Rooster

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There is a rooster who has been sighted a few blocks from me and there have been multiple posts on Nextdoor about him. Some people in the area do have chickens although I don't know what zoning is or if the rooster is allowed but that does not bother me either way. His MO is that he stays within about a 1 or 2 block area and some people would like to rescue him and get him to a decent home. This morning I walked to his normal location and found him crowing on the front porch of a house and pecking for food on the lawn as if he was eating. He looks thin, but I don't know how roosters are supposed to look. I went home and got some cracked corn and some small grain dog food and put it out for him. He ran to get the corn but when I put more on the sidewalk where people have been trying to feed him he came over and ate only a little bit of it. He did not try to run from me, but I made no attempt to touch him and he was fine with about a 10 foot distance between us.

Does he sound lost? Abandoned? Do roosters roam around like a stray dog would? My husband says that they don't leave their general area but I am not sure he knows that for a fact. What do they eat? Does he need to be rescued? I brought a good sized dog crate with me but it was clear that he was not going to walk into it for the food so I did not try that.

Attachments

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What you've got there is a Polish rooster. Noted for the frizz of feathers on their head. Good looking bird. If there is a 4-H group in Los Angeles you could see if they have a poultry club. Someone is sure to want him and might come and rescue him.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He also needs access to water. If he is wandering loose I would worry about predators. Does anyone on Nextdoor have an idea who he belongs to or can they put up lost signs? Bless you for trying to rescue him until his owner can be found. :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you both for the help. I did find a phone number for the 4H Club locally. He seems to be attached very closely to a specific house so I will try to pursue it from there. As with all social media, a lot of people get involved and no one seems to get to the bottom of the question. He may have a home in that area and I will investigate.