Rover pet sitting consider carefully when choosing

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
before you make this choice, please do your research. Here is a page of reviews and complaints where you can start. Research in almost all things can not be stressed enough. A pet sitter is much more of an unknown than a vet who at least will have a diploma on the wall. Note, I have not had personal experience with the company. You may find different reveiws at Google. If so, I urge you to post them.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would never trust my pets to a stranger but I understand why others have no choice. When we used to board our Alaskan Malamute, I did a thorough inspection of the place and the people who worked there. The owners actually lived on the property which was also a plus. We used to not have a sitter for our cats as they were on dry food only so we'd just load up a huge bowl of food and water and they were fine. Now that I have Boone and Gracie and they eat wet food twice a day, not sure what I'll do. Probably just never go anywhere for the next 20 years which is fine with me. :lol:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We HAVE"NT gone anywhere for the last 20 years because of all our cats, and though OK by me my husband wants a real vacation. We do take an overnighter several times a year and that helps but isn't the same. Since my 3 housecats have leukemia and take supplements every day, it will have to wait. My outside cats will be OK when we finally do go, I can hopefully have a neighbor stop by to check their food.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have not taken a vacation, per se, in years. At this point, the dog could not be left with anyone else, and the outdoor cats would be tricky, although I could probably hire someone to do that. Some members recommend care.com for pet sitting but I have never used them.

When my previous GSD was battling degenerative myelopathy and was entirely down in the back, my husband was offered comped rooms at the Bellagio and I refused to go. He still talks about it, although he did understand my commitment to my pets.

Twice in my life I have come upon pet sitters who were frantically looking for the dog or cat whom they allowed to get out of the house.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've heard negative remarks about Rover on a dog site I belong to and this goes back at least several years or more. My husband and I are extremely particular about who we allow to watch our pets especially if they are taking meds. The only vacations we have taken are to visit one of our grown kids. Because we have adopted all our animals except one from a shelter we will not board them. This is a personal choice and unless we have someone we know to watch over our animals we will not leave them. I met one of the best pet sitters we ever had when I was walking our dog in the neighborhood. She was a true angel and even when we weren't on vacation she would ask if the could come visit our pets. :rbheart: People like that are hard to find so yes, always do your research.

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just don't trust pet sitters. I'm sure plenty are animal lovers, but you know there are some flakes who just take it cos it's a job, and don't really care, do a half-assed job, don't interact with the cat, or don't even bother to come. I just don't trust it.

I either use my ex, who my cat is comfortable with, or she'll go to a cat boarding place that's been here for years and has great reviews. Trust a stranger to come in my house and take care of my cat? I can't do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another one, MG, is there no justice, no caring, is it all about how much money you can scratch out of people? And why did the owner believe them when they said they found Fran dead? I wouldn't have, I would have demanded DNA, photographs and other proofs.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Really suspicious chain of events. The quick cremation and no body to identify is a huge red flag. More than once in my life I have come across a person frantically searching for a pet, dog or cat, only to find out that it is the pet sitter who is looking as they are the one that lost them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My feeling was the 'find, cremate, and not send picture or footprint" was to get the owner off their backs. We continue our no vacation policy.