Road trip out of state with recently transitioned to indoor cat

lindara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all- Wondering if anyone had ideas.... We are relocating to VA from FL and will be doing a 15 hour car trip(possibly in 2 days with a hotel stop) with a recently transitioned to indoor semi feral who was previously a strictly outdoor cat. She has seemed to transition really well even though our house is in the process of packing up and a lot of unusual activity. She had come in and out of my house before the packing tho so maybe that is why she is somewhat comfortable with the place. I wanted to transition her indoors before the big move and it has gone well so far.

I acquired some gabapentin from my vet for the trip which he dosed 50mg tab up to 2 times a day. Any thoughts on this? Is this enough generally? Also, I have a feliway plug in house right now and bought a spray to use in her carrier before we leave as well and I have been putting rescue remedy in her water bowl. (I may try to give her orally as well on day of car ride) I am nervous about how to pill her as well bc don't know exactly how to do other than to "burrito wrap" her in a towel and force in mouth with a pill popper without getting bit hopefully! I have never owned a cat before so this is all new to me!

I'm so glad now I saved her and will not have to worry about her care when I leave! Thank You in advance for any and all suggestions!

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had to start giving my cat medicine recently and my vet gave me “pill pockets” which are these little treats you hide the pill in. So far they’re working well. My cat is very tiny so I only use half of the pocket. She eats them though, pill and all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the suggestion but she does not really like those(tried before to give some meds in)

lindara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm more worried about the trip in general as well bc I dont know how long she can go without a litter box/food/water? thoughts? I think if she relieves herself in the AM before we leave she can last a while at least? thoughts?- will be nervous to even let her out in a hotel room bc of where she can possibly get into....I may just put her in closed bathroom?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – TheCatSite Articles
How Can I Give A Pill To My Cat – TheCatSite Articles

Jamie takes 100 mgs of gabapentin before he sees his cardiologist, but the intention is to make him ready to have an ultrasound, whereas you are trying to keep your cat calm, not knocked out. We can't discuss dosage, but your question is valid and you might ask your vet if he thinks that the 50 mgs are enough.

I would take no chances in the hotel whatsoever. If keeping her in the bathroom overnight is the best solution, do it. It is not inhumane to keep her secured for one night of her life, as opposed to losing her in a strange city.

If you are comfortable with the purrito and pill popper, that is absolutely fine. My Chelsea took all of her prescriptions that way. The articles above discuss hiding pills and administering the pill. If there is any food that might appeal to your cat which is safe for a cat, give it a try. Even foods like butter, in a small amount wrapped around the pill, are not going to be a problem.

Getting cat to take medication
Won't take medicine

Thank you for taking this cat with you. She clearly feels as if she belongs and would be lost without you.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve given all of mine gabapentin at various times but always in capsule form. I open the capsule and mix it into their canned food; they eat it with no hesitation, even the picky eaters. You might try crushing the tablet into powder and mixing it with something smelly like tuna.

I’ve traveled cross country numerous times with three cats. The longest stretch was 10 hours. I bought crates that were a bit larger than regular carriers so I could put a small litter tray in there, but none of them ever peed while we were underway. They also refused to drink. They preferred to hunker down and look miserable…after complaining bitterly for the first 60 miles or so. On the other hand, my parents’ cat was perfectly relaxed in the car and usually used her litter box at least once. She also drank when they stopped at rest stops. So it depends on the cat.

Hotel rooms can be a challenge (make sure it’s pet friendly). Many beds these days are on platforms, but there’s still space where the headboard meets the wall. I’ve been lucky and have been able to stuff pillows in the gap so the cats can’t get behind and under the bed. You would need to check to make sure there isn’t a space under the side where she could worm her way up and over. I’ve also been unlucky and ended up completely dismantling the bed to get at the cats! That was fun.

I’d say keep her in the bathroom except that kinda makes it unusable for you. They’re such escape artists. The smallest opening and out they shoot. You can get a collapsible crate that you could set up for her in the hotel room. She won’t like it, of course, but we’re talking short term. Mine actually seemed to consider it a place of safety. I covered most of it with a sheet so they had a kind of cave.

I hope your travel goes smoothly and your kitty manages it well!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if you’ve never dosed her with gabapentin or gone on a car ride longer than the vet, I would ask the vet if you could get an extra dose or two and do a practice dose and drive. I would certainly want to know how she reacts to both the gabapentin and freeway driving before you got on the road for the long haul.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Y'know... This might be a good thing, once everything's all over.

If she was an outdoor cat, she had territory. Even if you bring her indoors, that territory map is still in her head.
Now, if you move several states away, you'll be putting her into new, unfamiliar territory. That will make her more likely to stay in the house.

We adopted Casper from a rescue group that's located over 100 miles away from where we live. One of the things I was concerned about was Casper trying to return home to his old haunting grounds. I figured 100 miles was far enough and it has been.

This house and a certain buffer zone around it is now Casper's territory and he's happy in it. His former territory as an abandoned, outdoor cat is nothing but a distant memory, anymore.

I'm betting that, one you get your cat settled, her old territory will become a distant memory and she'll be happier inside your new home. :)

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all- Wondering if anyone had ideas.... We are relocating to VA from FL and will be doing a 15 hour car trip(possibly in 2 days with a hotel stop) with a recently transitioned to indoor semi feral who was previously a strictly outdoor cat. She has seemed to transition really well even though our house is in the process of packing up and a lot of unusual activity. She had come in and out of my house before the packing tho so maybe that is why she is somewhat comfortable with the place. I wanted to transition her indoors before the big move and it has gone well so far.

I acquired some gabapentin from my vet for the trip which he dosed 50mg tab up to 2 times a day. Any thoughts on this? Is this enough generally? Also, I have a feliway plug in house right now and bought a spray to use in her carrier before we leave as well and I have been putting rescue remedy in her water bowl. (I may try to give her orally as well on day of car ride) I am nervous about how to pill her as well bc don't know exactly how to do other than to "burrito wrap" her in a towel and force in mouth with a pill popper without getting bit hopefully! I have never owned a cat before so this is all new to me!

I'm so glad now I saved her and will not have to worry about her care when I leave! Thank You in advance for any and all suggestions!
daftcat75 daftcat75 recommed this:

ELITEFIELD 2-Door Soft-Sided Dog & Cat Playpen, Navy Blue & Beige, 36 x 36 x 24-in - Chewy.com

I have used these Soft-Sided Playpens over many years - but ONLY FOR KITTENS or VERY SICK CATS.
A healthy adult cat or a nervous cat will play with the netting or try to escape and panic - the playpen collapses, folds in upon itself and you have a cat in a bundle of cat litter, water, food and anything else you had arranged nicely in the pen. When this happens in my living room it's bad enough - but in a hotel room!!! You can practice keeping her in such an enclosure before you leave but I would definitely prefer using a solid dog carrier for an adult cat.
Good Luck!

lindara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the great responses and ideas! I DO have a very large dog crate I can possibly put in the hotel room for her but really the bathroom would prob work just as well. Hiding in the hotel bed definitely scares me! HAHA
We may try to tough it out and make in one day? but I would need to give her a break and at least try to see if needs litter box and water/food right? How do I do this in a car? That's why we most likely will stop and make it in 2 days instead.
She is very smart ..when I have tried to disguise meds/even crushed up before even with stinky tuna or otherwise before but I am getting her used to a stinky "Delectable" treat now before we go so maybe I can hide the meds in that.....really don't want to stress her out with a "mock" ride beforehand. I may try hiding in the treat once before we leave to see if she'll take that way... otherwise I think the pill popper is my choice bc she may bite for sure. I'm reading all the tricks of medicating your cat on this site and I'm amazed at the people who can just open the mouth with fingers and pop it right in!! Don't think she'll let me do that and will run and hide immediately afterwards anyways most likely! Wish me luck!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s not that hard to offer a litterbox in the car. Assuming you haven’t packed every corner of it. And this also assumes that you can herd your cat back into the carrier after her break.
E0294249-418D-4F63-8417-79903B54B744.jpeg

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
It’s not that hard to offer a litterbox in the car. Assuming you haven’t packed every corner of it. And this also assumes that you can herd your cat back into the carrier after her break.
That’s how my parents handled it. They were lucky that Emily was very good about going back into her carrier. Mine would NEVER have been so accommodating!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 recommed this:

ELITEFIELD 2-Door Soft-Sided Dog & Cat Playpen, Navy Blue & Beige, 36 x 36 x 24-in - Chewy.com

I have used these Soft-Sided Playpens over many years - but ONLY FOR KITTENS or VERY SICK CATS.
A healthy adult cat or a nervous cat will play with the netting or try to escape and panic - the playpen collapses, folds in upon itself and you have a cat in a bundle of cat litter, water, food and anything else you had arranged nicely in the pen. When this happens in my living room it's bad enough - but in a hotel room!!! You can practice keeping her in such an enclosure before you leave but I would definitely prefer using a solid dog carrier for an adult cat.
Good Luck!
I got a bigger one. I think mine might be the 60x60. But Chewy wasn't linking to the larger size. I don't see the build construction being an issue with the larger size. There is no chance the cat will collapse the pen from the inside with the one I have. The top and bottoms need to be zipped off before the sides can even be moved. Then it is an elaborate origami procedure that I usually have to look up on YouTube to get it to fold back to flat.

If you have time, I would encourage you to practice every bit of this trip that you can--the dose, the drive, the kennel, etc--so that everything will feel that much less stressful on the big day(s.) You don't want to find out the dose or the kennel is wrong when there's nothing to be done about it.

lindara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI everyone!
Just wanted to give you all an update because you all were so so helpful with suggestions on this big undertaking! The drive and temporary move went VERY smoothly. I'm so grateful to all your urgings and words of encouragement that I could do this! She did not make 1 peep the entire trip! The only problem is I know she was a little stressed because she would not eat, drink or use the box at the hotel or even when we got there. It was a 2 day trip- 15 hours of car ride but she was soo good. When we got here (very large house rental) I put her in a master bedroom closet and made a fort for her in the corner and she pretty much stayed in that room for a couple days (did not use the box for another whole day so I was close to taking to the vet by the 3rd day!) Finally. she was relaxed and is settling in nicely. Explores the whole house now and enjoys the bird watching from the windows! We just bought a new house after about a month here so unfortunately she will have 1 more move (local and close by tho) to a very large house with lots of great windows which she loves to look out and can see more wildlife from!

I am so glad I saved her and brought her with me and wanted to thank EVERYONE for all your great suggestions. I would have been worried sick to think what could have happened to her if I had left her behind (another home that is- not abandoned outside ever!) She is now on to the next step of getting used to a collar-HAHA! We don't want to take a chance of losing her and put a tracking tag on it! LOL
She is still adjusting some but doing really well overall!

This is a FANTASTIC site- so encouraging and positive and helpful and could not have done this without you! Keep up the great work!
Happy home- happy kitty!

lindara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI everyone!
Just wanted to give you all an update because you all were so so helpful with suggestions on this big undertaking! The drive and temporary move went VERY smoothly. I'm so grateful to all your urgings and words of encouragement that I could do this! She did not make 1 peep the entire trip! The only problem is I know she was a little stressed because she would not eat, drink or use the box at the hotel or even when we got there. It was a 2 day trip- 15 hours of car ride but she was soo good. When we got here (very large house rental) I put her in a master bedroom closet and made a fort for her in the corner and she pretty much stayed in that room for a couple days (did not use the box for another whole day so I was close to taking to the vet by the 3rd day!) Finally. she was relaxed and is settling in nicely. Explores the whole house now and enjoys the bird watching from the windows! We just bought a new house after about a month here so unfortunately she will have 1 more move (local and close by tho) to a very large house with lots of great windows which she loves to look out and can see more wildlife from!

I am so glad I saved her and brought her with me and wanted to thank EVERYONE for all your great suggestions. I would have been worried sick to think what could have happened to her if I had left her behind (another home that is- not abandoned outside ever!) She is now on to the next step of getting used to a collar-HAHA! We don't want to take a chance of losing her and put a tracking tag on it! LOL
She is still adjusting some but doing really well overall!

This is a FANTASTIC site- so encouraging and positive and helpful and could not have done this without you! Keep up the great work!
Happy home- happy kitty!

lindara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
By the way- I wound up keeping her in the hotel bathroom to be safest and I gave her 1 1/2 times the gabapentin dose before travel as well as at hotel that night to keep her less stressed and it was just enough for calmness. She took it fine crushed with a "Delectable" spoonful treat! So no stress with giving! (she would take treats, just no food on trip)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for the update! It is great to know that it all went smoothly and that she was so calm. She knows that she is safe with you and wants to be with you and that, at least in part, was responsible for her relaxed behavior.

lindara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the update! It is great to know that it all went smoothly and that she was so calm. She knows that she is safe with you and wants to be with you and that, at least in part, was responsible for her relaxed behavior.
Thank you! You have been especially helpful in the past when I was first deciding on if/how to adopt this girl! Have a great day!

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
That’s terrific! Moving is stressful at the best of times, but when you’re also worried about how your little fur friend will manage, it’s doubly hard. If only we could explain it all to them! I’m glad you’re all there and safe. :catlove: