Ringworm

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we just found out that Oliver has ringworm! Yay us 😩. Would a lime dip be helpful? I don’t think it’s a super serious case, so far only his tail has lesions. Vet will be prescribing anti-fungal meds for 3 weeks and he will be retested towards the end. We just signed adoption papers Sunday and we brought him to the vet bc he has lost fur the week prior. Should I message the rescue about this? I fostered him for 3 weeks before I really noticed the tail losing fur (and before adoption finalized) but he was always a bit itchy during the 3 weeks. Anything else that might help?

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ll tell you what, a lime sulfur dip better be done outside because the smell is Unbelievable. It smells like a truckload of rotten eggs. And you better wear thick gloves because it will get on your hands and you won’t be able to get it off with just washing. Personally, I would just use topicals the time being and see how it goes. Remember ringworm is transmissible so you might get it but it’s not a big deal. Never a bad idea to inform the shelter where you got them from in case any of the other animals come down with it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have been doing topicals for a good week but instead of getting better or stopping the spread, he lost more fur. Although I don’t know if it’s from the plucking to collect sample or it’s spreading.

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: we got some oral antifungal from the vet (terbinafine) and he is to be on it for the next 3 weeks and we will retest after that. I also have lotrimin that I have been putting on his tail, but I’m scared to put it on now that he on the oral meds. Does anyone know If there are adverse effects if he were to lick the lotrimin while he’s on oral meds or should I just stick with the oral and baths?

Also, I know antifungals can cause issues for the liver, the vet briefly mentioned it but didn’t checked before prescribing the medication, should I be worried about that? Thanks!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would stick with the new prescribed meds. If you want to continue with the lotrimin, ask the vet to be sure that it is okay. You can find various responses to this if you start looking for home remedies for cats websites, but I have read that the use of the OTC human meds does not properly control the ringworm in animals. As for licking it, I am not sure that is a good idea if for no other reason than it increases the dosage of the antifungal.

Liver problems can be related to the use of antifungals. Does your cat have known liver issues as I am guessing that the vet is prescribing it based on the fact that your cat does not?

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would stick with the new prescribed meds. If you want to continue with the lotrimin, ask the vet to be sure that it is okay. You can find various responses to this if you start looking for home remedies for cats websites, but I have read that the use of the OTC human meds does not properly control the ringworm in animals. As for licking it, I am not sure that is a good idea if for no other reason than it increases the dosage of the antifungal.

Liver problems can be related to the use of antifungals. Does your cat have known liver issues as I am guessing that the vet is prescribing it based on the fact that your cat does not?
He’s about 12-14 weeks so as of now I don’t think he has any liver issues. But he was never tested so I can’t say 100% that he doesn’t. The vet also didn’t check for anything, just gave me a call saying the results were positive and she prescribed antifungal that would be mailed to me. So far he’s fine. Eating, pooping and activity levels are all great so I’ll just keep an eye on him. Thanks!

sunny091

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
An oral medication is much better than the topical! Every time I have a foster with just a small spot of ringworm, I’m tempted to treat it just with lotrimin, but more often than not it seems to spread to a different location. The oral med will take care of it. Just make sure to wash/wipe down everything so it’s not transmitted to other animals or your family. And wash your hands!