Rotted Black Teeth / arthritis

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Okay thank you. I will look for these sprinkles. I like the idea of non invasive. Do you know how to sew results?
There is not much of a way to determine results from any of these joint supplements unless a cat is demonstrating signs of issues with mobility. They are merely done to help to diminish joint deterioration. In Feeby's case she was limping, diagnosed with arthritis, and the Glyco Flex Plus stopped the limping and kept on doing so for as long as she was willing to eat the chews.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
Could there be any reason in just two months her teeth would dissolve like this? Or was it more likely that it was missed?
~ Sounds obvious that kitty's teeth were not examined properly the first time . If it is the same veterinarian who examined the cat I would look for another Doc.
Don't feel bad. I have the worse experience with veterinarians. When they see me they must think " Here comes a sucker " ...
animated-smileys-thinking-17.gif
:kitty:

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your cat must do well with vet trips! Two of mine take that stress very hard. One has had to do laser treatments twice in her life. Multiple rounds due to vaccines given in her sciatic never. It made a huge difference and she healed fast but it was so stressful for her. Two of the cats are very high strung about that kind of stuff. Anything that includes trying to give medicine or multiple vet trips would be like torture.
for 15 yrs i never even got to pet her! then 6 yrs ago she got sick and had surgery. ihad to hire a mobile vet to aid in getting her in the carrier. since then she has had to go to hosp frequently. i saw how she was not combative with the doctors and realized the key to getting her in the carrier was to confine her in a smaller room/not my whole house. it was a process but it worked. then when the arthritis diagnosis came they put her on a very lo dose of gabapentin 12.5 2xdaily. she became a calmer cat. i could pick her up,kiss her smoosh her belly in was incredible after all those yrs and i never pill her. all medicine is treated like a game, mostly smoke and mirrors. i refuse to stress her or alienate her. so far, so good. i have a hard and fast rule at the vet and the hospital. if she gets combative just stop . we will reschedule. but her onco shaves her belly ev 6 mo with no meds and she has never gives her a problem. she is very patient with her. and i am very thankful.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your cat must do well with vet trips! Two of mine take that stress very hard. One has had to do laser treatments twice in her life. Multiple rounds due to vaccines given in her sciatic never. It made a huge difference and she healed fast but it was so stressful for her. Two of the cats are very high strung about that kind of stuff. Anything that includes trying to give medicine or multiple vet trips would be like torture.
lucky the laser helped! it didnt help my cat and the frequency was too much

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh wowone of my girls lay with legs stretched out like that. I had no idea that was a sign. Thank you
it hurts them to tuck.i think it is the bending of the limbs? i gave placide my heating pad and it was incredible to c her manipulate laying down to allow her legs on the pad. it broke my heart! now she sits tucked all the time. and everywhere! it took me a while b4 i realized how bad it was. it was the trying to jump on the bed and i heard her fall. that really made me start paying attention. it didnt happen every time but that thump upset me!. she sat on the floor and looked stunned. :alright: it took 3 shots of solensia to c her running down the hallway and jump on the bed to be by me. my girl is baaaaaaaaack! so i am thrilled

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is not much of a way to determine results from any of these joint supplements unless a cat is demonstrating signs of issues with mobility. They are merely done to help to diminish joint deterioration. In Feeby's case she was limping, diagnosed with arthritis, and the Glyco Flex Plus stopped the limping and kept on doing so for as long as she was willing to eat the chews.
Okay thank you. Man my phone makes some funny auto corrects and I never proof read. Glad you could understand that gibberish of…how long until you saw results lol.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
~ Sounds obvious that kitty's teeth were not examined properly the first time . If it is the same veterinarian who examined the cat I would look for another Doc.
Don't feel bad. I have the worse experience with veterinarians. When they see me they must think " Here comes a sucker " ...
It is the same vet! And I know believe that it was missed. I keep like a journal on my iPhone of when problems arise in the cats to try and track their gastric problems…trying to connect dots. If it’s stress, food or other changes. Anyhow I have some notes from a couple of years ago our old vet from before we moved said her tooth might be an issue at some point. Back then he said start prepping for weight loss to surgery would not become an issue. I had totally forgot all about that!!

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
for 15 yrs i never even got to pet her! then 6 yrs ago she got sick and had surgery. ihad to hire a mobile vet to aid in getting her in the carrier. since then she has had to go to hosp frequently. i saw how she was not combative with the doctors and realized the key to getting her in the carrier was to confine her in a smaller room/not my whole house. it was a process but it worked. then when the arthritis diagnosis came they put her on a very lo dose of gabapentin 12.5 2xdaily. she became a calmer cat. i could pick her up,kiss her smoosh her belly in was incredible after all those yrs and i never pill her. all medicine is treated like a game, mostly smoke and mirrors. i refuse to stress her or alienate her. so far, so good. i have a hard and fast rule at the vet and the hospital. if she gets combative just stop . we will reschedule. but her onco shaves her belly ev 6 mo with no meds and she has never gives her a problem. she is very patient with her. and i am very thankful.
That is so great you have found a way to calm her. And even better you are a strong voice for her. Doing the crate game is so awful in my household. Do you block off underneath your bed? I was recently watching a Jackson video that mentioned you should do this ongoing. How many times I’ve had to tear apart the bed to get a cat out for appt. I feel like this is one of the safe stops tho for door bell rings or ppl in the house etc. How do you give the gabby? Several years back my old rock star vet gave this so I could try and get a mat out of the girl who doesn’t like a lot of loving. She takes some petting but when she’s done, if I’m not, my arm will be in shreds. She only just the last two years or so started letting me love her/brush her some. After her big brother dog passed away, they were inseparable. I am the fill in now! Anyhow the gabby was liquid and trying to hold her down, my god. Her fish hooks tore me up. I had to do a dose the night before then 6 hours before grooming. I got two rounds down but it all backfired. The second time she spit the second dose out all over her long mane. She ended up with a huge Mat on the side of her neck. Between the two of us we got it out but to this day she still looks kinda lopsided! But like yours my cats are extremely well handled with the vets. The tolerate be handled, nail clips, everything with no issues. Gosh if I try to even touch anyones foot!!

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it hurts them to tuck.i think it is the bending of the limbs? i gave placide my heating pad and it was incredible to c her manipulate laying down to allow her legs on the pad. it broke my heart! now she sits tucked all the time. and everywhere! it took me a while b4 i realized how bad it was. it was the trying to jump on the bed and i heard her fall. that really made me start paying attention. it didnt happen every time but that thump upset me!. she sat on the floor and looked stunned. :alright: it took 3 shots of solensia to c her running down the hallway and jump on the bed to be by me. my girl is baaaaaaaaack! so i am thrilled
I can only imagine how hard that is watching your baby go thru that. I really glad she is doing better. I have a heated blanket for my oldest cat. She lost interest so I put it away. We just got a spell of cold weather, I think I am going to pull that bad boy out and see if she will curl up in it. I also wanted to comment about how you said you have a vet aid to come help with crating your cat before. That could never happen in my home. 2/3 are scared to death of ppl. They are fine once at the vet but it’s a no go with being around ppl in the home.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can your talk to your vet about a calming product?
A previous vet sold me some kind of calming treat but the cats would not eat them. I was able to get a couple in their system at one point and I saw no change.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are other calming products on the market, maybe something else will work better.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are other calming products on the market, maybe something else will work better.
@JamesCalifornia
thanks guys this is a great idea about a calming item. I would love for them to have less stress. They are still pretty high strung from our recent multiple moves. I bought this house in June and I feel like they are still not comfortable. Still very jumpy. That is their nature but I feel like things should be calming down some! I will ask this new vet about some different options.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know what they 'feel' for to determine arthritis. Initially, many times it is seen on x-rays, but somehow, they can feel it to some degree. That is how an orthopedic vet said Feeby had a hyper-extended wrist. So, there must be things about how the joints feel.

The joint support supplements might be the best bet for your cats at this point. Cosequin or Dasuquin come in capsules that can be opened and sprinkled onto food. They also have chews in both of these, as well as Glyco Flex. In your case I would be inclined to try any of these before moving to injections.
Hi again ! I’m reading about Cosequin and Dasuquin trying to place my order. I see they are both made by the same manufacture. They both run .30/ pill at chewys. From what I can find on google is that dasuquin as asu but read that can cause issues with sensitive tummies?? Cosequin has a regular and a max strength. I’m thinking of starting out with Cosequin max strength on the two younger cats with the flinch. My older cat only eats baby food with minimal bites of canned food due to botched teeth surgery. She eats small amounts thru the day and I don’t put it all down at once or the other cats will eat it. I guess I can sprinkle in the jar.. idk I’m leaning towards maybe getting her the shot because it’s hit or miss on how much she eats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it is likely that glucosamine is the culprit for warnings about potential stomach and/or digestive issues, and that is in most all arthritis supplements. But I really haven't read much on this site about issues for those that use these products. There are soft chews if you think she would eat those instead of relying on the capsule form.

As I think I said before the Solensia is not to help with joint aide, just pain. But you might be referring to Adequan which does have joint support.

I don't think you said (sorry if I missed it) - I was wondering if you are adding supplements to her baby food meat to make them nutritionally complete for a cat. EZComplete is a pre-mix that can be added to all of the baby food meat flavors besides chicken (something to do with the existing amount of calcium in the chicken baby food meat, which is also included in the EZComplete). Alnutrin has a supplement that would work for the chicken flavor, but it has to have other nutrients added to make it complete. You can read about them just by doing an internet search on both names.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it is likely that glucosamine is the culprit for warnings about potential stomach and/or digestive issues, and that is in most all arthritis supplements. But I really haven't read much on this site about issues for those that use these products. There are soft chews if you think she would eat those instead of relying on the capsule form.

As I think I said before the Solensia is not to help with joint aide, just pain. But you might be referring to Adequan which does have joint support.

I don't think you said (sorry if I missed it) - I was wondering if you are adding supplements to her baby food meat to make them nutritionally complete for a cat. EZComplete is a pre-mix that can be added to all of the baby food meat flavors besides chicken (something to do with the existing amount of calcium in the chicken baby food meat, which is also included in the EZComplete). Alnutrin has a supplement that would work for the chicken flavor, but it has to have other nutrients added to make it complete. You can read about them just by doing an internet search on both names.
You’re right, my mind was getting mixed up on the shot vs supplement for a hot minute. I’ll have to rethink that for the older cat on what to do. The baby food is a new adventure for us and I am not currently adding anything to it. She only eats chicken. I’ll have to google those add ins, thank you.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can only imagine how hard that is watching your baby go thru that. I really glad she is doing better. I have a heated blanket for my oldest cat. She lost interest so I put it away. We just got a spell of cold weather, I think I am going to pull that bad boy out and see if she will curl up in it. I also wanted to comment about how you said you have a vet aid to come help with crating your cat before. That could never happen in my home. 2/3 are scared to death of ppl. They are fine once at the vet but it’s a no go with being around ppl in the home.
[/QUmy girl is an only child. good and bad to that! but she ran into a bathroom,only open door! she is so much better. all credit to gabapentin, arthritis, and the slowness of aging! i guess every cloud has a silver lining. did u try the heating blanket yet? i hope it works

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A previous vet sold me some kind of calming treat but the cats would not eat them. I was able to get a couple in their system at one point and I saw no change.
i did c them on line but i am always very hesitant to give something for her to ingest. i sometimes wonder if i am being overly cautious. after the FGESF and a very restricted diet, i fear it might cause problems? saw 3 diff vets and the response was "well, she's old" "keep a log" "shes too old for prozac" "maybe pay her more attention" "try feliway" it is difficult because we r together 24-7. so i dont get a break.