Roundworm and Drontal Questions

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have other posts about my new kitten and older cat but decided to start a new one. Bob the kitten was dewormed at the animal rescue originally in Sept with Drontal. Then the end of October I had his stool checked and the vet said he had roundworms. She gave me Drontal for both cats which I gave them. The kitten was fine with the pill but my other cat got really sick. No vomiting etc but I could tell she didn't feel good. I almost rushed her to the vet because I was so worried but it was late at night and the following day she seemed a little better. When I found out about the roundworms I replaced litter boxes litter etc. I'm home all day and clean litter boxes a few times a day because I'm paranoid. The kittens poop has gotten soft again (half solid half loose) so I went to the vet and got some more Drontal for both cats. Emilys poop is fine. This morning I gave the kitten another Drontal but elected not to give my other cat the pill because of the reaction she had. I'm just not sure if I need to worry about my other cat since I clean the litter boxes so often? Or should I just monitor Emilys stool? BTW I've checked with the vet and one tech there said one dose of Drontal takes care of the worms but another tech said a second dose is need so I'm really confused.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will kill worms but not eggs, so if one of them has already ingested eggs they will get reinfected when the eggs hatch and will require another treatment. Profender is another dewormer you could ask your vet about, it's a topical that you apply to the back of a Cat's neck rather than a pill so it won't cause loose stool.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd definitely ask about the Profender. I switched to it after an oral (and I'm ashamed to say I don't remember which one) caused some gastric issues with Hekitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your advice! As many cats as I've had over the years I've never had any worm problems. I'll check with my vet about that Prefender. I had never heard of it. I just hate putting insecticides on or in my cats if I don't have to. Thanks again