Roundworms

lilycat.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So basically, my friend found a little kitten that’s 4 months old at their grandmas house and i took her in. She unfortunately came back positive for roundworms. I read online that humans can also get roundworms. She was dewormed using a cream i had to apply to her neck about a week ago. I’m just wondering what the chances are of me getting roundworms because i am quite a germaphobe 😂. And also, how long do they last on feces and on clothing and everything? Whoever is reading this, please let me know, thank you!! Attached is also a picture of my kitten. Her name is lily 🥰

Attachments

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got kittens back in May that also had roundworm. Did not know until one vomited up a worm!! The dewormer should kill all the worms immediately. After ours got dewormer, the female pooped out another worm. Never saw any more but unless I caught them in the litter box, it was hard to tell if there were any worms because they buried the poop and it was covered in litter when I scooped. Recheck a couple weeks later and they were worm free.

As far as people catching it from the cats, I believe that happens if you get the infected stool on your hands and then ingest it. Just wash your hands any time you interact with the cats and keep their box clean and sanitized and you should be ok.

I just looked it up and this is what it says:

Yes, people can get roundworm from cats. If you touch soil contaminated by roundworms through animal feces, or handle an infected cat's stool, you can ingest roundworms. As with cats, roundworm larvae can invade human intestines. They can enter the bloodstream, migrate to vital organs, and also enter the eyes. :help:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, people can get roundworm from cats. If you touch soil contaminated by roundworms through animal feces, or handle an infected cat's stool, you can ingest roundworms. As with cats, roundworm larvae can invade human intestines. They can enter the bloodstream, migrate to vital organs, and also enter the eyes. :help:

Oh Lord, take me now. :shocked:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trust me, you don't want to see the pictures of them in the eyeballs.