Ringworm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The incubator was a thought to keep the fungal cultures a set temp. Right now they are room temp in a dark space. I used the blue light on my dogs fur to check and I only was able to see what looked like two spores.
I checked my cats and I think I see minimal green pores on the tips of fur a couple of them with longer hair and thick coats. Going to bathe again Saturday. I was thinking about lime sulphur dip that I already purchased in the beginning but never used. You have some long haired kitties!! I might try and give the longer haired cat a hair cut? You are determined also to be rid of ringworm and I know it is so much work.Thank you for sharing the information with me on testing!!! I did pluck hairs and used a sterile toothbrush to obtain samples. I think I’m going to brush my cats fur with another sterile toothbrush and try that way also. Right now no color change.
Ragdolls and Norwegian forest cats have such a long beautiful coat. Russian blues look like they have a thick coat also. Keep up the good work and again thank you😊👍

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
Another question? When did you realize your cats were reinfected? Once mine are free again I want to watch for reinfection!

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh i assumed that for the fungassy test you would have to pluck the fur and send it out for it to be tested, but it seems like you are plucking and doing the testing yourself? sounds difficult :/

i actually did not notice any symptoms of reinfection . i brought them in on 2/26 to get them tested because they finished their treatment, they tested negative. on 4/4, i brought them in anyways to get them tested even though they had no lesions and barely any apple green on them because i wanted to make sure they didn't have it again before i move into my new apartment. even the vet inspected my cats and thought they were clear as well. thankfully, i brought them in just on time and i think caught their reinfection very early in their stage as there are barely any lesions on my siberian and ragdoll that i can see at the moment. only a few bald spots on my russian blue's ear for now. after they finish their treatment, i plan on bringing them in once a month to get them tested for reinfection. i would feel safe to let them out if they get three consecutive negative cultures.

unfortunately, my large crate got lost in shipping and still isn't here.... my cats are still currently quarantining in one of those outdoor large plastic play pen. my ragdoll apparently learned how to unzipped the playpen from the inside... i caught her running around the room three times so far! she let out the other two cats a few times as well.. hopefully the crate comes soon... the good news is that there are barely any fur to clean up now since all three cats are groomed. for once, there are more litter to clean up than fur :)

i also managed to lime sulfur dip them. shockingly, despite the cats being groomed, they weren't easily drenched with the lime sulfur. when i was pouring the lime sulfur on them, it seemed like the lime sulfur was still bouncing off them despite their very little fur. i had to really rubbed the lime sulfur with and against their fur line for it to get directly get on the skin.
if you plan on lime sulfuring your cats, i do recommend grooming them prior, as my cats barely have very very short fur right now but i still had to rub it on them.

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have a very smart kitty! Unzipping and getting free for awhile. LOL. I hope your cage comes in soon. I was anxious for mine to come in once ordered and there were no delays. Ringworm is so persistent. I gave one of my cats a haircut. He had mats so I figured it was time. I hope no lesions start due to shaving him. Lion cut. After reading everything you have shared I don’t know if what I’m seeing with the woods light are spores or not. I purchased the fungassy test vials myself because my vet does offer that service. If I start with a new vet I think it might be costly. I now have 6 cats and the 3 little dogs. Who do I have checked first. All would need an initial appointment for any vet to do anything I believe. I may make some calls and check anyway. I am going to give everyone a very thorough antifungal bath on Saturday. Do my best to disinfect everything. My dogs still have another week of medication starting this upcoming Tuesday. Cat hair is still flying around. Cats shed so much. It’s good you were able to do a lions cut on your cats. It sounds much easier to see any lesions. I have not noticed anything new starting but will try and check better when I’m handling for shampooing. Honestly I am afraid to let them out again even when they look good. I don’t want to have to start all over again. I don’t have anything left for soft furniture except my bed. I tossed out every thing else in the beginning. But cats were all over whatever they could climb on or get to. Very good at exploring. Another product I found is oxine. It is used th kill fungal spores in poultry and aviaries. I think that is what I’m going to fog my house with once the yorkies are finished treatment. Trying to hit ringworm from all angles available. Keep up the good work! I know it’s hard work but I believe you and I will be successful and cats will be free again.

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is too smart that it makes me worried how she could escape in the middle of the night and touch everything :( I need the cage to come ASAP, the play pen gets dirty too fast and is very hard to clean.

I’m so glad my cats are now groomed :) I don’t see fur flying around now! And being able to see any possible lesions gives me reassurance instead of not knowing what’s under their fur.

For the fungassy test, how long do you plan to stop the topical medication before doing the test? I plan on bringing my cats to get tested when they finish their itrafungol (week of May 29th), but not sure when to stop their topical medication to prevent false negative.
For the fogger, would the rescue disinfectant work for It?

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I gave the two cats I tested a regular shampoo and then took hair samples. This week I will do antifungal shampoo again. Anxious not to miss anything!! I am reading over our sharing again and honestly I can’t even imagine so many lesions!!! I had one and wanted to run in the other direction which wasn’t an option. You are amazing in your care and commitment 💕I’m not sure if Fungassy will work. It needs air flow so you cannot tighten the cap to much. I think the incubator may not work? Really trying to focus a lot of my energy and attention to the environment. I may contact the rescue disinfectant company and inquire about fogging.

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have decided to bathe cats in a regular cat shampoo this Saturday and then attempt to take samples for fungassy test from some of my cats. I read the instructions again and it does say room temperature. I cannot let them out until the dogs are done treatment. I might as well make good use of this time while they are still contained. When they are released I will be on high alert for any changes on them for quite awhile anyway. I have so many pets that I believe in my circumstance this is the best way to handle it. I am going to make phone calls and inquire who does do fungal culture if I suspect anything is suspicious. Yes, I agree the cats make such a mess being locked up. Everything is nice and clean for about a day🙁. Looking forward to cleaning and baths all over again tomorrow!

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How many days of regular shampoo will you do before doing the fungassy test?

our pets treatment are nearing towards the end :)
My cats will be done with their second week of itrafungol on Sunday! Can’t believe I only need deal with one more cycle of itrafungol :) time has been passing fast! We have both been doing eveything we can to free the cats ASAP :)

You have A LOT of pets but has been handling so well :) makes me glad I only have three for now XD

also I did a full body inspections on all of my cats with the blue light. My Siberian and Ragdolls, I still don’t see any lesions or loss of fur. They barely have any apple green. And if they do have apple green, I can remove it with my hand. Don’t think that is ringworm then…. Only my Russian blue still has some bald spots on the ears and no other lesions.
since my cats escaped three times in a day before, they’ve only escape once since :) which is an improvement but sitll anxiously waiting for my very large crate to come

when you see apple green on your pets, could you remove the apple green with your hands? By brushing it off?

Also, very proud to say that I still haven’t developed any lesions ring this incidence of ringworm yet! Such a huge improvement to the 70 lesions I got the first time and the 5 lesions that I got the second time. I thought I would get a lot this week because I groomed my cats last Saturday. So I was worried that I would be exposed because of all the shaving, but thankfully I still didn’t get any lesions and that was probably the most high risk exposure to ringworm that I will prob get during this ringworm infection. Meaning, I should be clear for the rest of the cats treatment!

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I read on rescue site, that their disinfectant can also be used in fogging. I think if you were to fog, using rescue will be much more reliable than using o oxine. Just because rescue is much more well known to kill ringworm. Not too sure about oxine

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear you have no more lesions! I have handled mine when I have had to and always washed hands and arms after. I have not developed any lesions. Hope your cage comes in asap😬 Now that they are shaved im glad you can get a good look at them. Thank you for mentioning the rescue in a fogger. Pet friendly and it does kill ringworm. I plan on fogging next weekend. I’m going to give my cats each a very good shampooing with regular pet shampoo. Going to massage and scrub best that I can to remove as much loose hair as possible. Clean and disinfect the best I can before putting them back in the cages. When they are dry I will use a sterile toothbrush and brush them the same way a veterinarian did on you tube for an example of a fungassy test. I don’t see any lesions on them but I’m going to do a better check when they are cleaned and dry. I haven’t tried pulling off the apple green I have seen but will do so tonight when the room is dark. My cats have been locked up for 7 weeks.Im thinking of one more week of being locked up and then possibly letting them out. If I don’t see anything suspicious happening on the fur. . I will keep a sheet over my bed when I’m not in it and there is nothing left of soft furniture in my house right now. I can’t afford to take each one for a test even if I find a vet. They will not treat any cat without an initial visit first. So much that I have spent alreadry. After reading everything you have gone through I am going to focus on my environment and clean again where the cats have not been since caged.. If the cultures show anything that particular cat will be quarantined again! Hoping not but I need to have an end somewhere. Hold my breath and hope for the best.Dogs are starting there last treatment on Tuesday. I will be keeping them in there pen after final treatment a little longer just to watch and see if they stay looking good. The intrafungal they are on also seems to be very effective on the one are of lesions my girl had. I will test them also. My little guy lost some hair on his side and it was starting but I was able to catch it quicker because I was looking. Dogs do not shed like cats and that has been helpful taking care of there area😊Ringworm is horrible and I’m exhausted from all the work and working two jobs but it must be done. Glad you are in a new apartment and have the room for your cats to be quarantined. Yes the treatment is moving along for both of us and thankful for the intrafungal being available. Topical and baths are not enough with ringworm. Cats have to much fur!!!

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
let me know how the fogging with the rescue works :)
my cratee finally came! no more anxiety of the cats escaping for the rest of the treatment. they liek the crate a lot better than the play pen for sure. going to try lime sulfuring dip them tomorrow :) how long will it take for the fungassy test to result after you collect it?
will you let them out to all the rooms in the house? or sitll confined to one room but just out of the crates for now?
the plan for your pets sounds very good! hopefully this will be your first and lasssttt infection of ringworm.
im very desperate to get rid of the ringworm this time just because the itrafungol is toxic to their liver and i cant keep giving them it..
if your fungassy test comes back negative, are you still going to topical bathe them? or stop with the topical baths?
cats have wayyy too much fur. i didnt even realize how big my siberian's Primordial pouch was until i shaved him. didnt even know what it was or that he had one XD

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear your cat enclosure has arrived!! It sounds like your cats had plenty of fur😬 The fungassy test can show a change in color as early as 48 hours once placed in the container. No color change yet . I pulled fur from two and also used a toothbrush around face and ears. I took fur again from the kitten who brought it in around her face and where the lesion had been. My bengal is shedding so much I had to just brush her face and ears for a sample to test. Too much fur when I attempt to brush the backs of my cats. I scrubbed all of them on Saturday with regular cat shampoo just to rid of antifungal shampoo and loosen any hair due to shedding. I have not noticed any lesions or scaling. I’m going to try and fog after I remove all the animals from their crates and pen tomorrow. I will let the older cats out and then begin to vacuum a lot. The kitten who brought it in I will let her out of the crate but contained in the room I have been using. She is way to friendly and affectionate. That is how my yorkie got a lesion on her face. She loves to rub against you and such a lovely kitten. I want to contain her a little longer and watch for any changes and possibly another culture taken. It says the intrafungal continues working two after last dose. My cats are going on 9 weeks of being in cages. I need to let them out. The dogs will remain penned up and only let outside in their pen to run around. I’m hoping the rescue when fogged does not leave a sticky residue.

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
how long has it been since you tested their fur for the fungassy test? i just think my second lime sulfur dip yesterday! went well.
do you see your cat scratch themselves often? once a while i would see my ragdoll scratch around her neck and ears... i can't tell if its normal scratching or ringworm scratching. so i made sure to lime sulfur dip around that area yesterday.
and how long has it been since your cats stop the itrafungol?

my cats are super affectionate as well :) which is probably how i got so many lesions the first time. they were always sitting on me.
so far the rescue hasn't been leaving much residue on my floors yet.
i have to use the rescue on my cage yet since i just got the cage and it should be considered "clean". will begin to disinfect the cage today though. seems like both the treatment for your cats and my cats have been going well so far!!! :))

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took the first Fungassy test 2 and 1/2 weeks ago. They finished their intrafungsl middle of April. I gave baths twice weekly and during treatment and then once weekly. I fogged the house yesterday and it did coat everything well with the rescue. Residue wasn’t to much. Cats are out except for the newer one but at least she can play and exercise in the room. My bengal is growling and hissing at the other cats like she doesn’t remember them. I got rid of the comfy furniture and cat trees so I think that is stressful to the other cats as well. I haven’t noticed any scratching yet. Fungassy cultures are not changing color. Hopefully it stays that way! Sounds like you are making progress with your cats treatment. I know it’s not easy. I’m going to vacuum very thoroughly today. I’m still cautious petting my cats. Day by day for us both!!!

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the rescue has not left much residue on the cage yet :) thankfully. i used the blue light on the areas where my cats have been scratching (around the neck) and also inspected their skin: no apple green and no lesions! i put miconazole lotion topical on the area just in case though.... i hope it is just normal scratching.. every time i see them scratching themselves like a dog it makes me wonder if it is ringworm or not.
my russian blue who lost fur on his ear; i noticed that those same spots got a bit crusty.... hopefully his medication is working or maybe i just never noticed the crustiness before. still barely any apple green on any of the cats and if there are apple green, i could remove it with my hand. did you find out if the apple green on your cats can be removed with your hand?

im so glad your cats (except for the kitten) are free!! your bengal is very funny LOL. hissing at the other cats...
my cats will be starting their third on-off week of itrafungol on sunday :) i am very excited to finish the treatment.
my ragdoll is grew back some fur on her legs and is starting to shed fur :(

also for your cats who did have lesions, how does their lesions looks like now? apple green on it still?

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
great to hear that the fogger-rescue turned out well without much residue! i might consider it as well.

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear the Russian blues lesion is getting crusty. My yorkie who had lesions began with crusting and then drying up. They are on there last week of treatment. My cats are rubbing on chair and table legs. Rubbing their cheeks on whatever they can when they are feeling relaxed and near me! Makes me nervous it’s ringworm starting again. Some scratching like a dog but I just put their seresto collars on because of the dogs and I do have an outdoor catio for them. Only one had apple green specks and I was able to rub off. I’m going to check again later today now that you asked! I’ve been stressed just watching and wondering. My bengal has lost so much fur with shedding or to much antifungal shampoo and spray? I don’t think it’s ringworm She never had any lesions or bald spots. Hair is growing back in where the lesions were but I don’t trust it yet! My Fungassy cultures haven’t changed color yet😬🤞Watching and waiting. Your cats are almost finished with their treatment 😊 The shedding is scary and you have a very heavy coated cat. They are a beautiful cat though❤ I now try to vacuum as much as possible sometimes twice a day if I can find the time. Picking up fur whenever I see it. OCD
Then there is the hair that is flying around here and there😬 Keep up the good work you are doing and with that and a new apartment it should be finished this time🤞👏👍

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The crustiness on my Russian blue’s ear is a good thing then? I don’t remember if this happened before in the previous too infection… perhaps it did.. but I forgot XD

also I’m surprised you don’t need to replace the fungassy culture with “new cultures” that was most recently collected.
Oh wow great sounds like you barely have any apple green too! I think your bengal is just shedding fur. Not because of ringworm.
does your cats still have some lesions though? Or have they all disappeared?

almost done :) thank you for the support you’ve given me!

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The one crusty lesion was on the new Maine coon kitten I had purchased at Xmas time. The lesion was I believe around the end of February. Hair loss was not noticed because she was fluffy and silver tabby. It was because
of my lesion and noticing the crusty scalp I figured it out along with pictures online. Small patches of hair loss began in my white adult Maine coon and then in the little sibling to my female. It was my yorkie when given a haircut I recognized two lesions that were above each eye from when the kitten was eating out of her food dish while she was eating. Rubbing the lesion on my dog and I was unaware at the time. Tresaderm topical did very little for my cat or dog. Antifungal baths alone are not enough. It was when I began to administer the intrafungal I watched the lesion above her eyes daily and still did apply tresaderm. At first it was this bright green cluster of spores where the lesions were. I would check it with the blue light and notice that it was drying up. There was the hair loss starting surrounding the lesion but it is looking very good right now even though she is still finishing the last week of medication. It glowed bright green at first and slowly that diminished also. The fungassy test says to redistribute the hairs after 10 days which I have tried to do. It can read as early as 48 hours if positive. No change yet. It has about two weeks since the first one and I did take another sample of my female Maine coon. I did look with the blue light and really didn’t see any green spores on 3 of my cats. My little female has blue glowing and I think I can wipe off most of it. I use wood litter pellets and that may be what I’m seeing is the tiny particles. She makes a mess! I think I might try wiping her with a warm cloth and see what it looks like then. No lesions or hair loss that I can see. No green spores on my white Maine coon who had lost hair around both ears. It’s growing back in. I was reading the reviews on chewy for intrafungal and they do sound promising. Still vacuuming like a crazy cat lady though. OMG there is always another hair😳

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The crustiness on my Russian blue’s ear is a good thing then? I don’t remember if this happened before in the previous too infection… perhaps it did.. but I forgot XD

also I’m surprised you don’t need to replace the fungassy culture with “new cultures” that was most recently collected.
Oh wow great sounds like you barely have any apple green too! I think your bengal is just shedding fur. Not because of ringworm.
does your cats still have some lesions though? Or have they all disappeared?

almost done :) thank you for the support you’ve given me!