Ringworm

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn’t want to shave my cats, but three times of infection In a 7 months period is enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello
It sounds as if you have a very good plan! I’m not sure where I’m at with spores ! Horrible little green things. I will try the fungassy test once I watch enough you tube videos to feel confident I am doing it correctly at least to the best of my ability. While the dogs are being treated the cats cannot come out yet. I also want to fog my house again especially the basement. I ordered chlorhexadrine also and the women suggested I use it 50/50 to spray down my basement before I fog. The fogger I may be using is oxine. They use it for fungas with poultry. Not sure yet though. Have to get more information. I want the least amount of spores floating once the animals are free. I was going to lime sulphur dip but my vet was against it. She said the anti fungal shampoos were less harsh and did a good job also of removing spores. I hope it is working. They all hate being left wet for 10 minutes. If I have to start over at some point with this I would probably shave my long haired cats also. My 19 year old Siamese has the thickest coat of all and I would not want to put her through that.
While Out today I noticed a new vet clinic that was recently built and is open. They offer more services than any other vet we have around here. If this does not heal on my animals I think I will try a different vet.

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If anything, I might do a “lion cut” on them :)
Will all of your animals be finishing their treatment at the same time? If not, one might infect the other again. If the fungassy plan does not work, def need to find another vet to do cultures. let me know if you think the fogger is working!

For the antifungal shampoo that has to be left on for ten minutes, one cat would handle it well, one of my pout and face the wall as if he is in ashamed and my other cat would go crazy trying climb/claw up on the door to escape.

The lime sulfur dip is easier for me to give to the cats because usually I would put a cone on them so they won’t lick the lime sulfur and they would just stay sitll in place as if they can’t move with the cone on…

apparently, you can spray the lime sulfur on the cat instead of dipping them. Or even spot treat them with the lime sulfur. Though spraying it might be harder for the long fur cats.

also another reason why I don’t think the wood lamp is too reliable is because back when my cats were first infected and ran amok. I ended up developing 50 -60 lesions in 2ish weeks. I didn’t know if it was ringworm at that time because took it three weeks for cat’s culture to come back, so I went to 4 doctors in the first week to find an answer. One doctor even said “it could be an autoimmune. It looks like psoriasis”. Only the fourth doctor said it was ringworm!

but Anyways the The lamp didn’t light up on the kitties at all. they offered to use their wood lamp on my active lesions that wasn’t on any medication then, Of the around 8-10 lesions they used the lamp on, only oneeee lit up…

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also for the miele c3 cat and dog vacuum that you have, which attachment did you use to vacuum the fur? I usually use this but honestly, not the best to use because of the brushes I think?

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I only had one lesion on myself after a month of having new kitties. One kitten had a lesion on her head and the ver said try tresaderm or baths. Said it wasn’t anything to worry about when I was very concerned after all I read on the internet! Within a short time I noticed her sibling I also purchased had a small bald spot by his ear. Then I insisted on oral meds. My very large Maine coon started with hair falling out around his neck and ears once quarantined. I have not found any other lesions or balding spots on my cats that I can see. I began oral meds on my cats and antifungal baths on cats and three yorkies at the same time. The kitten with the lesion on top of her head always played with and head butted one of my yorkies. She has two tiny lesions right over near eyes. I panicked. Vet said use tresaderm and keep up the bathing. It wasn’t working! Again I insisted on oral meds for her. Finally she prescribed and then I asked for oral meds for the other two dogs because they are penned up together. I wanted to start everyone at the same time with the cats and she would not give me the oral meds. Now cats are caged until yorkies are done and not happy but I will not change anything until all treatment is complete. Bathing dogs twice weekly and cats once weekly. Disinfecting all areas they are in twice weekly. So much work. I put each cat in their own carrier while the time gies by and then rinse. They stay put in carriers while I disinfect their room and cages. New disinfectEd litter boxes each time. I am using a vac master heap shop vac after throwing away my others. Once electrostatic spraying was done I began with the new vac. I also use the Miele in other areas. I’m not sure but I wipe down the head with Lysol wipes and pull the hairs off with a wipe. I have hardwood floors and no carpeting which helps but nothing is perfect. Wooden beams in my house and not sure how to clean those. Pourus surface???
It is amazing you found someone to trim with ringworm going on.

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vac Master hepa filter shop vacuum I purchased but honestly the Miele seems the best.

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to also say I am surprised at how many lesions on you and the cats? I worked at a daycare a long time ago and recognized the one lesion I did get. I will do fogging myself once all treatment is done. Again best of luck in all you do!

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i'm still shocked how you're able to handle alllll of that cleaning for alllll of your pets that well!! i kinda wanted a bengal as my fourth in a few years, but because of this ringworm outbreak.... i dont know anymore...

i dont understand how your vet did not offer the oral anti-fungal initially......
my vets told me that i could giving onlllyyyyy the oral antifungal med is okay since it will treat the infection systematically and that the lime sulfur and other topical medication is not needed and is optional.

yes the miele is the best. everyone who uses my miele, compliments how good it is.

when i start the lime sulfur, i plan on dipping or spraying them maybe twice a week? and later towards the end of the treatment, once a week. i do think my priority is environmental cleaning though just because my cats ringworm lesions doessss go away, but only temporarily.

yes, my lesions spread sooooo fast in 2-3 weeks that the providers i saw automatically ruled out fungus because they stated that fungus cannot spread that fast. but honestly 50-60 lesions was an understatement. i actually counted about 70ish lesions. but i tend to understate it because 70ish lesions in 2-3 weeks is unbelievable. if i remember correctly, i had around 10-13 lesions on my face.... that first ringworm infection was such a nightmare. i still have some of the "scars" from the healed ringworm lesions from that 70ish lesions infection back in september- october 2021. good luck to you as well :)))

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am amazed at the amount of lesions you have had and also you are doing an amazing job yourself with heading into third treatment. Glad to hear the vet said the antifungal oral was effective but your experience just stresses the importance of environmental cleaning. My life right now is working and cleaning along with the meds being given. I don’t want to miss anything.Yet, I know my house and being in and out of the cat room to feed and water is stil letting spores out. Lots of cat hair and it is hard to remove from the sides of the dog kennels their in. They rub themselves and leave fur everywhere! Yorkies are in my living room penned up and then do go outside in a pen also. When I change the cats blankets and towels they lay on so much hair. I use Lysol spray disinfectant to spray laundry baskets and also put blankets into a garbage bag to take outside and shake before washing. I think I will start spraying my vacuum nozzle with Lysol disinfectant. The can says it is effective against athletes foot and ringworm! Tired of cleaning and keeping my little critters all locked up but I know it is for the best right now! I am glad you shared your experience with the woods lamp. It is scary every time I look and see bright green😳

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only good note about the recurrent ringworm infections, is that the first time: I had mass outbreak of lesions, the second time: only five lesions, and right now (third time) : no lesions on me for now!!!
hoping that my 3 cats who are reaching 1 years old right now has developed a somewhat better immunity to fight off the ringworm. hopefully the older they get, the stronger their immunity will be and then the ringworm spore threshold to cause an infection will be much higher.

My cats have been isolating in a bathroom since Monday, May 25th and I’m very happy to say that I’ve been disinfecting, discarding litter, wet mopping/vacuuming the bathroom everydayyy since. Not sure how long i can continue disinfecting daily.... its very tiring..
i agree i have been doing nothing but work, clean, sleep, and eat when i can. i just got a gallon container to use the rescue dilution 1:16 disinfectant so i can officially start using the rescue today! i've been using another disinfect with accelerated hydrogen peroxide this whole time, but the rescue has better reviews so i will be switching.

what material is your laundry basket? i used to have polyester, but i bought a plastic laundry without any holes in it. much easier to clean as it just needs a few wipes. for clothes i put in 1/2 cup borox with my clothes and use hot water and high heat. i read that borox kills ringworm... hopefully it does, if not, the high heat is enough to kill the spores.

i have been using lysol spray to clean my vacuum head accessory as well.
hopefully, it does the job because on the lysol can, it says, it kills trichophyton ringworm but did not mention microsporum ringworm.
My cats culture came back had always came positive for microsporum ringworm (since september) and negative for trichophyton ringworm. ive been researching to see if products that kills trichophyton could also kill microsporum since they are related.
i think it does? or im hoping it does? i haven't been able to find much about it yet.....
if not, i also read the label on rescue disinfectant 1:16 dilution and it could kill BOTH trichophyton anddd microsporum.
so i plan on putting that rescue dilution into a spray bottle to clean the miele and everything else as my backup plan :)

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have been very busy yourself!
I have plastic laundry basket with holes. I just started putting plastic bags in it first because did not think of that till recently. So much hair on the wired dog crates! I vacuumed and then tried the lint roller tape. No luck. I have sprayed the rescue first after vacuuming and using Lysol wipes as best I can but still a lot especially when the sun shines in and it is very visible! I try to be efficient as possible when the cats are in their carriers. I have tomorrow off from work and going to spend the extra time after baths and disinfecting to wipe each wire with
Lysol wipes and remove as much hair as possible!
I am going to test 3 cats next week. One of the videos or something I read said to make sure that there is no antifungal treatment or shampoo on the animals . I will watch videos and learn as much as possible before I do. No help available so I hope my cats cooperate 😊 I have been adding borax as well. Hope it is effective. So overwhelmed I cannot imagine having to start over! We love our cats💕

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel really bad for quarantining my cats :( but must do so until treatment is completed. Unfortunately, the only cat groomer that I should that will touch ringworm doenst haven’t any availabilities soon. So I will prob have to shave my cats myself. I previously shaved my Siberian cat before to find a lesion. He was the cat who has ringworm lesions without losing any fur. I placed him in a very very large bag while I was shaving him so that I would get most of the fur in the bag. He took it really well back then, so hopefully he does the same this time :)

I started using the rescue in the spray bottle and it’s so amazing!
yes, bathing the cats before culture might cause a false negative. Hope that your cat tests negative!! Do let me know if they do :)

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also just as reference, since I plan on buying large crates for my cats as well.
how big are the crates that you have? And how long does it take for you to disinfect it?

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
I use large do crates. Amazon had a couple discounted due to imperfections or returned and they are fine for the cats. It takes awhile with 7 but I get the cats baths completed. I then remove food dishes, blankets and litter boxes. I then use wipes to remove what I can from the tray in the crate. I vacuum the very best I can and then I have the gallon sprayer with rescue to spray down walls, floor and crate. Let it sit long enough and then I mop the floor with clear water and wipe down the trays if still wet. Everything else air drys. Then begin the process of putting everything back all clean and disinfected.
I think next Saturday I’m going to use regular shampoo on three cats I want to test. Alcohol wipe the next day to clean the lesion area and try the Fungassy test. Then wait!!! I am going to watch you tube videos and do my best😬
It took me 4 hours to do my Yorkies and cats today. Lots of laundry to get done now! If the cats are okay they still cannot get out because of the dogs🙁 I wanted to treat everyone at the same time but my vet didn’t think it was necessary! What a process. If I had to do it over again I think I would use the dip also. I was going to and vet said shampoo was just as good and not as harsh on the cats. I just want the fungus gone! Good luck with all your work ahead and shaving!

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have an estimated dimension for the crate for your cats? And how many cats are in it? I’m trying to buy one of my cats soon, but not sure what size is good to get for them. Also when you said that you would clean your pets cage daily, does that mean you will pluck all the fur stuck on the side of the cages daily?

My cats will be in a crate in a room with some furnitures that will be covered with plastic and can’t be moved soon so I don’t want them scratching the plastic.
Based on your cleaning routine, Sounds like the fungus has no chance of living in your environment! It is definitely important for them to be treated all the same time.

I bought a treat for my cats that decreases anxiety and stress. Hoping that it helps them during this hard time.

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
I change the blankets if they are fur covered but not everything is disinfected daily. Twice weekly disinfecting happens. So much work. I disinfect carriers with rescue and then I have rinsed with plain water after that to rinse off the hair and residue from rescue if needed. Grateful it is good weather otherwise I truly dont know what I would do. I have a home and the outdoor hose has been beneficial. I take the blankets outside and shake them off before washing. My cats are tired of being caged but because of the dogs now being treatEd it cannot be helped. I was thinking and wondered why there is not a cat vacuum? So today when vacuuming their area and cages I tried vacuuming my bengal and she loved it💕 I then vacuumed my three Maine coons and it went well. They were curious but were fine. They looked like they enjoyed it actually. I used the soft bristle attachment. I have made several attempts with wipes, washing with a rag and I think the soft bristle brush for vacuuming has worked the best on cleaning off wired cage edges. I am going to try and vacuum the cages daily and possibly the cats who will enjoy it! My white Maine coon sheds soooo much. Hair is everywhere! He loved being vacuumed😊Should have thought of it sooner. Also, I am sending a picture of one of the crates I purchased. It seems to work well. I returned a smaller one because it was to small. Being thirty inches high the cats like to stretch up at times and it gives them enough room. I have stacked one on top of the other because my room is only so big. I also have a plug in of multicat feliway for calming in their room. It is a very good product.

Attachments

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the Miele, I think I’m going to use the attachment without brushes in it. Much easier to clean afterwards. Don’t think my cats will allow me to use the vacuum on them,. They very careful and anxious about it. One of them is terrified of it.

Planing to groom my cats this weekend and then they start the lime sulfur dip soon! My cats are current done with week one of oral treatment. About 4 ish weeks of on and off oral treatment to go.

all of your cats are done with the oral treatment already right? What about your dogs? How many more weeks do they have to go? And did you put each cats their own crate?
So the soft bristle attachment of the Miele is best to clean the hair off the cages?
let me know of any other tips to make the cleaning the cages easier :) I will be cleaning the cage in about a week. This is the cage I will be putting my kitties in until the end of the treatment. Should work since they are all small still. Would love for them to just be free in the room, but with the plastic covering on the furnitures, I don’t want to risk them tearing it off.

Also, Thanks for the help!

Attachments

Sandy7272

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I put 5 cats each individually because they are all adults and I know even being contained in a room would of been territorial issues. The two kittens who brought it in I have them in an extra large dog crate together. They are almost a year old now. Wonderful personalities and I am looking forward to havin* them out. My cats finished treatment a couple weeks ago and the dogs have another four weeks to go. They will start second week of medication. The vet prescriced intrafungal as well because of their size. The cage you have chosen looks great for your situation. I think keeping them contained is safer to clean and treat! I work two jobs but I am going to try and vacuum in their room more frequently now. Bathing once weekly and so glad! Dogs twice weekly but they are no where near the amount if work as my cats.