Ringworm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would like to thank you for your support and experience you have shared with me. This is not an easy fix by any means. It has been so difficult and challenging. Also, what was the schedule your vet clinic used for testing the cats. Not sure how often I should retest. Did they take a fungal culture right after the intrafungal was finished? I need to test my yorkie also!

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your cats treatment sounds like it’s going so well! I hope the fungassy test stays negative!

meanwhile my ragdoll, the one who has been scratching herself like a dog; I inspected her skin again around the neck and ears where she has been scratching.
And I noticed a red rash? Or lesions? I can’t tell what it is to be honest. It is not crusty, does not light up green at all, and it appeared so suddenly. Because I did inspect that area yesterday and it was not red like that at all. Maybe just slightly pink-red but nothing concerning because I assumed it was her skin and is more that it was more noticeable because I put the miconaplze lotion on her so her fur are more stuck together.

i hope it is not ringworm lesions because it doesnt make sense. This would mean her lesions are getting worse despite starting the last dose of itrafungol on Sunday and despite the lime sulfur and miconzole topical lotion.
May be an allergic reaction to the miconaole lotion? I only once a while put it on the neck and ears. Or it’s another type of rash…. Or just her skin being irritated because she has been scratching herself. Her claws were long. Haven’t been cutting the claws as often since the ringworm started, but just cut her claws just now. I scheduled a vet visit for Sunday. Unfortunately, they don’t have Saturday visit. Honestly can’t tell if it’s ringworm or not, if it is, why does it seem like it’s getting worse?

my Russian blue’s ear is still a bit crusty. He might have lost a bit more fur on it.. hm.
hopefeully my cats treatment is getting better for them. Still barely any apple green.

Attachments

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad we were both able to help each other :)
My vet didn’t recommend a certain schedule of when to go in and how many times.
but honestly the veTs I’ve seen so far seem to suggest that one negative fungal culture is enough.
But I disagree, because of the chance of reinfection.
when I did fungal test on my cats, I brought them one week after they finished their 3weekly dose of itrafungol. And then I brought them in for fungal culture to check for reinfection, 1- 1.5 months after the first fungal culture. Just togive the fungus some time to “grow back” if they are getting reinfected .

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also for the fungal culture at my vet, it would take 3 weeks for the results to come back. So I had
To time the results coming back and the next fungal culture to be done.

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the information on testing. I’m wondering if your cat is having an allergic reaction to the cream? Looks red and tender! Glad you have an appointment because it does not look like hair loss or a lesion. My cats had slightly more hair loss even after starting the medicine. I felt like it wasn’t working but hair is growing back. I’m going to test again! Not sure time wise. So concerned about fungus starting again.

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
brought my ragdoll to the vet yesterday. the vet does not think its a ringworm lesion. shes more worried about it getting bacterial infection. said it could be possible fleas or tick which i doubt or that the lime sulfur dip irritated her skin. she did consider the possibility of the cats being reinfected with new ringworm lesions, but state it is not likely.
the "lesions" she has on her head/neck area and ear got a bit crusty and did not light up under the vet's wood lamp. i did fungal/pcr test on her anyways just to rule out ringworm. culture will be out in 3 weeks and pcr will be out in a week hopefully.

my siberian developed some redness or "lesion" on the back of his head/neck as well. no apple green on him as well. but his head is losing fur.

my russian blue who had the ringworm lesions on the ears, his lesions got worse and hes losing even more fur on his ears and head. the worse "ringworm infection" i've seen so far. it started getting orange crusty today. honestly, im assuming the lime sulfur was too harsh on their skin and now his lesions are getting infected because he keeps scratching it. i neeed to clean his lesions of discharges frequently.

ive only lime sulfur dipped (with proper dilution ratio) them twice so far (5/11 and 5/15) since they started they oral antifungal med on 4/24. i will stop the lime sulfur dip. hoping their skin gets better now :( during their first ringworm infection, i lime sulfur dipped them once a week throughout their entire treatment and they had no side effects.

my vet gave me Douxo S3 PYO Antiseptic Antifungal Chlorhexidine Dog Mousse,
to put on the cats "lesions". hopefully that helps. all three cats are wearing a cone for now to prevent them from further scratching it.
they started their last week of intrafungol yesterday. i hope their "lesions" now are not ringworm lesions that just appeared towards the end of their treatment.... because i asked my vet if they could still go on oral antifungal medication for additional weeks if it was and my vet advised against it because of the damage it could do to their liver. so if they get infected with ringworm again for a fourth time, no more oral antifungal med will be given, only topical medications and to let their "immune system run its course".... which probably will take a while... :(((

how have your cats been the past two days?

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG!!! Sounds very overwhelming ☹ Your poor kitties and I’m sure discouraging for you! I used a fairly strong antifungal shampoo and I do think it has affected my Bengals fur. Her hair loss on her back is more than usual. She is 12 now and never shed this much. My adult main coon is scratching and I had to take off his seresto collar because he made a small raw spot under his chin. His hair is flying everywhere. No collar and still scratching around his neck and ears. I took a toothbrush and and brushed the areas of concern for a Fungassy test. I cannot see any spores on him. A couple of my cats do have little blue specks that brush off easy enough when I checked with the blue light. I don’t think it’s ringworm spores but cannot figure out what? No lesions showing up right now. I’m so cautious when I do pet them . I’m washing my hands a lot. I am not relaxed at all. My dogs finish their treatment today and I will take a culture tomorrow. My little female main coon has the blue specks and not even near any cats? Her fur comes out fairly easy when I pet her also. I did do a lot of fungal baths previously. I’m not sure. No one is showing bald spots though. Vacuuming every day because I feel better when I can remove what I can see😬 I sincerely hope it is just the process of healing for your cats. The watched the lesions on my yorkie change. They started and then slowly green clusters of spores. So small. Hair loss began around the original crusty area and it has slowly changed for the better. It has taken time and area above her eye is still slightly puffy. I’m testing her tomorrow!!! Stay strong!

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
extremely discouraging :( havent had a normal life with my cats since september 2021. the thought of this being their "fourth time" breaks my mentality and makes me think about running away a lot . these topical medication are a lot stronger than we thought.... did you stop the antifungal shampoo on your bengal?
you dont see anything visible on your main coon right? how is the fungassy test on him? hope your pets are still ringworm free!
the medication my vet gave helped decrease the orange crust on my russian blue. all three are still scratching a bit but not as much as the other days.
also for the crates, did you remove hair from wires every single day? and you used wet wash cloth and then blowtorched the leftovers?

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have definitely gone through so much with this! I had one lesion on my leg and was stressed about it and how contagious to my other pets. I can’t even imagine having to go through all you have had to. Glad the medication is helping and hopefully your test come back negative. My vet said the lime sulphur dip was strong and recommended the anti fungal shampoo. I did have a a chewy vet recommend a good strong anti fungal shampoo. My vet had shampoo that I did use at first but in my panicking the chewy one sounded much more effective. I have stopped anti fungal shampooing. I need to shampoo my yorkie this weekend and take hair from lesion area for fungassy. No color change on any of the fungassy yet. Any scratching stresses me. My little female that brought it in does look clear of hair loss,lesions or scratching. She had the lesion is February to begin with. Large and crusty. I am no where near comfortable with my cats out. Life is not back to normal! I used a wet rag and wiped off as much hair as possible on the cages and towards the end the hair stuck even more . I used a barbecue lighter with the handle. Like a large lighter. It did help. I have no curtains up in the room. I have a sheet over the rod it was easier to wash if necessary. Hair flying around and I think it helped because of no carpeting. I threw out cat trees and whatever I felt that I could not clean well. My house is not the same. Not sure when I will purchase a living room recliner for myself again. Dogs are finished with their meds and will remain penned up for a couple weeks so I can try and make sure it’s cleared up. I actually have used a lint roller on my bengal due to so much hair loss and she loves it. Like getting gently brushed and still there is hair shedding. If all goes well for my pets I will be so relieved and yet I cannot relax because of how severe this is to treat both pets and the environment 😩😭😳
I cannot imagine having to do it all over again! I’m exhausted from all of it mentally, physically and financially 🙁

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my siberian has been scratching even more around the ears and head. honestly, cant tell if this is the result of the miconzole (i mainly put that around the ears and head/neck) or the lime sulfur or another ringworm lesion :(
still have not gave any lime sulfur dips or miconzaole since. i feel so bad for my cats :(
i definitely know how you feel about the scratching. it gives me so much anxiety. im glad your little female kitty is clear of lesions and doing well!! :)) the cats have been losing more fur since this new rash/lesions started.
i threw out my cat trees as well. i bought my cats a wooden rocket cat tower in hope that they could use it, but unfortunately their third reinfection happened.. i definitely learned my lesson in buying fabric and carpeted cat towers/furnitures.
definitely agree with mentally, physically and financially exhausted as well! im honestly just pushing myself now. my dream is to be free with the cats :) been spending wayyyy too much money. especially since ive been changing their litter everyday. i work as a registered nurse night shift so my body is so physically drained and having to clean up the cats after work is a lot.

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So overwhelming! I also work third shift and then a part time first shift some days. I work with special need individuals. I originally thought it was going to be a month of treatment and lol is well👀 Did not happen that way. I lost my little male kitten at the end who I still miss. He was a loving little kitten. Then to watch cats locked up for over 8 weeks. Definitely takes a toll on them right along with us. Bengal has finally started to relax and getting vocal again. I am glad you are in a new apartment and kitties contained. Hopefully this will be the last of ringworm. I definitely understand the feeling of running away from it all!!! I felt sick every time I thought about it all the first month and then had to adjust to this new way of life. Still it’s not over😩 Let’s be hopeful this is moving along slowly in the right direction 👍😊

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
you work too much! i'm already exhausted with one job but you're handling all of your jobs so well!!
yes i agree. i thought it would be for a month too but now reaching 9 months.... X.X
all of my cats are growing fur on their body but they still lost fur around the neck and ears where the new "rash" appeared... gets a bit orange crusty at time. not the usual crust i'm used to seeing with ringworm. they are still scratching there once a while. my ragdoll pcr test that was done at her vet visit on sunday came back negative! but last time my russian blue pcr test came back negative in april, his culture came back positive.... so i will not get my hopes up on this negative pcr test. her culture will come back in 3 weeks.

my siberian on the other hand, on Tuesday night he started to lose appetite in the evening. on wednesday he refused to eat anything including treats the whole day. so didn't give his itrafungol on wednesday. wasn't sure if itraungol is killing his liver now... he was suppose to have his last itrafungol on Saturday. my husband started to see him shake/shiver a bit when i was at work so i couldn't bring him in. on thursday morning, he refused treats and dry foods. when i brought out the wet food, he started eating a bit but still seem pretty lethargic. he just ate another can of wet foood and still refuse all others, but is moving a bit more now. i also held his itrafungol on thursday as well. it is pretty weird because out of all of the cats, my siberian is the piggiest. he will step on the other cat's head to get to the food first and will smack them with his paws to claim the bowl. my vet returned my call and advised me to stop giving my siberian his itrafungol. he hasn't shiver/shake as much since the morning. i bought a cat thermometer from amazon to see if he has a fever. seems like he getting a bit better. if he doesn't, ill bring him in to the vet tomorrow

is your bengal still hissing at the other cats? that would be funny if he still was. reminds me of my russian blue (first cat) who forgot about my siberian (second cat) and started hissing at him when my ragdoll (my third cat) arrived XD

found this on amazon and i will definitely buy it for my cats and for myself ;) when the ringworm is over. its so cute!
i also started wearing compression socks and started taking tylenol for my body fatigue from work and its been helping so much!!

Attachments

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG! You truly have been through right along with cats🙁 All the care is exhausting. I’m hoping no crust or any signs of distinct hair loss on my cats is a positive sign. Yet, I know that is not a solid diagnosis.Fungassy has not changed color. How is your Siberian doing? Hopefully better? Very cute cat tower😊

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
no crust or any signs of distinct hair loss is definitely a positive sign! so glad for you :)

my siberian started to eat a bit wet food. still refuse all others though. treats included. i brought him to the vet on saturday. unfortunately he has ringworm on his head and it is crusty and extensive to the point where you can peel fur apart to see a lot of underlying crust. even my vet doenst know what to do. she advised me to see a dermatologist. in NY, there are barely any dermatologist. i have been calling since since saturday but most places are either closed still because of the holiday or they dont have a dermatologist or if they do have a dermatologist, the earliest appt in july. i am at loss. dont know how my cats could get ringworm while they are still taking itrafungol, getting lime sulfur, and miconazole. i am disinfecting twice weekly, changing litter daily, rinsing bowls daily (disinfecting twice weekly(, vaccuming daily, changing clothes, wearing gloves and washing hands after touching the cats. yet nothing seems to work......

my siberian blood test for the liver and kidney came back normal. so i restarted his itrafungol. while waiting for the results, he skipped three days of itrafungol. he needs to catch up now. my russian blue and ragdoll finished their itrafungol. but their ringworm is still crusty.

also what do you know about ringworm getting into airvents/ Airconditioners/ heaters/ central air and what not? i read that the airvents would need to be disinfected but not sure if thats actually necessary,
how stressed out were your cats while they were in their crates? were their tails up or down.

i honestly think that the whole treatment i gave to my cats including the lime sulfur dip stressed them and decreased their immune system and damaged their skin to the point where it allowed easy entry for the ringworm. that is what i am assuming.. i still have yet to put topical medications on the cats because i honestly dont know if im hurting the cats now because their skin is just so impaired or am i helping them. hoping to get a dermatologist appointment soon to get some advice. the cats ringworm are getting very bad. the worse i have ever seen it and it disheartens me so much.....

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow unbelievable that ringworm is affecting your cats so severely! I’m glad your Siberians liver is normal. I did purchase a filter for my furnace that was listed as blocking mold spores and such. That was after ringworm was already in my house and I did not know it. I don’t have central air but only very recently had my air conditioners put in the windows. I am still watching and checking my cats and dogs daily looking for any signs of recurring ringworm. The fact that you even moved and then brought the cats into a clean environment. They are taking the intrafungal and lesions appear to be getting worse sounds horrible 😬😳 I would be at a loss in what else to do. Difficult to find a dermatologist and book an appointment. You need help now!!!
Each cat of mine handled being in a cage differently. My shy one would huddle in his and just look at me. Another just wanted me to pet him and yet I wouldn’t because of fear of brushing ringworm spores off.Bengal was very vocal and complained every time she saw me.My large tabby male just chilled. They have my kitchen chairs with towels to sleep on in the living room for now. I keep a sheet on my bed on top of my blanket. Easier to change out and wash. I do see blue specks on the fur with the blue light and still not sure what that is. Hopefully not ringworm spores.
I was a crazy cat lady and threw away everything that I could not clean. A beautiful large area rug in my bedroom and then my living room furniture. So concerned about the spores. Basement cleaned out the best I could Unbelievable persistent fungus. I’m not sure what I did was necessary but I panicked after reading information on the internet.
I do think the antifungal treatments are harsh and do break down the skin a bit. My bengal has the thinnest coat she has ever had and my Siamese who is 19 went through the treatment much better and she has kidney disease? Makes no sense but each cat is different.No more cat towers for now and never carpeted ones for sure. No more dog beds only blankets I can wash frequently. I did wash the bedding they had each time antifungal shampooing was done. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing and your kitties.

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i brought my siberian to the dermatologist yesterday and it was extremely helpful. i shouldve brought my cats to the dermatologist for ringworm treatment from the start instead of my primary vet actually... the dermatologist spent A LOT of time talking to me about my siberian and helped me plan treatment for my other two cats that i didnt bring. shockingly the dermatologist talked just as much or maybe even more than me. i feel like for my other vet visits, i only was able to talk to them for a few minutes only since they needed to rush to the next client... but did not feel rush with the dermatologist at all.

she pretty much told me that my siberian's lesions did not light up under woods lamp but that is prob false positive because he is undergoing treatment right now and suspects ringworm anyways. she also said that lime sulfur is very safe to use as long as it is properly diluted and i can continue using lime sulfur, but i should stop the miconazole topical. my siberian's skin isnt that bad she said. shockingly, she said that the dosing he was on for itrafungol, 1.8 ml based on The daily dosage is 5 mg/kg (0.5 ml/kg) on the bottle is actually very low (my siberian is 8 lbs).

she mentioned that the itrafungol dose can be given at 10 mg/kg every day for 3 weeks. i was pretty shock to hear this because my primary vet barely mentioned this possibility which she described to be the "loading period" (amount of time it takes bottom
layer of skin to get to top layer of skin), before then "pulse dosing" (one week on and one week off cycle).

also state: There is no precise limit on how long a cat can be on an antifungal, and I often don't recheck bloodwork unless a cat is having problems while on the med. It would be helpful to check liver bloodwork every 6 months. Side effects of itrafungol can include GI upset and rarely liver toxicity. also that pretty much all meds can cause liver toxicity.

she said my other two cats can start 10 mg/kg every day for 3 weeks as well but i should probably get their liver checked up first. im bringing my other cats in tomorrow to my primary vet to their lab drawn for liver function. when their lab results come back, i will start all three on the "loading period" of itrafungol at the same time! in the meantime, i will start their lime sulfur dip.

also stated that "true infection from the environment is a rare event and its more likely the cats passing it back to each other"
and that for Laundering, "Water temperature and bleach additive are not as helpful as agitation time, so use the
longest wash setting, and do not overfill the machine to allow the most agitation". i will prob still use the hottest temp and borax though. "machines and dryers are usually not contaminated, but the machines should be wiped
with a dilute bleach or accelerated hydrogen peroxide cleaner after use"

I will prob get my cats OTC antihistamine for the itchiness.
in regards to the woods lamp, she said that Microsporum does not always grow on woods lamp. M. canis - usually glows on Wood's lamp. my cats came back positive for microsporum and not M. canis.

how do you feel with all the cats out now? are you somewhat at ease now? a lot less cleaning to do now! i def did do some overreading as well XD, but i was pretty desperate to be free.. dont think the blue specks are ringworm spores. also i believe the woodlamp doesnt actually detect spores, but something else related to the fungus. i forgot exactly how it works.. but i absolutely cannot wait to spoil my cats one day. i will buy them everything thats not fabric/carpet LOL.

in regards to how often you should do fugassy cultures, my dermatologist suggested to continue all treatments until at least 2 negative cultures ~3-4 weeks apart. also to my surprise, she said quarantining my cats in the large outdoor dog kernel is a "very good idea because it is easy to clean". i kinda thought it wanst a good idea at some point XD

Attachments

Last edited:

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG!,, So glad you went to the dermatologist! Such needed information and treatment plan. It’s obvious a regular vet has limited knowledge on ringworm care and intrafungal. Thank you for sharing all of the information. If I have a recurrence I will go to a dermatologist also. Maybe now I can relax a little about the environment. This has been so stressful and now I had to find a cardiologist for my female kitten who is only 11 months old due to a heart murmur diagnosis on Tuesday. I am out in the country in CT. Finally a specialist called me yesterday morning and had a cancellation. She is diagnosed with HCM. He said she is very young to have it already. Definitely genetic. She is now on heart medication every day and still the chances of her sudden collapse like her brother is a possibility due to clots forming and entering the heart. She is not ready for blood thinners at this time he said.
On a more positive report fungassy cultures are staying the same color and recently took two new ones. Just waiting to let my dogs free in the house and especially since you learned it probably would not be the environment. Cats and dogs will share a blanket on the floor though. No hair loss or crustiness on anyone so far! Anyway off to work I go and trying to adjust emotionally from it all. Again, so glad you are near the end of all this😁👍

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m pretty sure I asked you this before, but I don’t remember exactly what you said…
Did you clean the hair off the crates with the barbecue lighter daily? And when you did use the barbecue lighter, did you stop the wet towel method entirely? Or would still use it from time to time.

I’m trying my hardest to make eveything perfect for the next three weeks when they will be on the itrafungol everyday. This might be my last chance to make it work :( I honestly hope this works out this time. Ringworm has been causing a lot of martial problems for me as well. Before ringworm, my husband and I would barely argue. However 9 months of ringworm has been taken it’s tolls.

also I highly doubt now that the lime sulfur dip has been causing my cats irritation because I’ve been using it at a 1:32 ratio actually, the bottle offers a 1:16 ratio which is more effective and is still safe, but might cause some reactions. My 1:32 ratio is actually pretty safe. My dermatologist did say that it is safe to use as long as it is diluted properly and used as directed.

is the 11 months old kitten a main Coone as well? What loudness level was his murmur?
My ragdoll had a level 1 out of 6 I believe back in January, but thankfully, it disappeared by April.
Oh no :( so sorry to hear this. I hope she does well with the medications though! Glad you were able to talk to a specialist so fast though! I realized with ringworm that getting specialist appointment are really hard.

I adopted both of my Russian blue and Siberian (the one who brought in ringworm) from CT! I live in NYC.

Last edited:

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
also which barbecue lighter did you use? mines just came today, but battery kinda sucks and has small surface area.
and when you did use the barbecue lighter, would you say that you got rid of mossttt of the fur stuck on the cage or all of it?

Last edited:

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
I purchased the lighters at Walmart outdoor grill area. Just basic long handled lighters. I did it once a week. It was so tedious because I had so many cages. It wasn’t perfect but it helped. I think the most effective disinfecting I did was spraying the entire room and cages with rescue in a gallon sprayer. I think that is why the hair stuck to the cages. There is still hair left on them. So difficult to remove all of it. Vacuumed, wiped down with Lysol wipes and the lighter. Nothing is perfect!! Just do your best is all I can suggest. The cat with cardiomyopathy is a Maine coon. Her brother is the one who died suddenly. Such sweet kittens. Her heart wall is already thickening. Medication is to relax her heart so it is not working so hard. They did not say what level the murmur is. She had an echocardiogram to find the diagnosis. I was very fortunate they had a cancellation and fit me in.
I am so glad you were able to get your appointment with the dermatologist. I’m sure the stress level has affected your personal life! I can’t eve imagine all you have been through just trying to get your cats well and yourself.I live alone so it only wore me down. I would call my friend in South Carolina and she was my emotional support. Just venting to someone helped. It has been so helpful having this forum to exchange information, encouragement and just knowing I’m not alone going through this. Sounds like you also love your kitties very much💕 When I started doing ringworm laundry I read somewhere to do an extra rinse as well. I did choose the longest cycle available on my machine with extra rinse. I used bleach and borax. Very clean laundry . LOL Still doing the same for all laundry. I’m a little more relaxed but it has definitely changed how I’m living in my house! Take care and talk soon😊