Road trip with kitties

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Wall Street Journal had an interesting piece about people traveling with their cats, mostly because they found themselves forced to on short notice.

In general, cats don't like riding in cars like dogs do, which the article made pretty clear.

But there's exceptions . . . .

The big thing is to get the kitty or kitties accustomed to riding and to the vehicle. If you know you're going on a trip and have time to prepare, start by taking the kitties in the car with you, and be sure to stuff things under the seats so they won't go under there. A motor home is better, but ditto about hiding places.

A session or two of just sitting, followed by short drives will help a lot. Many cats will protest, especially if they're in carriers.

When I was 19, I lived in my car in Texas for a while, with my kitty cat, who adapted well. I brought food and litter in the car, and he slept in my sleeping bag with me. The big key was to get him used to being in the car with me before we went. (The litter box scared off the world's pushiest "hitchhiker.") I'd park on South Padre Island, open the window, and kitty would jump out and frolic on the dunes; when I started the car, he ran over and jumped inside. I did that to make sure he was safe at night.

So, if you have thoughts, questions, etc., ask or give.

And have a nice trip.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I love traveling with my dogs, too, but with my cats not so much. Just a ride to the vet would cost me my eardrums. The complaining never ends until they get back to the house. LOL.

But I dream of having all of them (dogs and cats) bundled up in a motorhome or just on a regular car and travel where it leads us; watch the sunrise and sunset; have coffee by a deserted beach with them freely running around; sleep under the stars. I hope I can fulfill that dream soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love traveling with my dogs, too, but with my cats not so much. Just a ride to the vet would cost me my eardrums. The complaining never ends until they get back to the house. LOL.

But I dream of having all of them (dogs and cats) bundled up in a motorhome or just on a regular car and travel where it leads us; watch the sunrise and sunset; have coffee by a deserted beach with them freely running around; sleep under the stars. I hope I can fulfill that dream soon.
Cats don't like the thrill of adventure like dogs usually do, unless the dogs are carsick. It's a good idea, if you're going to the vets, to put the kitties in carriers. And, yeah, they cry.

But they can adapt fine with prior prepping, if you can take the time.

If you have a vehicle, put the kitties and doggies with you as you sit in the driveway or parking lot. Leave them out of carriers, if you can. Sit and read, talk sweet and soothing to them, pet them. Put on soft soothing music. (Tastes do vary, Tar Baby, pictured below, hates Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston when they hit those glorious soaring notes. Others don't seem to mind as much.)

Do the sitting thing a couple times, then do it with the engine running. Then take a little drive (maybe 10 minutes) with everyone on board. You may find that some critters really do get car sick, and someone like that I wouldn't take on a road trip.

Over time, gradually increase the time spent in the vehicle and include food water and litter. They'll make themselves at home. My kitty got used to things in a few days.

tar baby taxes curly toes.jpg