Roundworms And Poop

Kylialle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I have accidentally touch a small piece of cat poop stuck on a blanket we have. We have been treating our cats for a roundworm infection for 5 weeks now. They’ve had Pyrantel twice now and a round of Advantage Multi topical flea preventative which also works on roundworms. We have one more Pyrantel treatment in a week. I washed my hands right away and am washing the blanket. Assuming the piece of poo has NOT been on the blanket for weeks (I wash it often), I should be fine right? The medicine should be preventing any adult worms left from laying eggs since it paralyzed them, therefore there shouldn’t be any eggs in the poop since we started treatment 5 weeks ago? I have a 5 month old daughter and I don’t want her getting worms as good old google has scared me into thinking she will go blind if she ingests an egg. Thanks in advance!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
You’ll be fine. You would literally have to eat the poop (sorry, I know that sounds really gross) in order to get roundworms. Mere skin contact is not enough to become infected, as roundworms grow in the digestive tract. Especially since they have been on treatment for five weeks, I would think that the roundworms would be gone already. Of course, keep giving them the treatment, per your vet’s recommendation, but I’d say you don’t need to worry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kylialle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I get very anxious about certain things! Worms gross me out! I appreciate your replies!