Road trip from FL to CA with 2 cats

aarias

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some ideas and suggestions regarding a big change in my life.

I am relocating from Florida to California and have to travel by car with my two cats. Yes, I understand it's a long journey but I have to do it. Of course I am trying to make this as smooth as possible of a transition for my cats.

They are both 4 years old (siblings, boy and a girl) and I had them since they were 4 weeks old.

This is how the trip is gonna look like

Leaving on a Wednsday morning leaving Orlando, FL, driving for 9 hours (with breaks) spending the night in New Orleans, LA.

Leaving Thursday Morning, another 9 hour drive to San Antonio, TX spending the night there).

Leaving Friday Morning, 9 hours drive, then spending the night in Deming, NM.

Leaving Saturday Morning, arriving in Long Beach, CA (Final Destination)

I am looking for general advice and ideas on how to make this as pleasant for my cats as possible.

The thing is I do know they don't really like being in a car. The last time I moved it was only a 30 minute drive but they were meowing like crazy....nonstop. Someone told me I can give them children benadryl. Is that accurate and for how long?? I mean we'll be on the road for 4 days and I don't wanna risk their health.

So any suggestions to make this experience for cats (and humans) as easy and painless as possible I am seeking your advice.

Thank you so much for your assistance.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you can give a dog children's benadryl, but I'd call and ask a vet if its safe for cats.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
you can call your vet and ask about sedatives and anything else that might make the cats more comfortable.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234428 this thread should give you ideas too.

I assume hotels allow cats for the night, or wherever you're staying? I'd suggest getting some disposable litter pans for them to use at the hotel and during your break stops.

missamy018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently moved 900 miles with 10 cats and 1 dog in the car. I used dog crates for the transport, the foldable kind. I had a large one, 2 medium ones, and a small one all fitted into my SUV and I put hammocks in them so the cats had some room to move around during the long trip. I didn't give them any drugs or use any calming sprays. Like most cats, they also hated being in the car and they were anxious and meowed their little heads off during the first hour or so, but then they went to sleep and were fine the rest of the way. There was a bout of meowing here and there, but no one panicked and we all made it in one piece with no traumatic memories.

If you plan on giving them any type of sedative, I would suggest using it a few times before the actual trip just to make sure that they don't have a bad reaction to it. I moved from WV to South Florida and made several trips back and forth for Christmas and visiting and whatnot. On the first trip, I gave one of my cats a sedative from the vet and he freaked out, had diarrhea everywhere, it was horrible. I ended up having to leave him with my mom because he was so spazzed out by the sedative that he couldn't make the trip.

My final trip moving back home took 22.5 hours with a u-haul attached to my SUV and stopping for naps at gas stations. I couldn't stop at a hotel with so many cats. Even for a 22.5 hour trip, all kitties did great and came out of it okay. They got to sleep the whole time!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have made several long trips with my boys.

I don't recommend sedatives. Even my crybaby Xander just meowed for the first 20 minutes or so, or when we would stop for breaks. The rest of the time they just slept in their carriers.
We used disposable litter boxes in the hotel room (Super 8 allows them with an extra fee) and kept one in the car for emergencies. One time Riley was meowing so badly that I just knew it was that "I gotta go!" cry, lol, so I let him down into the floorboard to use the pan, then we wrapped it in a bag and tossed out at the next rest area trashcan. Disposable aluminum baking pans are just the right size for that.

Also get some Feliway spray and spray their carriers, inside of vehicle and inside of hotel room. If possible, try to have familiar blankets with your/their scents on it to put on the bed. Familiar things will help them as well.

Traveling with 2 cats is not fun, but it is not terrible either. Much easier than small children

Oh and NEVER EVER NEVER open the car door unless cats are securely in their carrier.

jinxywinx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

I have made several long trips with my boys.
Oh and NEVER EVER NEVER open the car door unless cats are securely in their carrier.
This is so true. My mother's cat ran away on her cross-country move at a rest area.

I traveled from PA to CO with one cat a few years ago, and I agree with everyone here in regards to not worrying about the sedative. My cat cried for about 20 minutes, but stopped after that. She mostly just slept.

I am not sure if you have looked up any hotels to stay at along the way, but I know that most La Quintas allow pets. I worked at one here in San Antonio that allowed pets and it required a deposit, but unless the animal tore up the room, everyone I checked out got their deposit back.

lovely2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Three words: disposable litter pans. I wouldn't have lasted through this past move without them.

zoey602

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for asking this question! It's looking likely that I will be making a similar move next summer so it's great to have some insight about what does/doesn't work.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aarias

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some ideas and suggestions regarding a big change in my life.

I am relocating from Florida to California and have to travel by car with my two cats. Yes, I understand it's a long journey but I have to do it. Of course I am trying to make this as smooth as possible of a transition for my cats.

They are both 4 years old (siblings, boy and a girl) and I had them since they were 4 weeks old.

This is how the trip is gonna look like

Leaving on a Wednsday morning leaving Orlando, FL, driving for 9 hours (with breaks) spending the night in New Orleans, LA.

Leaving Thursday Morning, another 9 hour drive to San Antonio, TX spending the night there).

Leaving Friday Morning, 9 hours drive, then spending the night in Deming, NM.

Leaving Saturday Morning, arriving in Long Beach, CA (Final Destination)

I am looking for general advice and ideas on how to make this as pleasant for my cats as possible.

The thing is I do know they don't really like being in a car. The last time I moved it was only a 30 minute drive but they were meowing like crazy....nonstop. Someone told me I can give them children benadryl. Is that accurate and for how long?? I mean we'll be on the road for 4 days and I don't wanna risk their health.

So any suggestions to make this experience for cats (and humans) as easy and painless as possible I am seeking your advice.

Thank you so much for your assistance.
I would recommend you speak to a licensed veterinarian you trust for tranquilizers for such a long trip. It will keep human and animal happy for such a long trip

Originally Posted by Arlyn

I know you can give a dog children's benadryl, but I'd call and ask a vet if its safe for cats.
Yes, always ask your veterinarian
. But with my experience you can give cats a Children's Benadryl. I am not sure I would use that for such a long trip as a tranquilizer.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I crossed Europe with 5 cats when I relocated a few years back. It was a two day trip -12 hour stints each day. The cats were in dog crates - 2 in one, 3 in the other. I lined the crates with puppy trainer pads and folded towels and also had small litter pans. At night I transferrred them into the hotel usingsoft-sided carriers that squashed down for traveling. One tip - it is much easier and safer to travel them wearing harnesses and leads - if necessary get them accustomed to them beforehand. You can then get hold of the lead before taking them out of the cage. ANd as said - arrange the car so you can access the doors of the cage from the front seat so you can transfer them with car doors closed.

I found that my cats ate and drank almost nothing when travelling, but were very hungry at night. I put kibble and water in feeders attached to the cages but they hardly touched it.

Take lots of paper towels and plastic bags - you will need them. I used a feliway spray in the car, but I don't know if it did any good. They complained some of the time each morning, but mostly settled down. One was sick the first day but no other problems occurred.

Good luck