Rosie and Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Pam, and thanks for visiting us at TCS!!

A bit of background information on my three cats. Their all spayed and neutered, and no medical problems.  

They all get along great apart from this small problem with Rosie and Jack. Rosie has played Mother to both Jack and Sophie when they were kittens by grooming them etc.., and Jack especially is really close to Rosie. He follows her around like her shadow and cuddles up to her, with Rosie grooming him daily. 

It all started last year with Jack  who’s 5 and Rosie who’s 10. The bedroom lights went out and after 10 minutes or so l heard one of them hissing and growling. I switched the light on and found it was Jack hissing at Rosie who  was  standing in the wardrobe.

The only thing l could think of was that Jack got spooked because he didn’t know she was there?, but for two weeks after  Rosie was terrified of Jack  and wouldn’t come downstairs because he actually attacked her in the early hours one night.. After 2 weeks everything was back to normal with the help of Feliway, and Rescue Remedy until the next episode.........

Earlier this year l accidently locked Jack in the kitchen for 2 hours, so when l got home l opened the door and he came running out, but it was Rosie’s turn to start hissing?. Jack went on the defence again and l had to keep them separated for a few weeks, only letting them be together lf l was there.

Several month’s on their fine again when it comes to cuddling etc... and l can leave them alone together no problem during the day and at night as long as there’s a light on, but Rosie won’t come upstairs now even during the day. She’s obviously still scared,  and It seems to be mainly when it’s dark that he goes to attack her, because when l carried her up to bed at night and the lights went out that’s when he would stand and stare at her ready to pounce and it stressed her out, so for this reason l just leave Rosie downstairs and close my bedroom door so Jack can’t get to her, but once in daylight their fine?. 

I’ve made a bit progress by throwing some treats up the stairs for her to get her confidence back, but she’s still very cautious and watches my bedroom incase he comes out. 

A few weeks ago Rosie was four stairs from the top getting the treats l threw when Jack came running out the bedroom and stopped at the top of the stairs. He looked at Rosie as lf to say “Who said you could come up here?!”, and on cue she came running back down them. It’s like he’s dominating her?!

One of the other Moderators mentioned about a collar with a bell for Jack so Rosie could have advance warning that he was coming, but l've tried several times unsucessfully when he has a kitten, and Jack got it caught in his mouth one day so l playes safe and kept it off him.

The Feliway has been plugged in all this time, the vanilla extract and Rescue Remedy used, so l’m hoping you can help me sort this out?  

Last edited:

johnson-bennett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Thanks for the warm welcome.

In your post you mentioned that the cats are all healthy but I'm just wondering if there's a possibility of some cognitive issues with Rosie or maybe even some vision problems. If so, it could change her behavior enough to cause a change in the relationship dynamics. At 10, she's at the age where feline cognitive dysfunction could be a possibility. Are there any other changes in her behavior (unrelated to her issue with Jack) that you've noticed? Also, when you had Rosie examined by the veterinarian did he/she say there were any changes happening with her vision or hearing?

In the meantime, you need to limit their exposure to each other in the situations where they can get upset because that will just keep the cycle going on. Allow them to be together only during the day when there is light. I would also increase the environmental enrichment factor so that there are other things to distract them. Set out puzzle feeders, other puzzle toys, make sure there are plenty of opportunities for them to focus their energy on positive, fun and constructive things instead of targeting each other.

Make sure there are plenty of hiding places for each cat as well as plenty of elevated locations. The more you increase vertical territory, the greater the chance of having them seek out those places instead of engaging in a physical confrontation.

Pam Johnson-Bennett, CCBC

Cat Behavior Associates

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, the vet checked her eyes and ears and they were fine?. And other than Jack stalking her at night there's no other change with any of them.

Rosie went up three stairs this afternoon, and stood looking up them for about 30 seconds. She knew Jack was in the bedroom, then she decided to play on the stairs and chase her tail.

I'll get a higher cat tree, but basically are you saying to keep things as they are, especially at bedtime with Rosie downstairs?. If so will this have to be their routine from now on?

johnson-bennett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would still talk to the veterinarian to make sure there isn't any cognitive issues happening. Also, keep the cats together ONLY in the environment where they feel comfortable. Let each cat sleep where they feel comfortable. Don't have them together in low-light situations. Provide lots of environmental enrichment so the cats have other things to work off their energy instead of going after each other.

Pam Johnson-Bennett, CCBC

www.catbehaviorassociates.com

Status
Not open for further replies.