester me for it. I use a slicker brush. Elvis does distribute his fur liberally throughout the house at this time of year, but furballs are hardly ever to be found.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Looks like the reply I posted last week was one of the ones that got lost during the downtime. Anyway, I posted last week, that the RC Selected Protein (Duck) veterinary canned food I buy for Ruby was out of stock. Just checked the vet's online store, and it's back in stock as of today. I'm in Canada, so supply chains may be different, but maybe (hopefully) supply will start to replenish in the US soon too.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does Geoffrey have a chicken allergy, IBD, or lymphoma? If so, you should always avoid chicken. Otherwise his immune system is always smoldering even if it’s not a raging fire. I blame this “just a little” thinking on why it took Krista so long to achieve remission. I’ll be left wondering forever what a difference 100% avoidance might have made. An earlier remission? No need for her middle ear infection and surgery? Who knows?

My theory is that there is nothing wrong with chicken and fish. It was “just a few fish flakes to help the medicine go down” that kept Krista’s immune system smoldering. Except. When combined with other inflammatory and irritating ingredients such as starches, grains, fruits, vegetables, gums, thickeners, and other non-animal foods that are foreign to a cat’s natural diet, an inflammatory reaction can occur in the gut. The gut membrane permeability is affected and food proteins that never should have made it to the blood stream in their in digested or partially digested forms are capable of passing through the gut membrane now. The immune system keys in on these proteins as foreign. While the gut is leaky, any food protein can potentially become a new learned allergy. The reason why food allergies are most often chicken and fish is because those are the two most common proteins in cat food. But in theory, he could become reactive to rabbit if his gut is still leaky. For IBD/lymphoma kitties, it is recommended to eliminate trigger foods entirely so you don’t burn through your novel proteins. Speaking of novel proteins, they only have to be novel to your cat, not all cats. If you never fed him chicken (that would be quite a feat since it’s in everything), you could in theory use chicken as your novel protein. But you don’t have to go as exotic as venison if your kitty likes beef or turkey. You do have to remove the trigger foods though if you don’t want to make a new allergy out of your novel protein.

Not everyone subscribes to/agrees with the leaky gut theory of IBD. But it makes sense to me in theory and experience with Krista. If chicken is an allergy of Geoffrey’s, I would advise to try harder to avoid it altogether. I would also work on reducing or eliminating the dry food as there are too many potential irritants that could be causing the irritation, inflammation, and leaky gut in the first place. It is possible and even likely that his continuing hairball problem is caused by continuing inflammation in his gut.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your theory sounds sound, daftcat75 daftcat75 ;)
In the wild, cats' main prey has always been small rodents, of which mice are the most predominant in most environments. Cats usually consume almost all of their prey, including stomach contents; and since mice eat grain, cats eat grain, second-hand. I've never understood the current "grain-free" trend, for this reason, or, for that matter, why mice are not offered as cat food commercially. Yes, one can buy frozen mice. But prepared for mass consumption, as tinned food, no. If one wants to feed any living being the best diet, I would think they'd feed the natural diet of that living being.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your theory sounds sound, daftcat75 daftcat75 ;)
In the wild, cats' main prey has always been small rodents, of which mice are the most predominant in most environments. Cats usually consume almost all of their prey, including stomach contents; and since mice eat grain, cats eat grain, second-hand. I've never understood the current "grain-free" trend, for this reason, or, for that matter, why mice are not offered as cat food commercially. Yes, one can buy frozen mice. But prepared for mass consumption, as tinned food, no. If one wants to feed any living being the best diet, I would think they'd feed the natural diet of that living being.
The amount of grain in a mouse’s stomach is so much smaller than what’s typically in a grainy recipe of cat food. It’s also pre-digested. There may be nothing wrong with the little bit of grain that’s in a mouse stomach. But a lot of grain in a tinned or dry food could be irritating. The dose can make the difference between medicine and poison.

From a food production point of view, larger animals are easier and more economical to raise. Especially when AAFCO has regulations about what can go into cat food. If you could make a whole mouse grind, that might not be so prohibitively expensive as having to butcher and process mice and remove the organs and tissues that are not allowed in cat food. Especially if it’s going to be a cooked food, now your usable meat to mouse ratio goes down even further and the cost to process goes up when you have to remove the bones. I did think about putting some feeder mice from the pet shop through my grinder for Krista. The pet store recommended against it. Apparently feeder mice for snakes are not nearly the same quality of meat as any of the canned foods.

I’m sure if there was some safe and sustainable way to feed mice to cats (besides letting them hunt for them), a boutique (or not so boutique) industry would have already sprung up around it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The amount of grain in a mouse’s stomach is so much smaller than what’s typically in a grainy recipe of cat food. It’s also pre-digested. There may be nothing wrong with the little bit of grain that’s in a mouse stomach. But a lot of grain in a tinned or dry food could be irritating. The dose can make the difference between medicine and poison.

From a food production point of view, larger animals are easier and more economical to raise. Especially when AAFCO has regulations about what can go into cat food. If you could make a whole mouse grind, that might not be so prohibitively expensive as having to butcher and process mice and remove the organs and tissues that are not allowed in cat food. Especially if it’s going to be a cooked food, now your usable meat to mouse ratio goes down even further and the cost to process goes up when you have to remove the bones. I did think about putting some feeder mice from the pet shop through my grinder for Krista. The pet store recommended against it. Apparently feeder mice for snakes are not nearly the same quality of meat as any of the canned foods.

I’m sure if there was some safe and sustainable way to feed mice to cats (besides letting them hunt for them), a boutique (or not so boutique) industry would have already sprung up around it.
Interesting points. Cats in their natural habitat never take down cows, deer, fish, or poultry. Such an unnatural diet.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting points. Cats in their natural habitat never take down cows, deer, fish, or poultry. Such an unnatural diet.
Bigger cats will take down and eat the bigger animals. I don’t think there’s that much difference in the digestion between different species of cat as there is between obligate carnivores (cats) and omnivores (dogs and people and other grain eaters.) I don’t believe there are bad animal proteins. I believe it’s the other stuff such as grains, gums, and other non-animal ingredients that opens the barn door in the gut. But due to their larger molecular size and the role proteins play in pathogen recognition, it’s the proteins that end up taking the immune system’s blame and wrath. I believe to be effective against gut diseases, you have to eliminate the original gut busters and throw out the reactive protein(s). A gut-healing collagen supplement couldn’t hurt either.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bigger cats will take down and eat the bigger animals. I don’t think there’s that much difference in the digestion between different species of cat as there is between obligate carnivores (cats) and omnivores (dogs and people and other grain eaters.) I don’t believe there are bad animal proteins. I believe it’s the other stuff such as grains, gums, and other non-animal ingredients that opens the barn door in the gut. But due to their larger molecular size and the role proteins play in pathogen recognition, it’s the proteins that end up taking the immune system’s blame and wrath. I believe to be effective against gut diseases, you have to eliminate the original gut busters and throw out the reactive protein(s). A gut-healing collagen supplement couldn’t hurt either.
Logical. I appreciate that.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Does Geoffrey enjoy brushing? Baby Su and Elvis pester me for it. I use a slicker brush. Elvis does distribute his fur liberally throughout the house at this time of year, but furballs are hardly ever to be found.
No, Geoffrey HATES to be brushed! It is a fight each time I try.. and then he vomits, the next day.. It seems while I am brushing, it causes more loose fur, he washes himself; it becomes a furball..
I can guarantee it..
I have tried so many brushes, combs, gloves... I mean it. i have drawerful of them.. The best I can do, is to try to do a tiny but every 2 days or so.. anything below his waist is off limits... The tail is the worst.

daftcat75 daftcat75 Your theory sounds so compelling... I am sure you are on to something.. I am not that deep into all of this..
When I adopted Geoffrey, I was a member of the Humane Society which sponsored him. I got to know him during my shifts, falling in love with him immediately. When he lifted up his left paw to touch me.. I was hopelessly in love.....
He was given up because the owner/guy had to move and could not keep him. I do not know what food his previous owner fed him..
He was given Friskies and Costco Dry food, for a week or so, while at the foster's..
Then he was transferred to the Humane Society where he got different food... He was subjected to a ton of changes.. in a very sensitive cat.. The last day, I caught him hiding in a pillowcase...

At the HS, he was given different food.. PetSmart Brand, Authority..
I noticed the day before I took him home, he vomited. I had to get my house ready for him.. so it took some time..
I took some food from the HS to get him going, and not mess up his stomach.. I slowly added Wellness because I thought it was a good food.

He started vomiting, almost immediately.. I even called the foster/rescuer to see what food he was eating.. I got the Friskies, but the vomiting did not stop..
This is when I decided to try a novel protein. Previously, I had Artie, who had IBD/Megacolon...
I immediately went back to the rabbit food, which I had great success with..

Geoffrey's vomiting slowed down, never fully stoping, but improved a lot...until I moved into this apartment.. He is a very very frighted, insecure cat. He felt comfortable in her. Actually, he loved it more than I did, at first. His vomiting stopped, almost immediately.. He stopped hiding.. he learned how to become a cat... I mean it..

We went a year without any vomiting issues.. Then, last summer it started again.. That is when I tried all the brushes, gloves and combs. Even took him to a specialist. Internal med Vet said he was fine.. on his blood tests and what he could see.. not sick enough for an endoscopy.. and is, fingers crossed not an IBD kitty... This is the same Internal Med Vet, I had with Artie, so he knows me... He said that Geoffrey, at this point is just a 'vomiter' suggested fur ball food... and more brushing..

My gut feeling is that Geoffrey either does have it now--mild case or will eventually come down with IBD.. just a gut feeling.. that is why I am not wanting to tempt fate by feeding him chicken, which is the number one allergen in cats... The fur ball food does contains chicken. I do not want to overdo it.. My gut feelings..

It does seem that he vomits more when I brush him.. I keep track of it on his own calendar.
At one point it was 3 times a week... cut back on brushing, it went to 5 times a month.. Now it is shedding season.. He sheds so much, and is always grooming himself.. I swear it is almost an OCD habit. He is kind of a psycho cat.. so, it would not surprise me..

He is so sensitive.. so frightened of any noses.. I live on the beach, and the spring?summer traffic/noise bothers him so much.. He hides under my bedspread..
It is quieter in there. If anyone comes into my apartment, he runs and hides either under the bed or under the bedspread..

He is a good cat.. does not really bite, or scratch.. Very Vocal.. Kind of mischievous.. at his ripe old age of 5 years old.. he was 2-3 when I adopted him.. I think he was an apartment "hidden" cat.. He was afraid of daylight.. hiding from it.. weird.. but he has blossomed in this new apartment.

He was so frightened, he was on Prozac for a year.. yes, he was that frightened.. kept meep all night,, so I could not get any sleep at all.. and hid during the day.. I had to close off all access to under my bed.. My room was a mess, with cardboard, books, everything I could find, to block off access.. I gave him hiding spots.. but if he went under my bed, he would not even come out for food.. perhaps a brief nibble, and briefly to use the litter box.. But I could not clean up the vomit, if he hid under the bed.. so I had to close it off.. i did nt have an extra room for him. Locking him in The bathroom was tooo cruel for me..

It took a lot of time and a ton of work, to get him to where he is today.. and I the he has really learned how to 'cat'.. because I was so patient with him, giving him so much freedom. I think he was locked in a closet, or bathroom at his former owners... hence a hidden cat..

He loves looking out the windows.. and Playing.. that is how I got him out.. Wand toys.. And talk.. OMG>>> Somedays, If eel like telling him to shut up!!! Yes, he knows that word.. and not from me.. I used it one time, his ears went back, he immediately stopped talking and ran under the bed... I felt so bad.. Sometimes he jumps backwards when I do certain movements, or things.. It is as if he is remembering his prior life; like PTSD... and was reprimanded for things.. He gets very frightened when that happens.. But I go over to him tell him I love him, and he seems to come out of it.. very quickly.....
He loves loves to cuddle... on top of the bed..

that is Geoffrey's life story...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have tried so many brushes, combs, gloves... I mean it. i have drawerful of them..
This is probably going to sound crazy. Or maybe not. But if Geoffrey will let you, try "lint rolling" him after you brush his fur. I did that with Ruby the other day, and ended up with 5 sheets of fur lined sticky layers. And oddly, she didn't mind it at all. So maybe worth trying with Geoffrey.