Rodent ulcers - how do I know what’s causing them?

Jskarh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
I joined this site hoping I could get some help as I’m getting increasingly desperate with my 1yo cat Cheddar. Forgive me as this post will be long

Cheddar has been getting rodent ulcers since he was 5 months old. They started off quite mild, the first one he’s had went away by itself before he could be brought to the vet and I thought he bit something that’s cut his lip.

Second one appeared about a month after and he was taken to the vet, given a steroid shot and we were told to contact the vet if he gets one again. A month later, another ulcer. We were then given steroid pills which worked great, he kept getting ulcers and we would treat them for about 4 months. Then I ran out of the prescription.

Cheddar was brought back to the vet who wanted to stop giving him steroids after he’s gained some weight. They thought it was unnecessary for him to keep taking them. Now this is where my problem starts.

I think I have done everything I can to find a cause for Cheddars ulcers and the vets are not being very helpful. I’ve been reading so much about causes, food allergies, seasonal allergies etc. I’ve swapped his plastic bowls to ceramic. I’ve cut grain out of his diet. I thought he’s allergic to fleas, there’s so many things I’ve suspected and every time I think of something I’m met with the same response from the vet. “He’s just unlucky”

I strongly believe he’s allergic to something in his food. He’s very picky and loves Felix which I know is bad, trust me I’ve tried every food that’s available in pet shops in UK from cheap to very expensive, tried food subscriptions, even bought him Hill’s Science Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach kibble but I cannot get him to eat wet food that isn’t Felix.

A month ago I thought I would cut Felix out of his diet and try him on hypoallergenic tuna wet food. He had the worst ulcer right after that and we went to the vet again where he got given antibiotics and Metacam. After a week his ulcer did go down and I’ve stopped giving him tuna.
I thought I would try him on Applaws chicken food but he doesn’t seem to be a fan of the texture so I had to go back to Felix (poultry only) and I thought I’d try a new food I’ve found in a supermarket which claimed to be premium and healthy but I’ve only just found that there is fish in both the Chicken and Turkey sachets.

He’s now gotten another ulcer barely a week after his big one disappeared plus some really itchy chin acne. I’m now thinking he’s allergic to fish in general. Or better case scenario he’s just allergic to something in the cheap crappy food he loves so much.

Either way I have no idea how to help this poor guy. Everything I’ve done has been my own initiative after researching this by myself as my vet has been very dismissive but I’ve reached a point where I’m running out of ideas. Do I give him purely chicken food? Maybe pork? I’m scared to give him any fish.
Please if you have any experience with ulcers share your thoughts because I’m losing my mind and money taking to the vet every 2 weeks.
Thank you

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stress is a big cause of them. Do you run calming agents? What's your schedule like? How often are you cleaning his bowls? I had a girl who would get them and it usually had to do with not cleaning her bowls daily. Also, going to the vet is stressful and all the changing of food and stuff can also be stressful.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Cheddar has been getting rodent ulcers since he was 5 months old.
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

Food allergies may be one cause for rodent ulcers. The other cause may be from the plastic or rubber bowl or plate that Cheddar is eating from as materials like plastic and rubber can cause rodent ulcers if they are not cleaned well after each meal.

Plastic and rubber tends to have cracks in them after sometime and in the cracks harbors bacteria and these cause rodent ulcers. Best is to use porcelain or stainless steel dishes to feed your cat with. Also porcelain plates or bowls mat have micro cracks and these cracks also harbors bacteria and it's a good practice to soak them on hot water once a day to kill off the bacteria and on top of that, porcelain and stainless steel utensils are far more better than plastic or rubber utensils for food.

Don't leave food in plates or bowls over a period of time and also wash them after each meal.

Edit : If you need to leave out food for her, have more than one dish so that you can clean, wash and let dry the other before changing plates/bowls. If you are able to wipe her chin after each time she finish eating, that will help too.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I had a cat many years ago who got rodent ulcer repeatedly. I’d take her to the vet for a steroid shot, and it would disappear only to come back a few months later. It wasn’t as bad as Cheddar’s sounds, but it was bad enough. I finally discovered it was being caused by a milk allergy. I was giving her a couple of teaspoons every morning as a treat. Once I stopped giving her milk, she never had another flare up.

So in addition to experimenting with different proteins like pork or beef and taking fish out of his diet, you’ll need to read labels very carefully not only of his food but also any treats you might be giving him.

Poor guy. I hope you can figure something out!

Swanlinnet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat developed a rodent ulcer a name I never knew until the vet gave me its name. The vet prescribed medication which my cat would not eat crushed in his food. These things do grow worse .....BUT ...at the consultation with the vet he explained the lip was troubled by a Rodent Ulcer ......AND ....he added ...they were 'harmless. And so with that knowledge I didn't give it much thought when my cat was not taking the medicine. The rodent ulcers have persisted and upon a return to the same vet he was suggesting the ulcers were now necrotic. I will stress here I never jeopodise my cats health meaning I never google things which I have even the slightest hint of needing the attention of a vet. In other words, I take him to see the vet. It's just the vet saying that 'they are harmless' ...words to that effect.....were untrue.