RIP Stripey

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom has a little colony that she is working on rehoming. All cats are socialized. Last night, one of the kittens (6ish months old?) was lethargic, didn't eat, etc. She figured he had eaten something that didn't agree with him. When she checked on him at 5, he had passed. They looked him over and found a snake bite on his ribcage- poor guy. Not much they could have done had they found it the night before.

Sweet Stripey was an orange tabby male kitten. He was rambunctious and a little too adventurous.

Rest easy, sweet boy.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a tragedy! It is always so heartbreaking to find something like this, I know the sinking feeling in your chest and the emotion that washes over you.....
Your mom is an angel for caring for these little ones, it is the only care and love they will most likely know. She will be blessed for her caring. I know my husband says "you can't save them all" and he is most likely right, but you try, and it hurts to lose even one.
I hope she realizes that the chances of saving that sweet baby were very little, even with immediate help. It might be a good idea to look and make sure the snake has left, a repeat of this would be doubly painful.
They all have a tie to our souls, and he will always be as close as her thoughts and prayers. I, too, pray she can rehome as many as she can, though I know what a hard job that is. Stopping future litters by neutering and spaying is needed, I found out in the long run it is much cheaper. Cats can have three litters a year and it quickly adds up.
Tell your mom I thank her from the bottom of my heart for her help with this colony. I know all the cats love and need her. I wish her well in the future, I hope she will keep us informed on how it is going. We are all bound together by our love for these sweet little souls, and we care what happens to each and every one. Take care......RIP little Stripey. You will be dearly missed, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
What a tragedy! It is always so heartbreaking to find something like this, I know the sinking feeling in your chest and the emotion that washes over you.....
Your mom is an angel for caring for these little ones, it is the only care and love they will most likely know. She will be blessed for her caring. I know my husband says "you can't save them all" and he is most likely right, but you try, and it hurts to lose even one.
I hope she realizes that the chances of saving that sweet baby were very little, even with immediate help. It might be a good idea to look and make sure the snake has left, a repeat of this would be doubly painful.
They all have a tie to our souls, and he will always be as close as her thoughts and prayers. I, too, pray she can rehome as many as she can, though I know what a hard job that is. Stopping future litters by neutering and spaying is needed, I found out in the long run it is much cheaper. Cats can have three litters a year and it quickly adds up.
Tell your mom I thank her from the bottom of my heart for her help with this colony. I know all the cats love and need her. I wish her well in the future, I hope she will keep us informed on how it is going. We are all bound together by our love for these sweet little souls, and we care what happens to each and every one. Take care......RIP little Stripey. You will be dearly missed, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!
She has had many cats come and go. She thinks word gets out that she is the crazy cat lady and people drop off cats. Sad.

She has gotten all of the cats fixed, save for one that ran off before we could catch him. She has the two remaining female kittens on a wait list to be spayed (mama cat has already been fixed). Stripey and Tubby (who has since been rehomed!) were neutered. She does what she can for them. She will probably wind up keeping the mama (Marie) and the two remaining females (Coco and Sassy).

Regarding the snake. She lives in the mountains, surrounded by woods. Snakes are a given, unfortunately, although they have never seen any on their property. I did tell her that there wasn't much she could have done for him besides keeping him comfortable.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always felt people dropped their cats off near me too. It was SO sad with some of them, elderly scared cats that I know were dumped outside when their owners died at the care facility above me on the hill, one elderly cat showed up that had mouth cancer and was drooling uncontrollably, I'm sure they didn't want to deal with it. You could tell they weren't used to being outside, I gave each one a heated hut and all the love and food they wanted. My heart ached for all of them......

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I always felt people dropped their cats off near me too. It was SO sad with some of them, elderly scared cats that I know were dumped outside when their owners died at the care facility above me on the hill, one elderly cat showed up that had mouth cancer and was drooling uncontrollably, I'm sure they didn't want to deal with it. You could tell they weren't used to being outside, I gave each one a heated hut and all the love and food they wanted. My heart ached for all of them......
This is wonderful, God Bless you for doing this.......