Romaine Lettuce Recall

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where did you buy that?! I want some. I love Kimchi, but they only sell mild in the stores here, which doesn't even taste hot.
Look around for a restaurant or ethnic grocery store that may have Korean owners/customers. There's an "Asian fusion" restaurant here with a Korean owner who makes her own kimchi and it is the BEST. They call it "kimchi salad" on the menu for some reason, so ask about anything vaguely kimchi related.

Spinach was recalled a few years back for e. coli. It's fairly common in leafy greens of all sorts. It's not just about fecal bacteria on the outside of the leaves, but because they take up water and if the water is contaminated, now it's IN the leaves and can't be washed off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just saw a follow up article. They're still saying romaine isn't safe, but think the source may be California. They haven't confirmed that though.

It’s still not safe to eat romaine lettuce

Think I'm just going to buy a variety of lettuce seeds for patio planters. Leafy greens grow really well here all winter, unless we get a very lengthy hard freeze.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't buy that one. I'm korean so i imagine that would taste horrendous. I see some at sprouts and it just looks bad too. You would be much better off picking up a jar from a korean market. :)
We don’t have a Korean market. :(

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don’t have a Korean market. :(

Maybe an online Asian grocery web site would have kimchi? I know there are US based Asian grocery web sites. I recall seeing one mentioned in Christopher Kimball's Milk Street Magazine.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Kimchi is also cheap and not overly complicated to make yourself. Maangchi will show you how!
She's amazing and I could watch her all day.