Ringworm Vaccine

harriet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any experience with the ringworm vaccine? I want to show a cat of mine. I usually just place these cats in show homes, but, I want to keep this one.

I am TERRIFYED of bringing ringworm into my cattery of persians. I want to know about the vaccine. Did it work? Can you give it to cats you want to breed? Any horrible side effects?

My vet has never used it before and cannot answer these questions for me.

Any input would be appreciated.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The feedback I have gotten from people is not good. They have said there have been reactions and at best they only say it's 80% effective. You may want to e mail Frannie, shes on the site. She knows of a shampoo or spray you can use to cut any chances of ringworm down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harriet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey Frannie, are you out there? I know you do not wish to receive e-mails from the forum.

What spray do you use? I know you are a cat judge. What do they use at the shows as a preventative?

Thanks.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just found the thread Frannie posted in. It's a tea tree oil shampoo that is an antifungal etc. She said she gets it at the pet store. I am going to have to ask her about something though. I just read the tea tree oil can be fatal to cats. I am sure in that small of a dose it would be okay, but I guess people were using the regular oil to help repell insects such as fleas and it killed a cat. So it has been found to be toxic to them. You may just want to look into a Chlorhexadine or a brand name Hexadine from a vet. It is an anti fungal shampoo that actually keeps working after the cat has been bathed. For shows, I would bathe with it a few days before and then use your normal grooming routine just prior. Then of course after the show I would use it again.

ttapestry1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have not had success with the Ringworm vaccine but did have great success with Program. It is oral and you will notice hair regrowth within a week or so and it takes around a month for it to go away. We only use it rather than any vaccine. Good luck!!!

harriet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ttapestry, at what dose did you give it? My cats are on Program but are only on the regular dose. I heard that you had to double or triple that dose to prevent the ringworm?

Untreated ringworm would normally show improvement within a week anyway at each site. Are you sure the Program is really helping? Were they on Program when they got ringworm?

I am not trying to sound confrontational. I just really need to be sure. I couldn't handle an outbreak of ringworm in my cattery!

Thank you for the info.

ttapestry1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know about the dosage, you will have to call a vet and no, you don't sound confrontational at all. I HATE RINGWORM!!!!!!!!! Several vets recommended it to us for the treatment of ringworm. We have over 150 cats in a 2400 square foot building and an outbreak would be horrindous. It worked so well that even now when we suspect ringworm we treat them, isolate them, and then it is over before you know it!!!!! Sometimes you might have to go for a second dose (after a month if no improvement results) but it is supposed to be the safest and easiest way to treat it!

harriet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Do you administer the Program? If you use the liquid, what colour is the box it comes out of? If you use the pills, what colour is the pill. Or, do you use the injection?

Although the injection is meant to keep them ' flea free ' for 6 months, I've heard the ringworm reappears in a month or so.

I have a very small, closed cattery so there isn't anywhere to isolate, hence the panic about it all!!!

Thank you for allowing me to pick your brains!!!

ttapestry1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is a pretty large brown pill and is in a white package with orange and blue writing. No, problem. Let me know if this helps!

harriet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like it is the 400 mg. pill. Boy, you must be good to get that down your cat's throat!!

It will say 400 mg on the package. If your cats are under 10 lbs. thats four times the regular dose. That is what I heard, you have to triple or quadruple the dose for ringworm.

Can you check and see if I am right? How big are your cats?

Thanks so much.

frannie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry that I haven't been on for a while but it's been nuts around here doing some greyhound adoptions. The shampoo I use is all natural, from Austrailia and completely organic and is's completely safe. It's called (wait let me go get the proper spelling) Mela Miracle and comes in a black bottle. I also use the Pet Lusteririzer Coinditioner Spray at the shows. The oil they use is Melaleuca Alternifolia (getting that directly from the conditioner bottle). It also helps with fleas but we don't have any here where I live. I get it at PetsMart or you can order it from Fosters and Smith. If need be, I can get it for you and ship it to you. Hope this helps.

Frannie

ttapestry1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I remember it being a pretty big pill. You'll have to call a vet to see what the proper dosage is. The only reason I know about it is when I volunteered at a shelter we used it frequently. They can tell you how to use it. I don't have the info at home with me to give it to you although for every weight it is different. Good luck! The key to giving a pill is dipping it in vegetable oil first!!! That way is just slides down their throat, no problem!!!

harriet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Ttapestry1. I will investigate it further. It's good to know it really works.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Loki was on the program for ringworm, which he brought home from the cattery. I gave him a one time dose, liquid in the food- he gobbled it right up, which took care of it no, problem. Anything is better than a pill. Best to you and your babies.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The jury is still out on the program for ringworm as far as the AVMA are concerned. But for those who use it, for an active case of ringworm you are supposed to use double your normal dose. For an inactive case, meaning it has shown a negative culture for more than 14 days they say to use the recomended dose. Under those conditions I would assume the regular dose would prevent the ringworm along with a good anti fungal shampoo after a show.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Our vet only gives topical anti-fungal ointments. This almost always helps. Only once have I had a cat (a stray that we later homed) need oral medication for ringworm. I was wondering if you're talking about severe cases here. We don't use anything for prevention either. I am just a little bit worried because I heard ringworm can be dangerous to human babies and our cats have the occasional patch once every few months.

ttapestry1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have used Fulvicin in the past (oral)which causes diarrhea and when the anitfungals are used, they lick some of it off. We have found that Program has worked well for us. You can use it as preventative but we use it after it is spotted. In two weeks, you see new hair growth. It just seems easier and more reliable. Our two vets recommended it although it hasn't been proven as of yet to kill it. It does work!!!

harriet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also found Fulvicin ( Griseofulvin) to have a hard effect on the cats. I used my cats for breeding so I do not want to give them any ' hard drugs.' Somewhere, I read that griseofulvin is carcenogentic ( sp?) ( causes cancer ).

A long time ago, I rescued some white persians that were covered in ringworm. My vet put them on Fulvicin. The ringworm kept reappearing regardless of how I scrubbed the area. Both of those cats died at age 3. I always suspected it was those drugs.

I have said this before, but it bears repeating. A wonderful old vet told me once that," I've never seen a cat die from ringworm. But, I have seen many of them die from the cures!! " I try to remember these words.

I am going to use the Program to act as a preventative. I like the idea that it has no real effect on a mammal's system. I have given it to a pregnant cat before with no ill effects!

amanda

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a little knowledge of ringworm. My youngest critter when he was a babe had real bad ringworm, to the point where I had to have him completely shaved.....it took months to clear up before we resorted to that. Luckily my other cat did not get it but I did.

I have absolutly no idea and have never even heard of the vaccine! Just thought I would share my ringworm experience with you all