Ringworm?

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, I am concerned that Oreo may be developing ringworm, but am not 100%.  I have had Oreo since May and she had recently been given a clean bill of health.  I took notice about two weeks ago of a spot on her front leg (under and around her body/leg) that was a little swollen and pinker than normal.  The area looked kind of irritated and felt crusty/raised.  I never see her Itch it and the fur is normal, but it looks odd.  It is going away and even now when I checked it to take a photo it is almost gone.  You are probably asking why then am I asking this question, well I also found some areas on the underside of her back leg.  One is a line that almost looks like she had cut her leg, but it to seems to be healing very fast?  The other spot is more round and the hair is missing from both of these areas!  I have Grey and her two week old kittens along with my six year old in the home so ringworm is a concern to me!  Is there a way I can tell if this is what she has beside the vet?  I am looking at her as I write this and she is licking/chewing the spot on her back leg!!  The leg spots are not reg/raised or irritated looking, just missing fur. 

Sorry the photo is not good, but she was not cooperating with being upside down!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry about what Oreo is dealing with. I am sure you are worried about what it could be. The picture is very blurry. Even so, I really think the best thing would be to take Oreo to the vet. IF it is ringworm, you want to get a diagnosis right away since you have the other kitties. It could also be an allergic reaction to something, food or environmental :dk: Keep us posted on what the vet says... :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

nicolescally

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my kitten has ringworm and it looked like a rough circular area and the hair fell out. you should get to a vet soon as my cats spread it to all the humans in the house 

good luck 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys!  I will be taking Oreo in because not only am I worried about this, but I just saw another worm come out of her behind
  I have treated her several times now for worms so the medication is either not working or for the wrong kind of worms!!!!  I spoke with the vet today and they said because of the baby kittens they want me to bring her in asap. 

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had to take my three fosters in this week to get tested for ringworm. It takes 2 to 3 weeks for results. It's probably tapeworm that she has. It's the only worm not killed by the usual wormers. You need to get Drontal or they have one now that can be put onto the skin like Profender.

Last edited:

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tapeworms are high on the "ick" scale, but not all that bad in the health scheme of things.  The pill that takes care of them is pretty expensive, nearly $20 for one pill, usually.

Ringworm can be treated with anything that for humans is designed for athlete's foot.  A cream that you can rub in completely works well.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify for those that may be confused, ringworm is not a worm, it is a fungal infection, and as stated, can be treated like athlete's foot. When my cats got it (and I got one small lesion too on my neck), we treated it first with cream and shampoo, but that did not work and then an oral medication got rid ot it quite quickly. Anything you see in or on a cat't behind is a real worm, usually round or tapeworms, but threadworms too can be quite a nuisance. Drontal pills kill all of them.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And good luck to anyone trying to get a Drontal down a cat.  If you are in a country where Milbemax is available that's just as effective and far, far smaller.  Unfortunately in the UK it only comes on prescription e.g. from a vet.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And good luck to anyone trying to get a Drontal down a cat.  If you are in a country where Milbemax is available that's just as effective and far, far smaller.  Unfortunately in the UK it only comes on prescription e.g. from a vet.
Never had any trouble with it. :) A little soft butter on the mouth, lick lick, put the pill in and back, a little more butter on the mouth, lick lick, down it goes.

These days there is profender though, a topical.

http://www.bayerdvm.com/products/profender/profender.cfm

Keep us posted on Oreo

Last edited:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in France Drontal are quite small and I have no trouble getting them down my cats. But you can always break a tablet in half if it is big. I treat my two outdoor cats every month in the summer as they hunt all the time. Mind you, my cats are trained to take pills from kittenhood (or from as soon as I got them ) so they are less trouble than some. But I have never met a cat I couldn't pill - I do it at the vet's for people (and the vet!) all the time. Come from behind, taking hte cat by surprise, open its mouth with one hand and drop/shove the pill onto the back of the tongue with the other. Close its mouth quickly and rub it under the chin, blowing on its nose. By now the cat has swallowed the pill. Currently I am putting a fullsize capsule of Cosequin down Dushka daily by this method.

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here in France Drontal are quite small and I have no trouble getting them down my cats. But you can always break a tablet in half if it is big. I treat my two outdoor cats every month in the summer as they hunt all the time. Mind you, my cats are trained to take pills from kittenhood (or from as soon as I got them ) so they are less trouble than some. But I have never met a cat I couldn't pill - I do it at the vet's for people (and the vet!) all the time. Come from behind, taking hte cat by surprise, open its mouth with one hand and drop/shove the pill onto the back of the tongue with the other. Close its mouth quickly and rub it under the chin, blowing on its nose. By now the cat has swallowed the pill. Currently I am putting a fullsize capsule of Cosequin down Dushka daily by this method.
You never met my "Smokey". She was the absolute worse at pilling. She put up such a fuss, nobody in my house would help me for fear of injury. I'm surprised I didn't have my finger amputated

by her chomping down when my finger went in. She literally turned into the Tazmanian devil. :)

And, she always needed Drontal too because of her mousing ways. So, it gave her lots of practice on how to avoid the pill. :/

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet did a skin scrape and is sending it off to be sure, but he said he does not think Oreo has ring worm.  The vet said it looks more like she is licking it raw and that it could be a reaction to the flea control or food reaction.  They have me putting cortisone cream on the spot to see if it helps.  As for the worm they are not sure because what I described did not sound like a Tape worm to them, yet she had been treated for round worms twice already and not been outdoors to be reinfected.  The worm was cream and flat looking, but long (1/2 inch), the vet said tape worm looks like rice (this looked NOTHING like rice).  They have decided to do a topical that treats tape worm (starts with a P?) but they want me to hold off till the kittens are bigger so all the cats can be treated at one time (less chance of recontaminating). 

katjoeus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey Oreocookie,

Just came across this & wondering what the result of the skin scrape was and how your cat is doing now??