Rotation

TG1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I started my kitten on Sheba pate. Would it be a good thing to just leave her on Sheba Pate exclusively or should I put her in a rotation with Friskies poultry pate as well? And if so, how often should I rotate? 1 day Sheba the next Friskies, every few days or rotate between the two within the same day?

Linda Dwyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
neither one of them is good food, to many carbs which are not good for cats. Orajin is the best of the best for dry food, followed by Fromm and fromm also makes a wet food. You should be feeding a high quality grain free food for a healthy cat or kitten with a nice coat. And I'd be suspicious of any food made by purina, they use rendered meats in their foods, rendered meat is dead, dying and sick animals all ground up and added to the food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TG1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She hasn't eaten much dry food. She has been eating mostly wet food which is great. I was referring to Sheba and Friskies wet food not so much their dry food.

neither one of them is good food, to many carbs which are not good for cats. Orajin is the best of the best for dry food, followed by Fromm and fromm also makes a wet food. You should be feeding a high quality grain free food for a healthy cat or kitten with a nice coat. And I'd be suspicious of any food made by purina, they use rendered meats in their foods, rendered meat is dead, dying and sick animals all ground up and added to the food.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure, you can rotate them, cats like variety. Just try to stay away from too many fish flavors. My cats eat both these brands, plus Fancy Feast too.

TG1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sure, you can rotate them, cats like variety. Just try to stay away from too many fish flavors. My cats eat both these brands, plus Fancy Feast too.
Great thanks! M maggiedemi how often do you rotate between the 3?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finish up one can before I start the next. You can do it either way, one day of each brand or two brands in one day. I just make sure to rotate flavors like chicken, turkey, beef so they aren't always eating the same thing.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Firstly, Sheba is low carb and is a decent food. Any canned food is better than dry, in my opinion. As for your question, rotation is definitely a good thing! My boy has anywhere between 3-6 different brands and varieties at a time and I usually give him a different meal at each feeding. It's easier for me right now as he's a kitten and eats an entire 3oz can at one sitting so I don't have any leftovers but some of his rotation is in the 5.5 cans and I have a cover for that. Currently he gets probably four different varieties and flavors a day because he's a spoiled brat. :lol:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about carbs for a growing kitten. Adult cats should ideally not be fed more than 15% or so carbs, because a carb heavy diet over the course of years can lead to health issues such as diabetes.

If your budet allows, you can buy some higher quality foods and put them into the food rotation so your kitten has a wide variety of flavors. Chain pet stores often have big sales on good quality brands of food so that's a great way to stock up.

There is no wrong or right way to rotate foods. Some people rotate every day, others do it a few times a week.

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually, Poultry Platter is one of the best Friskies recipes. No grain content. Nutritionally it will be fine for your cat, if it eats it.

kttn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
just saying sheba and friskies are not good foods
they are fine foods. and depending on someone's budget restrictions they're actually very good compared to the alternative. they are low carb and inexpensive too.

anyway, rotate your wet foods regularly (i switch them out daily). you don't want your kitty to become addicted to a particular brand or flavor. i recommend Fancy Feast (classic variety) as well, it's comparably priced to Sheba. it's NEVER had a recall and is extremely low carb. i also like chicken soup for the cat lovers soul.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually, Poultry Platter is one of the best Friskies recipes. No grain content. Nutritionally it will be fine for your cat, if it eats it.
It does have rice but I agree it's one of the best Friskies or the best :)

TG1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the responds guys.
I have Mia on a rotation of Sheba, Friskies and Nutro for now. My question is I bought Nutro duck, but didn't realize it said adult cat on it. I thought it was kitten version. Should I return or is it now a big deal?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for all the responds guys.
I have Mia on a rotation of Sheba, Friskies and Nutro for now. My question is I bought Nutro duck, but didn't realize it said adult cat on it. I thought it was kitten version. Should I return or is it now a big deal?

You can still feed it. Mix it into kitten food so it doesn't go to waste.