Ripley The Jardine's Parrot

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had a few parrots over the years, but currently I just have one - Ripley!

I was browsing Craigslist one day (as I am guilty of!) and saw this "conure" listed for $100. I knew immediately he was not a conure at all but a Jardine's poicephalus that I have always had on my "Maybe Someday" list.

He was on an all seed diet for the 19 years he had been with this family, so malnourished, respiratory illness, underweight, and overgrown beak. He had some rusted bells as toys. His cage was covered in poop, his water green. :frown: I had to take him home!

He's been here about 6 months now. Much bigger cage, much better diet, and sooo many toys. He LOVES toys. I feel like he is still making up for lost time! My living room is usually covered in cardboard, wood chips, shredded paper, and balsa dust :flail:Luckily I have a bird toy business so he never runs out of stuff to chew :)

We are still working on his weight but he no longer is wheezing, and has enough muscle strength to fly across the room without panting :)

Anyways, some photos!

First Day

first day.jpg

After the vet where he got his beak filed

beforeand after.jpg

Recent photos

ripley1.jpg
ripley2.jpg

And most of "Ripleyland" which is always in some state of disarray :wink:

ripleyland1.jpg

compared to his old cage (this was AFTER hosing it down some)

old cage.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Bless you for rescuing this noble bird. :hugs: He looks amazing since you had his beak filed and changed his diet plus cage/environment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Definitely a different bird! When I got him all he wanted to do was sit on me and cuddle. Which is fine, but just not sustainable :p

Now he's all over and so busy and instigating and living a totally different life than he used to have :) The gentleman I bought him from had sort of inherited the bird so he meant well, just was uninformed and didn't really put effort into changing that.

My husband, who has never really cared for any of the birds I've had, even likes him. That's high praise LOL

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My husband, who has never really cared for any of the birds I've had, even likes him. That's high praise LOL
That's great because maybe he'll help you with Ripley's care or cleanup. ;)