Rip Spencer

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I said goodbye to my beautiful boy, Spencer. :bawling: :angel:

Sept 18, 2010 - Jun 22, 2017

Play happy over the Rainbow Bridge. Chynna and Abby will take care of you now.

Thank you for letting me be your meowmy. :redheartpump:

I'm going to miss you my little honey bunches of oats-ess :redheartpump:

Out of the blue he started throwing up on Monday, after eating and multiple times throughout the day. Same thing on Tuesday.

I tried to catch him to take him to the vet on Wednesday but he knew something was up and hid under the bed all day. He came out later in the evening and I caught him and put him in the laundry room for the night.

The vet did an x-ray to rule out obstruction. There were no signs of any but his kidneys looked abnormal.

One of his kidneys was abnormally larger than the other one, which was smaller than it should be.

Blood work showed that he was in advanced Stage IV renal failure.

Dr. Friesen said that his kidneys were the result of a congenital abnormality and that nothing could be done for him.

I spent some time holding him. I requested that he be given a sedative first. Then I gave him chin scratches and tummy rubs until he passed.

FB_IMG_1498174824561.jpg
FB_IMG_1498174829983.jpg
FB_IMG_1498174835235.jpg
FB_IMG_1498174841508.jpg
FB_IMG_1498174847147.jpg

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy.

Run free at the bridge, :rbheart: Spencer :rbheart:

Jason607

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Spencer looks like such a loving and caring kitty. I'm absolutely heartbroken for your loss. I know the hurt you feel is amplified because of how young he was. Our baby Mew Mew was also young when she passed and that made the loss more heartbreaking. So I understand how you must be feeling.

However, in the time that he was with you, I know that he had an amazing life. This is thanks to you. I'm sure if Spencer could be given a choice he would choose to be with you all over again even if it meant he would pass away young again. Know that he loved you as much as you loved him.

He is happily living his life in a place of pure and unlimited happiness. But although he is as happy as he can be, there is always a thought in the back of his mind. And that thought is of you. So he waits at that happy places until the day he can see you again. He will always be in your heart until that day. And when that day comes he will not only be in your heart but also in your arms. But until that day comes I hope you can open your heart to another baby that is waiting for your love. Again, I'm truly sorry for your loss. Please feel free to share how you feel, keep us updated and talk to us so we can make this difficult time in your life easier to deal with.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss, the emptiness that invades the life when they leave us is unbearable at times. Time is the only thing that helps, give yourself time to heal that hole in your heart. Spencer would never want you to be sad because of him, he only wants the best for the one he loves so much. Think how you would want him to live out his life if you were the first to go, well, he wants no less for you. He spent almost 7 wonderful years with you, he shared your life's journey and now he walks another path. But that path will always follow yours, a bond that strong cannot just disappear, it is spiritual and not bound by the laws of this physical world. Do not dwell on the end, it brings nothing but heartache, instead fill your thoughts with the wonderful times you shared, and all the happiness he brought into your life, it will soothe your broken heart and begin the path to healing.
Thank you for sharing your pictures and letting us know of this wonderful boy, he deserves to be thought of by many, the world is a little darker with his passing. His love that he left as a legacy for you to hold will bring light to the coming dark days, that love will always light up your heart with thoughts of him. Treasure your memories, they will bring you comfort. My heart aches with your sorrow, I know too well the pain of a broken heart. Let those who understand what you are going through give you strength to forge your new life's journey, he will always be nearby to walk beside you. Honor his name by making him proud on which path you choose. Bless you for hurting so bad from loving so much.........RIP dear Spencer, you brought so much happiness and love into another's life, you deserve a special place in the sun at the Rainbow Bridge. May your dreams be happy, may you run and play with the others until the day you meet once again the one who misses you so very much, Sleep tight, sweet Prince!

tamu708

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful boy. RIP Spencer. :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Spencer, dream you deep. You are not forgotten, and never will be.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost your baby boy, what a cutie. No matter how long we have them it is never enough, but it sounds like he was sick and was his time to go and leave the pain and this body and for his spirit to move on although it will also be with you too.

I hope that your heart heals a bit each day, God Bless.....:alright:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry. It's tough to say goodbye at the best of times, but when it's sudden like that, it really is a sock to the guts. He was lucky to be so well loved, and to have that comfort when he passed. Rest in Peace Spencer. :rbheart:
Take care Linda.:hugs:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so very sorry.. so sudden and unexpected. But he died surrounded by your love, and that is such a gift. RIP beautiful boy. :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was beautiful! How long did you have him?
I adopted him and his sister when they were just over 16 weeks.

Katie is sure missing him. They've been constant companion since birth. They weren't overly bonded, but they were known to cuddle. And Katie stuck by Spencer all this week when he wasn't feeling well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. Your words of support mean a great deal.

At seven years old the thought of renal failure didn't even cross my mind. It all happened so fast.

One day he's playing with Da Bird, and playing fetch with his Kong rattle-feather ball, and the next day he's throwing up all day. It just screamed out obstruction.

My boy loved to eat string! I had to be really careful when we played Da Bird. It only took him seconds to chew through the string. And I always had to keep it hidden when not in use. The current Da Bird was intact and I couldn't think of anything else that he could have eaten, so my mind started to think "tumour."

Here is the thread where I talked about adopting him and Katie.

I'm insane!!!

Delayed:
No Kittens!!

Bring him home:
Today's the day!!! (kittens!!!)

One of my favourite Spencer stories:
OMG! I nearly threw out Spencer!!!