Ringworm

Babs55125

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, We just adopted 2 female kittens from a recue organization and of course 2 weeks into our home they have ringworm. This is my first time dealing with ringworm and I could use some support, It's a bit overwhelming!! I really appreciated bunnelina's post on the "6 Things I learned from our Ring worm Pague." but the PDF she referenced was no longer available. Does anyone have that?
I have quarantined them in the guest room, removed as much as I could, plan to wipe down/vacuum every day or every other as time allows. Have started doing the deep clean on the house but there is lots of furniture/drapery/carpets. I am washing everything that doesn't say dry clean. The girls are on Itrafugol and a chlorhexidine/ketoconazole wipe for the affected areas. The vet didn't say anything about Lime-Sulfur baths but my husband is all for it. Is it safe enough to do without direction from the Vet. (They sadly provided only limited information -vacuum, wash bedding/clothes and wipe down surfaces, cover furniture.)
I could elaborate more but can someone tell me the odds of this being a one time thing? 8 weeks is a long time to have them quarantined, needing care and socialization while cleaning like mad every day and still working full time.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know absolutely nothing about ringworm, but I did look through the thread you were talking about and then tried searching around for a replacement to that link - I think I found it! It seems it is in a doc file rather than an actual web site link.
Microsoft Word - Ringworm Treatment Nuts F.doc (giveshelter.org)

Also, bunnelina bunnelina - can you help with finding the link you previously provided? Thanks!

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think the link probably got combined into this one to make one large article, which discusses both treatment AND cleaning: How to Deal with Ringworm in Cats [Inc. the Housecleaning Regime] – TheCatSite Articles

Did your Vet recommend any medicated shampoos vs the lime sulpher dip? I'm just wondering if the ringworm isn't very bad, maybe they didn't think the dip was necessary :dunno:. You can always call them back and ask them why they don't think it's necessary, because most people DO use them along with oral meds.

CleoVixyDuke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, We just adopted 2 female kittens from a recue organization and of course 2 weeks into our home they have ringworm. This is my first time dealing with ringworm and I could use some support, It's a bit overwhelming!! I really appreciated bunnelina's post on the "6 Things I learned from our Ring worm Pague." but the PDF she referenced was no longer available. Does anyone have that?
I have quarantined them in the guest room, removed as much as I could, plan to wipe down/vacuum every day or every other as time allows. Have started doing the deep clean on the house but there is lots of furniture/drapery/carpets. I am washing everything that doesn't say dry clean. The girls are on Itrafugol and a chlorhexidine/ketoconazole wipe for the affected areas. The vet didn't say anything about Lime-Sulfur baths but my husband is all for it. Is it safe enough to do without direction from the Vet. (They sadly provided only limited information -vacuum, wash bedding/clothes and wipe down surfaces, cover furniture.)
I could elaborate more but can someone tell me the odds of this being a one time thing? 8 weeks is a long time to have them quarantined, needing care and socialization while cleaning like mad every day and still working full time.
[/QUOTE
A fungicide like miconozole available over the counter should work. Also, food grade diatomaceous earth, applied externally works.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my kitties had ringworm a few days after they came in (at different times).
I treated them with Itrafungol only, following the pattern of treatment which is one week treatment, one week off, then again, then off, then again, five weeks in total.

Itrafungol must be given according to the kitten weight, and because kittens grow quickly, you should weigh them at least weekly and adjust the dose of Itrafungol accordingly.

I think it is safe to have the kittens around the house. At least, I had no issue at all with mine, so I was able to socialize with them during this long period.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babs55125

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Babs55125

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both my kitties had ringworm a few days after they came in (at different times).
I treated them with Itrafungol only, following the pattern of treatment which is one week treatment, one week off, then again, then off, then again, five weeks in total.

Itrafungol must be given according to the kitten weight, and because kittens grow quickly, you should weigh them at least weekly and adjust the dose of Itrafungol accordingly.

I think it is safe to have the kittens around the house. At least, I had no issue at all with mine, so I was able to socialize with them during this long period.
Antonio65, Did you clean like mad, get your carpets professionally cleaned every 6 weeks, Throw out cat towers and scratching posts? Just trying to get perspective. I've heard everything from "it'll be fine, just give them the meds and don't go crazy" to "Throw everything away that isn't nailed down bleach the crap out of the rest." Just trying to coordinate getting it all done.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
B Babs55125 , no, I didn't do anything of the kind. I would just replace the cats' fleece blanket every week.
I didn't do anything else but giving the cat the Itrafungol according to the administration plan. The only thing, I was keeping a close eye on the lesions (on the front legs and around ears) and make sure they were healing.
So, I would stick with "it'll be fine, just give them the meds and don't go crazy" :)

Babs55125

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
B Babs55125 , no, I didn't do anything of the kind. I would just replace the cats' fleece blanket every week.
I didn't do anything else but giving the cat the Itrafungol according to the administration plan. The only thing, I was keeping a close eye on the lesions (on the front legs and around ears) and make sure they were healing.
So, I would stick with "it'll be fine, just give them the meds and don't go crazy" :)
Thanks for your input. I'm a bit in the "crazy mode" at the moment. It's day 5 of the first round of Itrafungol and day 12 or so for the chlorhexidine/ketaconazole wipes to the affected areas for girl #1, and day 5 of wipes for girl #2. They both have new affected areas this week. I swifered/vacuumed/dusted the parts of the house they had access to over the weekend and did a dozen loads of laundry for thing they had contact with. With the start of the work week my goal has been meds, socializing them while trying not to cross contaminate every area of the house while picking areas to clean in the quarantine room (hence the "crazy Mode"). Really appreciate the perspectives!

Babs55125

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh interesting!! I hadn't read about diatomaceous earth in any of the articles I've found, thanks for that tip.

Babs55125

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think the link probably got combined into this one to make one large article, which discusses both treatment AND cleaning: How to Deal with Ringworm in Cats [Inc. the Housecleaning Regime] – TheCatSite Articles

Did your Vet recommend any medicated shampoos vs the lime sulpher dip? I'm just wondering if the ringworm isn't very bad, maybe they didn't think the dip was necessary :dunno:. You can always call them back and ask them why they don't think it's necessary, because most people DO use them along with oral meds.
The vet did not recommend any medicated shampoos and when I called to ask I was told "nobody does those anymore" . She didn't comment on the severity of the culture results, just said it was positive. I have read that some vets rate it on a P1-3 scale. Kitten #1 has it on both ears the left (the fist area infected) has progressed to the entire ear, the right ear is affected, yet has not lost all its hair. The second kitten originally only had a small spot on her left chin which has not progressed, but now her right ear has thinning fur and 2 areas on her back legs. I am using the Chlorhexidine/Ketaconazole wipes generously on both ears of both kittens and any other areas.
They both seem a bit stressed as appetites are down and Kitten #2 isn't as engaged in play. My Husband is all for doing Lime Sulpher dips (though he's never bathed a cat before :-0 ) and has ordered some from Amazon. They recently got treated with Revolution Gold for parasites (roundworms) and not sure if the wash will negate that treatment.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, some Chlorhexidine wipes, or foam like the one I had, are good!

Lack of appetite and quieteness (not wanting to play much) are part of the side effects of Itrafungol. Sometimes diarrhea can be another one too.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Be sure to read the instructions on the dip carefully. They need to air dry afterward without being rinsed, if memory serves. And, of course, be careful around the ears to make sure the dip doesn't get in their eyes. But I do think the dip will be helpful since it's spreading.

JacquieM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your input. I'm a bit in the "crazy mode" at the moment. It's day 5 of the first round of Itrafungol and day 12 or so for the chlorhexidine/ketaconazole wipes to the affected areas for girl #1, and day 5 of wipes for girl #2. They both have new affected areas this week. I swifered/vacuumed/dusted the parts of the house they had access to over the weekend and did a dozen loads of laundry for thing they had contact with. With the start of the work week my goal has been meds, socializing them while trying not to cross contaminate every area of the house while picking areas to clean in the quarantine room (hence the "crazy Mode"). Really appreciate the perspectives!
Hi Babs, I hope you are all in the clear. I thought I would chime in, because I’m dealing with a recurrence of ringworm. I took a more relaxed approach the first time around, which still involved an enormous amount of cleaning. But I certainly did not do walls with a swiffer, nor did I throw out any scratching posts. I put the two hip-high posts out in the sunshine and sprayed them down with rescue. The 6 foot high tree with its huts and platforms, I also sprayed with rescue spray. But I really couldn’t soak it. It has 8 enormous sissal pillars. I also had a crappy 12 year old vacuum. Well after two months of freedom, the ringworm came back. I was horrified. Now I am doing every darn thing recommended in that guide. I just finished swiffering the walls in Merlin’s sanctuary room. I also bought a fancy HEPA filter sealed-system vacuum. I cleaned all my curtains according to the protocol and packed them away in storage, plus my many knick-knacks. Didn’t do that last time either. I threw out all the cat trees.

I collect rocks, and have maybe 60 rocks around the house. I can’t decide what to do about them. Also, now I read that doctor Moriello does not think sunshine is helpful. Damn!

I’m interested to hear how you are doing.

Babs55125

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
JacquieM,
We just started week 3 of the Itrafungol. Doing the week on/week off. They are quarentined in the guest room. The first girl (Harley) had it on her ears and they are looking better and no longer are woods lamp positive (per my inspection), girl #2 Sassy had it on her nose,chin and one of her legs. Her nose is finally looking better but is still a week positive with the woods lamp. I usually do a deep clean of there room weekly (long slow vacuum, wash rinse walls/surfaces with mild detergent, change linen coverings). I tossed the big cat tower and got them a few boxes. Lint roll surfaces everyother day or so. Still have one small scratching post but will toss that soon.
I thought about that expensive Meile vacuum, but can't afford that right now.
I am crushed to hear you have a reoocurance!! My greatest fear! I spoke to a a gal a work who fosters a lot of animals, she took the laid back approach and did basic cleaning and oral meds and hasn't had an issue since. Another colleague has a family member who is a vet tech who also said you don't need to go too crazy, but I don't know what I'd do if we had a reoccurance, this is a tough life, with not enough time for all that is needed.
I wish there was more research on home environment decontamination. Have read what I can find by Moriello, but didn't see that she doesn't think sunshine effective. Would like to know how much is removed with each wipe down and vacuume. What envionmental load produces infection in a non-stressed/healthy cat. Is reoccurance from the environement or latent reserviour in the animal.
We go in for the first culture on June 24th. Not sure what the Vets protocol is for clearance, but am leary to let them out in the house. Keep me posted on your progress and your cleaning strategy.

JacquieM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
JacquieM,
We just started week 3 of the Itrafungol. Doing the week on/week off. They are quarentined in the guest room. The first girl (Harley) had it on her ears and they are looking better and no longer are woods lamp positive (per my inspection), girl #2 Sassy had it on her nose,chin and one of her legs. Her nose is finally looking better but is still a week positive with the woods lamp. I usually do a deep clean of there room weekly (long slow vacuum, wash rinse walls/surfaces with mild detergent, change linen coverings). I tossed the big cat tower and got them a few boxes. Lint roll surfaces everyother day or so. Still have one small scratching post but will toss that soon.
I am crushed to hear you have a reoocurance!! My greatest fear! I spoke to a a gal a work who fosters a lot of animals, she took the laid back approach and did basic cleaning and oral meds and hasn't had an issue since. Another colleague has a family member who is a vet tech who also said you don't need to go too crazy, but I don't know what I'd do if we had a reoccurance, this is a tough life, with not enough time for all that is needed.
I wish there was more research on home environment decontamination. Have read what I can find by Moriello, but didn't see that she doesn't think sunshine effective. Would like to know how much is removed with each wipe down and vacuume. What envionmental load produces infection in a non-stressed/healthy cat. Is reoccurance from the environement or latent reserviour in the animal.
We go in for the first culture on June 24th. Not sure what the Vets protocol is for clearance, but am leary to let them out in the house. Keep me posted on your progress and your cleaning strategy.
Hi, thanks so much for writing! Everything I read says to cultures 1 to 3 weeks apart after medication ends for confirmation that ringworm is gone. The sources I’m relying on also recommend weekly cultures. I don’t know how expensive that is, but if I can afford it, I’m going to do that. Only if the vet will let me use a toothbrush to get a sample and bring it in without the cat.

you are on week three, yay! I love your cat names.

It really is tough, giving all of my energy to this. It’s basically work, try to stay clean and eat well, and clean. 🙄 I can’t even have friends over. My biggest worry is that I can’t have a pet sitter in the house. My mom is now in a facility five hours away, and I was supposed to be visiting in two weeks. I really really would not want to leave Merlin alone for two nights. Question: what do you think about asking a neighbor girl from a family with no pets to pop in and help me out? But she knows nothing about cats. Arrggh

Me too, about the research on home ringworm. Especially about is it latent in the animal. God forbid. In my next post,

I will include some links in a next post. Not sure I can attach a link to the quote from Dr. Moriello about sunshine, because I’ve got so many pieces of information all over the place. But I know that I copied it out of an article of hers.

JacquieM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
JacquieM,
2nd reply:
Here it is. Not Dr. Moriello, but another great source I have been relying on.
There is limited evidence that some dermatophytes are inhibited by UV light, though this has not been demonstrated to be effective for sterilizing surfaces, and I would not expect it to have any meaningful effect on a carpeted or fabric covered surface.
Library

JacquieM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
JacquieM,
3rd reply:
Here is an excerpt from a 2007 journal article about tigers!
“sunlight may facilitate dispersal or destruction of fungal spores”
I don’t find the use of “may” very reassuring.

dli2509

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kitten we just adopted tested positive for ringworm today with the woods lamp :( How are your girls doing? I've spend all evening vacuuming, throwing everything in the wash, and disinfecting with bleach and lysol. I have 2 resident cats (2.5y) and an 11y dog, the kitten is way to hyper to quarantine and I feel like I'm losing my mind. Help!

Babs55125

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hang in there!!! The first week feels overwhelming. It's going to get better! I lost my mind for the first 2 weeks then settled into a routine that was managable but far from the agressive approach that is recommended. There just wasn't time for all of it and although I am no stranger to hard work, there is only so much wall washing my shoulders could take.
We just came out of quarantine after ...omg 9 weeks...the vet would only reculture a week after they completed the 3rd cycle of Itrafungol and then it took forever for the cultures to finalize. We were all loosing our minds here. Some pet owners have waited for 3 negative cultures but nobody in my house is goign to survive another 3 months of quarantine, I feel as if I've missed summer. I'll finish deep cleaning, keep up on better than the usual cleaning routine and stay vigilant for reoccurance.
Have you found and read all the good resources on the site? I've been using Rescue wipes and solution as a decontamination agent. It's an accelerated hydrogenperoxide solution that requires only 1 min of wet contact time to kill ringworm vs the 10 min wet contact time for bleech and Swiffer now makes a heavy duty dry/deep pocket swiffer pad that I love. I did a few rounds of wall/floor/ceiling swiffering.