Romaine Lettuce Recall

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Just saw a follow up article. They're still saying romaine isn't safe, but think the source may be California. They haven't confirmed that though.

It’s still not safe to eat romaine lettuce

Think I'm just going to buy a variety of lettuce seeds for patio planters. Leafy greens grow really well here all winter, unless we get a very lengthy hard freeze.
Lettuce is a cool weather crop and thrives in 60 to 70 degree weather. If 75 or more it goes to seed faster.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh. I just bought some cauliflower on Sunday. I hope it's not from the recall farm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There should be a label on the package saying where it was grown. If you threw away the wrapper (or it isn't labelled), I would cook it, and not eat it raw.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They said the recall for other produce was voluntary and none of them tested positive for e.coli so it's just out of an abundance of caution.

It must be really hard to keep e.coli out of the water supply in a farming area. I'm not allowed to drink from my well (or even use it to water food plants. Watering flowers is OK) because there's a hog confinement less than a mile from my house. If there's any livestock near that produce farm they're going to have a lot of trouble keeping their water uncontaminated.

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ The lettuce they do sell here has almost doubled in price ! ` :bawling:
California isn't importing lettuce from other states now, are they?

Before they pinpointed the e.coli source to the one farm, they linked the shipments broadly from the state, and there was a suggestion in an article to look for labels on romaine not grown in California once the FDA allowed romaine back on the shelves.

An outbreak like these could happen on any farm though, regardless of location.

How much are you paying in California for lettuce?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There should be a label on the package saying where it was grown. If you threw away the wrapper (or it isn't labelled), I would cook it, and not eat it raw.
United States. How helpful.
20181218_183439.jpg

I was planning to cook it anyway. There was a new recipe on my meal app for cauliflower mac 'n cheese, so hopefully cooked it'll be okay.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
United States. How helpful.
View attachment 267058

I was planning to cook it anyway. There was a new recipe on my meal app for cauliflower mac 'n cheese, so hopefully cooked it'll be okay.
Awww...shoot. That's not very helpful, is it. I know I read an article talking about buying romaine from Florida and a couple of other states instead of California. ....but the USDA or FDA (or whatever alphabet soup overseer) only requires the country of origin to be labelled. :doh:

Anyway, it should be okay cooked. To Willowy's point, they did say this latest recall is with an "overabundance of caution", not because they actually found anything harmful.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just looked at online prices for our regional grocery chain. Iceberg is $1.28 and leaf lettuces, including romaine, are $1.58.

I don't eat much salad because I get tired of it before I finish and it ends up refrigerator "mush". Plus...these recalls make me want to just cook everything.

Nothing like a nice, fresh crisp salad when you're craving one though.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have to say I was really missing my romaine. Salads are my go to healthy meals. Couldn't stay away so I had some panera bread salad over the weekend and I noticed there were just a few tiny pieces of romaine in it. Guess they're being cautious too.