• Most likely

• Definitely not

Results are only viewable after voting.

RivertheRagdoll

Moggy Doll
Kitten
Purraise
River the kitten

I know this sounds really silly, but I do not have any paperwork for my kitten and I'm not sure what breed she is. I am assuming she is a Ragdoll as she has the temperament and characteristics.

I've done a lot of research and she looks to me to be a Seal Lyxn Point Ragdoll (not sure if that makes sense) but all her points are dark in colour and she very faint patterning on her coat however no blaze or markings on her face. Her eyes are also more blue than they appear in the photos.

However I've seen Bermans and Siamese that also sort of look like her. As she is only 10 weeks old I am not sure if it is possible to tell at this stage. She is also on the larger side for a kitten her age, as my mom has a Domestic shorthair/ragdoll mix that's the same age and he is half her size (though I do believe he is the little fighter of his litter) anyway I digress...

This post is just to ask more experienced owners or even breeders, their opinion on what breed my kitten may be.

Thank you all in advance.

Also if you have any other info you would like to give me with regards to my kitten, please feel free. I'm just happy to talk about her if I'm honest :)

Niki x

Attachments

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
What a little cutie! Looks like a seal point domestic to me — I don’t see any strong indication of breed ancestry, personally. The point gene did originally come from Siamese cats donkey years ago, but at this point it’s a recessive gene common in the randombred and feral cat populations.

I’m fairly certain she’ll be a shorthair when grown, based on the length of fur around her tail and paws, though theoretically she could grow into what’s colloquially known as a mediumhair (genetically you only have LH and SH) . Ime, though, longhairs (mediums included) will have longer fur on the tail that your little one has, so I’m inclined to think she just has kitten fuzzies that will go away with her adult coat. Only time will tell for certain what her coat will be like when grown, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RivertheRagdoll

Moggy Doll
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, I think the same to be honest. She has seal point colouring but, yes reading more today, I do believe she is a standard moggy. As her mom isnt a ragdoll and her dad looks like a ragdoll Persian type but again from no particular lineage.

She is beautiful, and I'm absolutely smitten with her. She has a great temperament also.

Seal Point Domestic :) aww thank you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes. Also, the question is, if she is a fuzzy shorthair kitten, or a longhair with summer hair...
If we assume she is a shorthair, she will be a somewhat look alike to a siamese old type. If longhair; a somewhat look alike to a balinese old type...

RivertheRagdoll

Moggy Doll
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I have found the photos of her with her mom and brothers, apparently her mom is a Burmese (pictured) and her dad is a ragdoll. There are papers for the mom but nothing for the dad. Obviously as there are no papers and the fact that she is mixed breed means she's a moggy anyway, but it will be interesting to see how she turns out. She has a different coat to my previous "moggies" as it almost looks like she has an under layer and then the fluff but again, I'm sure that's because she is a kitten.

I have attached photos of her with her mom and siblings.

Nature is crazy.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, a combo of burmese and siamese genes! That will make her a look alike to another type of old type siamese - at that moment I dont remember their name - Thai? [tonkinese] Anyway, these are such a genetic combo, the body shape is as if old type siamese; and they do usually have blue eyes.
This combo often dont have blue eyes, because the burmese gene doesnt carry blue eyes.
But its fully possible to breed on blue eye carriers... So purebred cats of this [tonkinese] breed are blue eyed, almost as typical siameses.

Last edited:

RivertheRagdoll

Moggy Doll
Kitten
Purraise
Honestly you all make this so interesting to me, it's like another world. River is purely a pet, but its like having a baby, I want to know as much about her an her genetics. So many different breeds and variation of cat, and such higher standards for pedigree than with dogs. Thank you for all this information! I've learnt so much.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update: I have found the photos of her with her mom and brothers, apparently her mom is a Burmese (pictured) and her dad is a ragdoll. There are papers for the mom but nothing for the dad. Obviously as there are no papers and the fact that she is mixed breed means she's a moggy anyway, but it will be interesting to see how she turns out. She has a different coat to my previous "moggies" as it almost looks like she has an under layer and then the fluff but again, I'm sure that's because she is a kitten.

Nature is craz.
Is that tabby kitten her brother? If so, then her father was a tabby, All Ragdolls are pointed. The only color/pattern that can mask the points is white. Not even tabby.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, a combo of burmese and siamese genes! That will make her a look alike to another type of old type siamese - at that moment I dont remember their name - Thai?
I think you mean Tonkinese, though they’re not old type Siamese per se, tmk, given they don’t breed true and require consistent SiamesexBurmese matings. The Sia used don’t have to be old type afaik

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that tabby kitten her brother? If so, then her father was a tabby, All Ragdolls are pointed. The only color/pattern that can mask the points is white. Not even tabby.
There are solid ragdolls apparently although not as common, see the links, and Josephine the original ragdoll mom was an all white persian or angora like dlh kitty bred with birman like pointed cats, at least one of her kittens was solid black. They also can be tabby point although I am not sure if that could produce a tabby kitten with the mom who is apparently burmese.

Solid Ragdolls

Cinnamon Ragdolls

History of the Ragdoll Cat (U.S.A.) - The Ragdoll Club France

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE RAGDOLL

Ragdoll - Wikipedia

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Nature is crazy.
They are beautiful❤ And your River is gorgeous. When I looked at her I thought she looks more trad siamese type but she looks a lot fluffier and her face looks more “ragdollish” to me. I think she will be shorthair but she is fluffier looking than some sh kittens. I have seen some long hair kittens who did not get their full fluff for some time, but their tail fur usually looks longer than hers.

I made a collage of her with various kittens from these breeds including one with pics of my Quinn when he was a baby, he is a traditional pb sealpoint siamese and you can see he is more angular and shorter haired. I can’t see enough of mom to see what she looks like.

With fluffy ragdoll kitten pics/ with pb tonkinese kitten pics / with quinn traditional siamese. I think she looks less tonkinese like, they have very Burmese like faces at least these particular kittens.

9040FD3B-B339-4FD4-9984-457FBBC08E7F.png

A293702B-45EA-49F8-8E7E-67D1E5761F1E.png
13AD146F-6D08-4384-A72D-BDBED165F6BF.png

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Honestly you all make this so interesting to me, it's like another world. River is purely a pet, but its like having a baby, I want to know as much about her an her genetics. So many different breeds and variation of cat, and such higher standards for pedigree than with dogs. Thank you for all this information! I've learnt so much.
There are solid ragdolls apparently although not as common, see the links, and Josephine the original ragdoll mom was an all white persian or angora like dlh kitty bred with birman like pointed cats, at least one of her kittens was solid black. They also can be tabby point although I am not sure if that could produce a tabby kitten with the mom who is apparently burmese.

Solid Ragdolls

Cinnamon Ragdolls

History of the Ragdoll Cat (U.S.A.) - The Ragdoll Club France

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE RAGDOLL

Ragdoll - Wikipedia
THANK YOU FOR THESE LINKS!!!! My grandmother bought a supposed ragdoll kitten. He is tabby, so I figured he wasn't a purebred ragdoll.

RivertheRagdoll

Moggy Doll
Kitten
Purraise
They are beautiful❤ And your River is gorgeous. When I looked at her I thought she looks more trad siamese type but she looks a lot fluffier and her face looks more “ragdollish” to me. I think she will be shorthair but she is fluffier looking than some sh kittens. I have seen some long hair kittens who did not get their full fluff for some time, but their tail fur usually looks longer than hers.

I made a collage of her with various kittens from these breeds including one with pics of my Quinn when he was a baby, he is a traditional pb sealpoint siamese and you can see he is more angular and shorter haired. I can’t see enough of mom to see what she looks like.

With fluffy ragdoll kitten pics/ with pb tonkinese kitten pics / with quinn traditional siamese. I think she looks less tonkinese like, they have very Burmese like faces at least these particular kittens.

View attachment 390244
View attachment 390245View attachment 390246
Thats brilliant thank you, there is a big difference!
I think I was fed some lies then as I do believe that little tabby is from the same litter. Whatever River is I love her of course, it would have just been nice to know a bit more about her lineage.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU FOR THESE LINKS!!!! My grandmother bought a supposed ragdoll kitten. He is tabby, so I figured he wasn't a purebred ragdoll.
Yw 😁 I dont think there are full tabby ragdolls officially bred, just the tabby points. The solid rd seem to be controversial because many breeders feel they aren't ragdolls. I read one account that said the original ragdoll breeder who bred Josephine, a dlh all white cat, did register some solid color (mink) cats as ragdolls. They may be called ragamuffins as well. I am not sure I just read that at one of the links I think.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She looks similar to a Ragdoll.
People may say that the only Siamese genes to enter the gene pool were ages ago but that does not make sense from a gene perspective. If not reintroduced, genes get washed out.
Plus we all know how people are now and were in the past about spaying and neutering.

I would say, she likely has a Ragdoll father or at least a color point longhaired cat on the fathers side.
If she is longhaired then the mother must also carry the gene for that as well as coloring.
Often cats with one color point parent are black, so possibly the mother had a Siamese parent or grandparent If she is not Burmese who I think are traditionally brown but now come in other colors. Is the mother black or brown? Sometimes photos are hard to tell.

The tabby could possibly from a different father but same mother or simply did not inherit the color points.
We had a blue eyed Ragdoll looking kitten at the shelter I volunteer at, his mother looked like a black & white domestic shorthair. The other kittens were either black & white or tabby.
Likely the Ragdoll looking kitten at the shelter had a different father.

Your kitten will not be 'officially' a Ragdoll but the same type of mix used to create the Ragdoll breed will produce a kitten like yours.
Gorgeous kitten by the way 🙂

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yw 😁 I dont think there are full tabby ragdolls officially bred, just the tabby points. The solid rd seem to be controversial because many breeders feel they aren't ragdolls. I read one account that said the original ragdoll breeder who bred Josephine, a dlh all white cat, did register some solid color (mink) cats as ragdolls. They may be called ragamuffins as well. I am not sure I just read that at one of the links I think.
Oh, okay. Thank you!