Ringworm

Bancho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello :) im glad that my post was helpful. ive been meaning to make another thread about my entire experience with ringworm and what i used, what vet said, and etc, but havent gotten to it yet because im still monitoring my cats in case it comes back. theyve been cleared for 2 months since being released in August. there are three type of ringworm that they usually tests for pets. by Microsproum, i meant the full term "Microsporum Spp". its not excatly the same as M. canis.

also do not rely on the blue light too much. my cat had an ringworm lesion that shined a lot green under the lamp. even right after she finsihed the treatment, it still shined green, but LESS and WASN'T the lesion wasnt completely healed or gone. i tested my cat's lesion right after the treatment and it came back NEGATIVE shockingly despite it still showing green under the wood lamp and not completely healed.
in conclusion, just because it is still green doesnt mean it is not healing and , it was only AFTER that my cat FINISHED her 5-6 weeks pulse dosing treatment that her lesion finally healed and stopped shining green.
my primary vet said that it has to be a certain type of green arrangement that indicate active infection. a healing ringworm lesion will still possibly shine green, but doenst mean it is active. but i would say less green is a good sign?

since my cats had on and off ringworm infection for about a year, i finally stopped seeing my primary vet for ringworm treatment and started seeing a derm vet. she prescribed my cats Itrafungol 10 mg/kg to be given EVERYDAY for 3 weeks and to continue pulse dosing after the 3 weeks if the lesions did not heal. pretty much told me that there no actual ending date for itrafungol and to pretty much give them it until their lesions disappears. she only does liver function labs every 6 months or if theres symptoms of liver toxicity.

none of my cats had it in the mouth or the nails. my primary vet told me that itrafungol is a systemic antifungal medication so it is actually enough to treat the ringworm by itself. the other topical medication is pretty much give to accelerate the healing process, reduce the chance of it spreading and etc. for your cat with the ringworm lesion in the mouth, i would say that the itrafungol is enough to treat it. do continue putting topical everywhere on his/her body though to help with the treatment better.
for the nails, i heard you gotta dig into the nails (open the paws in and out, etc) to get the topical in it. ringworm could be hiding inside.

when my cats were on pulse dosing method (one week on and one week off), they healed much slowly. wouldn't see improvements until mid or later/ end into the treatment. most other pet owners on pulse dosing method healed very slowly as well. for exmaple, the cat that i mentioned above in the second paragraph^^^ .

when my cats were on the loading dose method ( 2x pulse dose amount given everyday for 3 weeks), they healed a lot faster. probably by the 1.5- 2nd week, i could see improvements. some of my cat's ringworm lesions did get a bit worse in the beginning.

THANK YOU for such a detailed response! I understand now about the woods lamp. It's also really relieving to know the dermatologist is not as concerned about the adverse side effects of Itrafungol and even says to continue it until lesions go away. My vet was really pushing blood work before/during/after Itrafungol therapy but I declined because I felt this would be too stressful (needles in the jugular vein sounds too traumatic even for me, imagine not understanding why it's happening).
I retract my original post. My snowshoe is looking better...his lesion on his mouth is not as red/pink and I feel he's getting better visually (despite still glowing under UV light), however I'm really concerned about my long hair Persian. I found a new lesion in a new area so it seems to have spread...
Originally, his lesion was on his belly and just his belly, so I was doing the MiconaHex+Triz spray alongside Itrafungol. The other day when applying the spray I noticed his leg area is now pretty red with sparse hair so I've been applying it to this new area. Being a long haired cay, the spray really mattes his hair and makes it hard and gunky. So today I decided to give him a medicated antifungal bath instead and I really witnessed how red this new leg area is, and how red is tummy STILL is. When drying him off, I saw a lesion on his leg. I just can't believe it. Three weeks into therapy with isolation and he's worsening. I vacuum daily, wash bedding, clean litterbox daily, used these hydrogen peroxide wipes called Oxivir 1 that kill M. canis

I think I read a post earlier of yours that your dermatologist said the new lesions on your kitty can't be ringworm because they're currently undergoing Itrafungol therapy, but that it's moreso excoriation?
Also, I cannot give them Itrafungol through the oral syringe. My persian FREAKS out and it wasn't getting better, and my snowshoe was actually choking on it where I could hear gurgling in his lungs and rattling when he was breathing. To avoid causing pneumonia and wasting drug, I put the itrafungol on a plate and mix it with their favorite pate treat. They lick their bowls clean...so I know they're getting the doses in.

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
to be honest, the primary vet don't know too much. at one point my cats had about 2-3 rounds of pulse dosing itrafungol because the ringworm kept coming back. i aksed them if they could start a stronger dose instead of pulse dosing and they said they rather the cats get over the ringworm naturally than to get itrafungol and that they arent familiar with the stronger dose and etc. my vet derm even said "Side effects can include GI upset and rarely liver toxicity". i attached a few pictures of my discharge notes and other helpful form she sent me. i recommend giving ur cats Zyrtec to help with the scratching. the less scratching they do, the less they penetrate the skin, the less the ringworm will spread in my opinion.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PBTPA1Y/?tag=thecatsite
i have a pill cutter and gave each cat 2.5 mg daily.

anyways when i saw my vet derm and told her what dose my cats have been getting, her first reaction was wow, thats such a low dose LOL. which honestly made me so happy. my cats getting on the loading dose made life so much easier because they heal faster and treatment time is cut shorter.

yes, one of my cats loss fur on her head and neck. i did lime sulfur bathe them at that time so im not sure if it was reaction from lime sulfur or stress or etc. her culture for the bald spots came back negative for ringworm. my vet derm said it could be excoriation. which i think means that my cat has been picking at her own skin? her fur grew back shortly afterwards. she also said that it would be safe to lime sulfur dip her still even thoguh her skin is excoriated. told me that lime sulfur is very safe as long as it is diluted well. and she was right, my cat with the excoriated skin got better even though she was still being lime sulfur dipped. i recommend the lime sulfur dip^^ usually that is used along with itrafungol for the ultimate treatment against ringworm.

one of my cats hated the oral itrafungol in syrignge and everytime i wasnt able to give his entire med fully because of how difficult he was being, it stressed me out so much because it made me feel incompetent. "im not even capable of giving my cat his med" type of mentality.
i satrted giving his meds in his treats and he has been taking that fully so made me feel a lot better.

also i believe ringworm usually shows up in the cat in the same way. by that i mean, depending on how your cat reacts to the ringworm they will show the symptoms as dandruff/ flaky, open lesions, just plain bald spots.
one of my cat only express his ringworm as plain bald spots and dandruff and never open lesions. for the entire year of ringworm, he never had open lesions.

my other two cats would have open lesions of ringworm and no dandruff.
one of the other member went through ringworm with one of her cat. her cat lesion looked a certain way the first time. and then she completed her treatment but got another type of lesion/or bald spot/ or loss of fur (i dont remember which), but the vet pretty much said that she doesnt think its ringworm because it looks different the first actual ringworm lesions. anyways, that ringworm culture for the second one came back negative.

i attached a few products i use.

Attachments

Kirkshoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the articles! i read through some of them.
also i did more research on UVC light. from what i read, natural sunlight mainly consist of UVA and some of UVB.
UVC, barely gets through the ozone layer and UVC light is what kills ringworm.
another journal i read said that UVC light 254 wavelength could kill Trichophyton and microsporum.
i bought a UVC 254 wavelength lamp that was lab certified to kill Trichophyton. it did not list microsporum... i believe what kills Trichophyton can also kill microsporum, as per my vet dermatologist. i just emailed her to confirm about the UVC.
Hello Vivibebean - In a keyword search for UVC LIGHT, I found your post dated Apr 4, 2022. I am hoping you can tell me if your use of UVC Light to disinfect your home of ringworm spores was successful, so that your cat was not reinfected with ringworm in the UVC disinfected environment. Any advice or information would be appreciated, on your results with UVC light, UVC Lamp Model, wattage, the Hand UVC wand model, how to use and any other relevant information.
Thanks,
Kirk

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello Vivibebean - In a keyword search for UVC LIGHT, I found your post dated Apr 4, 2022.
I am sorry, this member hasn't been on this site since October 2022, so I doubt you will get a response from them. Hopefully, some of the other members who posted on this thread are still active and will have some insight to offer.

I see you started your own thread, so that should be helpful!

Last edited: