Ringworm Outbreak - Treating Senior Cat

SandraToth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After fostering/adopting a new senior cat, our 2-year-old FIV+ cat developed ringworm. He was on Itraconazole and it seemed to be clearing up. Next was the 6-year-old and then our other senior cat. So, 2 of 4 have confirmed ringworm and very suspicious of the FIV+ guy that was already treated. The 4th is going to the vet Monday for an exam. I did not quarantine because of the stress (he freaks out in a closed room or cage) and by the time we had a confirmation on ringworm, it was probably too late anyway. Needless to say, it is has spread, even though I was cleaning and washing bedding, changing bowls, etc.

I'm afraid that the only way out of this is to put them all on oral meds (itraconazole) in addition to lime sulfur dips and topical meds. But I am super worried about using this medication on the 16-year-old - she has a grade 3 heart murmur and early onset kidney disease.

Does anyone have any experience with treating a senior cat with itraconazole?

Thank you!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you were to use Griseofulvin instead of the itraconazole, on the 16 year old only, that might be an answer. It is less likely to effect the heart and/or kidneys. But it wouldn't be good for the FIV cat according to this website: Griseofulvin for companion animals and horses: Uses, Dosage & Side Effects, which is a trusted online pharmacy by many here who use it for their compounded meds.

What has your Vet said about this? Do they think the dips and topicals would be good enough?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SandraToth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you were to use Griseofulvin instead of the itraconazole, on the 16 year old only, that might be an answer. It is less likely to effect the heart and/or kidneys. But it wouldn't be good for the FIV cat according to this website: Griseofulvin for companion animals and horses: Uses, Dosage & Side Effects, which is a trusted online pharmacy by many here who use it for their compounded meds.

What has your Vet said about this? Do they think the dips and topicals would be good enough?
Thank you! I did read up on Griseofulvin and it didn't really sound like it would be any safer for cats. At her age, I am just being super cautious. I think it's hard to say whether the dips and topicals would be enough, but she's willing to try it for another couple of weeks and then make a decision. The problem is with at least 1 other cat with RW and another probable, they could all just keep passing it amongst each other. But I'm probably going to stick with topical for now - I started using a medicated shampoo on her ears and the lime sulfur on the rest of her body, so I'm praying that might be more effective.