rose experts - need your advise

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I own a townhouse where the association dosen't allow me to plant anything into the ground that is not an annual. Since I love roses this past spring I decided to buy this great rose bush which I replanted into a good size pot and keep on my back patio where is it doing very well.

Now, how do I winterize it. Do I need to do anything / do I bring it inside / do I cover it ???

Help would be appreciated ...

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
Originally Posted by Hell603

Now, how do I winterize it. Do I need to do anything / do I bring it inside / do I cover it ???
'what garden zone do you live in? that would dictate of how you treat it. tell us where you live and we can help. and is it a multiflora? climbing rose? hybrid tea? you see its more complicated than you thought ( grin)

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Roses in pots require special care to overwinter in cold climates where the temperature falls below freezing

If you have some area where you could bury them at least 12-18' deep, I guarantee they will survive the winter. I mean cover them up like you were digging a grave. Lay them on their side in the hole, pot and all. Line the hole with shredded leaves or wood shavings. Make sure they go dormant before you bury them. Dig the hole in early fall and have it ready in case the real cold weather catches you off guard.

If you have no access to a place to bury them, then I suggest you let them go dormant and store them in an unheated garage. They will be ok as long as the temp in the garage doesn't drop below 20 degrees. If it does then wrap an old quilt or something like that around them when it drops below 20 degrees.

Remove it when the temp goes back up. Make sure you don't let the soil dry out. You don't want to keep the soil wet but if the soil is allowed to dry out so will the bushes and they will die. If you have room in the garage, set the pot in a large tub and surround it with wood shavings, compost, soil or shredded leaves piling them high over the bud union.

Keep them away from a fiber glass door or window. Light coming thru will warm up the plant and cause premature bud swelling which could get frozen at night and also kill your rose. These methods are extreme but I feel they offer the best choices considering.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ahhhhhhh

I live in New Jersey but I don't know the name of the type of rose it is - I'll do my best to describe it though.

I believe it would be a climber since I had to put a small trellis in the planter to keep the from spreading out too much. It also has multible small roses approx 1/2 inch in diameter at the end of each branch. From what I remember the tag did mention something about it being hardy - one of the reasons I chose it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the soil is alkaline, you could run into extreme iron deficiency problems. The best way to remedy it is to purchase special rose soils and lay them on top of the bed.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
Originally Posted by Hell603

ahhhhhhh

I live in New Jersey but I don't know the name of the type of rose it is - I'll do my best to describe it though.
trim it back a little well before halloween. water less because you dont want it freezing and splitting the pot. then put it in a spot that has some protection from wind and bitter cold. Mulch the pot and keep your fingers crossed. Next spring, cheat and put it in the ground ( grin) .

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason it may not survive in the pot is plants in pots will freeze a bit differently. Is there perhaps a shrub that you could dig a hole and sink the pot in the ground behind it where do one would notice??? Cut it back to (after 3 continuous days of 28F) which could be end of Nov beginning of Dec. (the hole would need to be dug and plant sunk buy this time though) Otherwise you could try as advised to mulch the entire pot and cross your fingers!!