Rough Play

Tigger n Pooh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 2 fixed cats, brother and sister from same litter, about 7 years old and have been in our care since maybe 4 months old. They will lay next to each other and clean the other, and no hissing or growling ever. They play rough. We need to clean wounds on their backs (both of them) from razor sharp claws too often. One playful swat to my foot drew a lot of blood and they hardly touched me lol. Am I being overly concerned about wounds? I just started noticing wounds in the past few months. Suggestions to change the behavior please. They have a cat condo and some toys. I use a laser to distract them if I notice one stalking the other.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Try keeping their nails trimmed to cut down on accidental scratches. They clearly love each other so it's probably not intentional.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Your cats are getting older, and some have issues with retracting their claws as well as they did when they were younger. The most you can do is to trim their nails often and as short as is possible. Have your vet take a look to see if they can't retract them as they once did. But, if they scratch you, you should still say "OW" and pull away.

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Be vigilant about claw trimming!!! They grow out at different times and quicker then you'd think. untrimmed they are razor sharp!