Rolling in the litterbox

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Marilyn!

My 14-year-old neutered male Mr. Underfoot likes to roll in the litterbox if I use any type of clumping litter. Since I'm concerned about him ingesting large quantities of litter when he bathes himself after rolling in the litter (not to mention the ick factor!), I've been using Feline Pine, which he won't roll in. I think the larger texture doesn't say 'sand' to him the way clumping litter does.

Unfortunately, when I use Feline Pine, another of my cats won't bury his waste - he just 'dumps and runs'.

If it's at all possible, I'd like to get feedback on either getting the one cat to stop rolling in the litter, or getting the other cat to bury his waste in the Feline Pine. Ideally I'd like to be able to use a clumping litter for better odor control.

I'm afraid to scold Mr. about the rolling because I don't want to create a negative association with the litterbox in his mind.

We have 4 indoor cats and 3 large litterboxes (Sterilite tubs with a hole cut in one side to allow for easy entry/exit). I use the tubs because 2 of my cats (Sylvestra, a spayed female, and Oreo, a neutered male) will spray when they urinate in the box, and the tubs seem to be the best way to contain it.

Other than those issues, no one seems to have any problem using the boxes - I've been blessed with cats who aren't fussy about what kind of litter I use and can easily be switched from one litter to another without complaint.

Any advice you can give is appreciated - thanks for taking the time to read this!

thecatcoach

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally, I would stick to the feline pine and clean the box after it's used each time. All of your cats are using it, it's just a little inconvienent because your one kitty doesn't bury his waste.
Marilyn Krieger, CCBC
www.thecatcoach.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline Pine it is, then!

Thank you, Marilyn!