RIP sweet unknown tabby

aurorabee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am visiting my parents. They live out in the countryside. Last night my dad noticed a stray cat limping on the property trying to get into the shed - the cat allowed my dad to bring him inside and he set him up by himself in a bedroom (as my dad has other cats and didn't want to risk them catching something as he seemed to be a feral/stray/country cat) and covered him with a nice blanket.

Today I checked on him and his breathing did not look good, I did not feel he was going to last too long. My dad was able to give him some water by syringe. I called 5 vets of varying distances - all full, no-one could take him. I called them asking to see if anything could be done but if not that then to at least alleviate his suffering. I even asked one if they could just give me some pain medication to take even if they couldn't see him, but they couldn't. Finally, I was able to get through to the 6th vet and they had an emergency spot open up! So we we were about to set off when we noticed he had passed on. There was no diarrhea, vomiting or blood/open wounds. My dad suspects he might've been hit by a car.

I say he, but not even sure if it was a boy or girl. A beautiful young brown tabby. Poor sweet angel. Too short for this world. I hope your last night you felt warm and comfortable and safe snuggled under the blanket and did not suffer too long.

:bawling:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweet Friend, dream you deep. Your life had meaning, and you are mourned.

How lovely, at the end, to know kind voices and gentle hands. How lovely to be given a comfortable bed to rest your fading body, and a sip of water to sooth you to your very soul. How lovely, to know what it is to have home and love...and how much better to have had it for so brief a time than never to have known it at all. Bless you and your father. I know this little one does.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for tending to her in her time of need. I'm so sorry she had to pass on, but to know love and compassion at the end is a blessing and she thanks you for it. My heart breaks that she could not receive help from the vets, but you tried, and that is what mattered. Thank you and your father from the bottom of my heart for comforting a little one in need, you will be blessed......RIP sweet little one, you will be always remembered. May the good Lord bless and keep you, and give you an eternal place of rest....

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you so much for the effort and care that you devoted to making sure that the poor cat passed on with some degree of comfort and dignity. You and your dad intervened with others might have just decided that an unknown stray could be overlooked and left to his own even with his injuries.

There have been posts on Nextdoor in my area about the difficulty of obtaining a vet appointment even in emergencies, so it is not just where you are, or your parents are, in the countryside.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sound's like the world needs more people like you and your dad......Thank you.

You have reminded me how lucky I am to have my 2 cats. Im going to hug them right now and tell them I love them. We never know what tomorrow will bring.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am visiting my parents. They live out in the countryside. Last night my dad noticed a stray cat limping on the property trying to get into the shed - the cat allowed my dad to bring him inside and he set him up by himself in a bedroom (as my dad has other cats and didn't want to risk them catching something as he seemed to be a feral/stray/country cat) and covered him with a nice blanket.

Today I checked on him and his breathing did not look good, I did not feel he was going to last too long. My dad was able to give him some water by syringe. I called 5 vets of varying distances - all full, no-one could take him. I called them asking to see if anything could be done but if not that then to at least alleviate his suffering. I even asked one if they could just give me some pain medication to take even if they couldn't see him, but they couldn't. Finally, I was able to get through to the 6th vet and they had an emergency spot open up! So we we were about to set off when we noticed he had passed on. There was no diarrhea, vomiting or blood/open wounds. My dad suspects he might've been hit by a car.

I say he, but not even sure if it was a boy or girl. A beautiful young brown tabby. Poor sweet angel. Too short for this world. I hope your last night you felt warm and comfortable and safe snuggled under the blanket and did not suffer too long.

:bawling:
You took in this unknown cat, cared for him, and called 6 vets to get him help and meanwhile he passed away peacefully in the care of total strangers who were willing to go the extra mile for a cat who was injured and probably homeless. I agree with the others who say the world needs more people like you and your dad. Your post brought a tear to my eye.