Ringworm won't respond to anything

MissGina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3 year old rescue cat was diagnosed with ringworm through vet culture. Oral meds and 3 lime sulfur dips haven't worked. He's getting worse. Covered in crust and scabs from ears to tail but skin beneath does not show red spots or open sores, only dried scab looking things, flakes, ugly dry skin and hair coming out in clumps He's Feline AIDS positive, and was the friendliest cat in the world who now hates being touched. He's started peeing outside his litter box which makes me fear he's in pain and I'm at a loss for how to help him. Docs seem confused too. Any out of the box thoughts?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
RIngworm is nasty and may take some time to fully treat. Aside from oral meds and topical ointments, you may also have to thoroughly clean the house everyday. When my Barley had it I vacuum and bleach the floors daily, as well as wash the beddings much frequent than usual. It was a really tough task and during that time I had other cats - both residents and fosters living with us. So I was afraid it could affect also the others given that we were at a small apartment. Luckily not a single other cat caught it.

Simonalm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How to Help Kittens with Ringworm — Kitten Lady

Ringworm can be a real pain in the butt, idk if you’ve heard of her but Kitten lady has a great article and YouTube video all about getting rid of ringworm that I’ve linked above. This article is specifically talking about kittens, but I would think the same can hold true for adults although of course check with your vet first. I hope this helps

karhopp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
RIngworm is nasty and may take some time to fully treat. Aside from oral meds and topical ointments, you may also have to thoroughly clean the house everyday. When my Barley had it I vacuum and bleach the floors daily, as well as wash the beddings much frequent than usual. It was a really tough task and during that time I had other cats - both residents and fosters living with us. So I was afraid it could affect also the others given that we were at a small apartment. Luckily not a single other cat caught it.
I’ve been going through this for 2 months now and I myself have been infected 3 times. It is a nightmare. It seems to be a very stubborn ringworm because about the time I think they’re over it, they break out with it again. I’m frustrated beyond words. Karla

karhopp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He’s been on 4 weeks of oral and topical. His ears and around his eye cleared up, but then broke out on his nose. His nose looks terrible. I have a collar on him from the vet so he can’t scratch and rub his nose. He is so depressed and miserable in that thing. I’m miserable, too. My poor boy. I am also worn out from mopping, wiping, vacuuming and doing laundry. Trying to keep everything washed daily, blankets, throws, and such. Karla

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a nightmare. It seems to be a very stubborn ringworm because about the time I think they’re over it, they break out with it again. I’m frustrated beyond words.
yes some cases take much longer than the others. Just keep medicating, keep daily cleaning. Hang in there. One of the many things that cats teach us -- patience. :redheartpump:

I’m having the same issue. 4 weeks of topical,shampoo now 1 week of oral. Looks worse
It was also difficult for us when my Barley had it, but it will be over soon. I promise. ;)

karhopp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the encouraging support. It can’t end soon enough. I can’t see my grandkids. They don’t want them at my house with good reason. I don’t , either. Certainly don’t want to take it to their house. They have pets. Karla

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
It may not be an ideal solution, but consider reducing the spaces he's allowed in. You can still provide everything he needs in a smaller space (spare bedrooms are ideal) and it will reduce the chance of reinfection due to a spot that was missed during the cleaning. Smaller spaces = easier to clean completely, but make sure to add additional play time to compensate for the smaller area.
Ringworm is a real pain. Try to wear disposable gloves when interacting with him or applying treatment and try to avoid touching any areas on him where there's no ringworm.
You'll get there! Stay strong!

karhopp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m losing my mind. I have it again for the 3rd time. Doctor won’t give me anymore terbinafine tabs because I’ve been in them twice and it’s hard on liver she said. I’ve got 4 cats so this is a real challenge. Thank you for your response and encouragement. Karla

Jmaclatin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
😭 I’ve been dealing with this since the beginning of November with two rescue kittens. I’m devastated. They’ve been living in my bathroom since diagnosis. My daughter and I both got it and one of my two dogs got it. The kittens are now on their 3rd straight week or Itrafungol and twice weekly baths and I think I found a new lesion on one of them. I’m losing my mind with all the cleaning all the time and I’ve missed out on so much snuggle time with these babies.

karhopp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
😭 I’ve been dealing with this since the beginning of November with two rescue kittens. I’m devastated. They’ve been living in my bathroom since diagnosis. My daughter and I both got it and one of my two dogs got it. The kittens are now on their 3rd straight week or Itrafungol and twice weekly baths and I think I found a new lesion on one of them. I’m losing my mind with all the cleaning all the time and I’ve missed out on so much snuggle time with these babies.

Same here. My nerves and anxiety are shot. All I’m doing is cleaning and washing. It’s a total nightmare. I thought they were well and recovered and let them play together and guess what?! We all broke out again. I’m on my third break out.

karhopp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Same here. My nerves and anxiety are shot. All I’m doing is cleaning and washing. It’s a total nightmare. I thought they were well and recovered and let them play together and guess what?! We all broke out again. I’m on my third break out.