Ringworm, mange? Best guesses on this stray kitten? (Pictures included)

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just from the pictures I would tend to think its some kind of injury rather than an infection. I saw some pictures of a cat that had gotten glue all over it and the bare spots were specific to where the glue was. There are all kinds of things that can cause chemical like burns, strong bleach is one that comes to mind. Diesel fuel can cause hair loss also. I have seen a horse that had it spilled/sloshed on it and it lost patches of hair in those areas. Infections are usually very splotchy whereas damage to an entire area is usually from an agent of some kind. I don't know if gasoline can cause that reaction in cats but even that is a possibility. It's likely going to need some kind of ointment to help the raw skin to heal up. Another thought/ possibility, hot oil can do that and maybe scalding water.

So this is a little hard to look at, but thank you google --- hot water scalding of cats---

hot water scalding in cat - Google Search

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
It’s about 4 AM here, just got home. One of the stable kittens quickly went down hill about an hour after dropping him off with his foster, so I had to go back to get him and take him to the ER in the city...

Good news is that all the rescues for today (well, yesterday) are stable now! Even the fawn for the most part!

I kept in contact with this kitten’s finder the whole time. I convinced her to bring the kitten into her laundry room for the night, to ensure she’s still there tomorrow and to get her out of the cold.

I can’t get this kitten off my mind, so I just said “screw it, I’ll take her to the vet and figure things out from there.” I think my poor boyfriend is really regretting allowing puppies and kittens into our rescue work this year, but he’s being a real trooper! :lol:

Anyway, I’m currently requesting a rescue sponsor and/or donor backing for vet expenses for her, and a back up foster just in case, so hopefully the group will pull through. The rescues involved in our group usually only sponsor medical cases, so I’m hopeful we’ll get her placed.

Another kitten from the construction site was also trapped tonight. He appears healthy and uninjured, so I’ll be picking him up, fostering him, and taming/socializing for adoption.

His trapper gave him a bath tonight to get rid of the fleas -

9DCCB542-5A7C-49F9-9E62-B0F51AB960CE.jpeg

3F00EEDE-F927-49DA-9BE6-CF68B857E388.jpeg

I think he’ll fit right in with our other two black little boys! :D

After we pick that little guy up, we’ll be going a couple towns over to pick up this little girl. Then allllll the way back home and straight to the vet. Looks like another multi-city, multi-animal rescue tomorrow!

As for this little kitty, I asked two vet tech friends what they thought, and I specifically asked about pyometra. She seems a little young and I’ve never seen grooming that extensive for pyo but thought I’d ask. Both thought it could be a distinct possibility. They were both leaning toward anything causing excessive grooming at this point.

Although her finder later described the amount of blood as “puddles”... can excessive grooming really cause that much vaginal bleeding? And without seemingly any irritation to the anus???

The techs (who do not know each other whatsoever and both work in rescue) assured me that despite how absolutely horrified “puddles” made me, that because she is still eating, drinking, going to the bathroom normally, and acting very alert and chipper, and is also now safely inside, that it wasn’t an emergency, only urgent.

I hope they’re right. Had it not been for my construction site kittens, I’d have picked her up right then and there :(

Last edited:

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Just from the pictures I would tend to think its some kind of injury rather than an infection. I saw some pictures of a cat that had gotten glue all over it and the bare spots were specific to where the glue was. There are all kinds of things that can cause chemical like burns, strong bleach is one that comes to mind. Diesel fuel can cause hair loss also. I have seen a horse that had it spilled/sloshed on it and it lost patches of hair in those areas. Infections are usually very splotchy whereas damage to an entire area is usually from an agent of some kind. I don't know if gasoline can cause that reaction in cats but even that is a possibility. It's likely going to need some kind of ointment to help the raw skin to heal up. Another thought/ possibility, hot oil can do that and maybe scalding water.

So this is a little hard to look at, but thank you google --- hot water scalding of cats---

hot water scalding in cat - Google Search
I did find the uniform pattern a little odd. We’ll see what the vet says tomorrow.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry everyone, will update more later but need a quick answer -

Kitten is covered in motor oil and the vet also told us to use shampoo with anti-fungal type properties, and whatever might work for parasites too. (Been a long day, words are not my strong suit right now, I apologize e). I asked for a recommendation or brand, and he just repeated himself (“look for these properties” - no further elaboration :mad:).

Any idea what I can pick up locally that will take care of oil and had whatever properties he’s wanting me to look for that is also safe for cats?

On hand, I have -

Blue dawn

Magic Cat tearless (Keratin and Lanolin, citrus scent :/ )

Earthbath 2-in-1 conditioning cat shampoo (Wild cherry)

Could have sworn I had some sort of Earthbath unscented but I can’t find it - will keep looking)

Anything else I should look for at the store? Walmart or Tractor Supply are all we really have (or HEB for any of you other Texans)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry everyone, will update more later but need a quick answer -

Kitten is covered in motor oil and the vet also told us to use shampoo with anti-fungal type properties, and whatever might work for parasites too. (Been a long day, words are not my strong suit right now, I apologize e). I asked for a recommendation or brand, and he just repeated himself (“look for these properties” - no further elaboration :mad:).

Any idea what I can pick up locally that will take care of oil and had whatever properties he’s wanting me to look for that is also safe for cats?

On hand, I have -

Blue dawn

Magic Cat tearless (Keratin and Lanolin, citrus scent :/ )

Earthbath 2-in-1 conditioning cat shampoo (Wild cherry)

Could have sworn I had some sort of Earthbath unscented but I can’t find it - will keep looking)

Anything else I should look for at the store? Walmart or Tractor Supply are all we really have (or HEB for any of you other Texans)

Wow, poor little guy. Dawn (orginal scent), is used to safely get oil off of wild animals who have been the victims of oil spills. It will work on oily cats too. :)

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor, poor little baby girl 😢! I only hope she’s not in too much pain! It makes me sad to see a kitten suffering like this. Thanks to any and all those who help suffering animals whether they’re domestic or wild 🙏🏻💕

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Dish soap works well. It probably won't all come off in the first bath so after you've dried her off rub a handful of baking flour into her fur to soak up any that's left. This will wash off easier when you bathe her a second time.

I also used cotton wool balls soaked in hypoallergenic eye make-up remover around the eyes, nose and ears on one of my rescues.

Glad to hear she's safe now.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would go for oil removal first as that is the main cause of the problem. I used dawn dish soap unscented when Homer got soaked with transmission fluid. It took like six rinse and repeats before the lather was no longer pink. I would do yours maybe 2 or 3 or even 4 times. Body temp running water rinse. After the oil is removed the other stuff is a preventative to keep the skin from picking up something like a fungus. I would let the cat dry for a half day or a day and then apply an anti fungal. But I could be wrong on that. Go by the instructions. The idea is that the soap will remove not just the motor oil but all the natural skin oils as well. Those will take a day to come back. Once that is restored the skin will get back some of it's natural protection and not be so dry so the other stuff won't irritate it worse than it is. The good thing is that motor oil itself is not poisonous. It's kind of like mineral oil in that way. The bad thing is the additives that are put in it are very irritating to skin. That is where the problem comes from.

Wow, you have a Walmart nearby!! The closest one for me is 95 miles away.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!

I work in wildlife, and we really don’t use dawn hardly at all. Only for oil so bad that it creates a visible layer/film... like really, really thick. And that’s basically just because of how harsh dish soap is, even just a drop of it - it’s reserved for more extreme oil situations.

So I hesitate to put it on a kitten with a bit of oil on her. Moreover, a kitten already dealing with skin issues so bad that her skin is cracked and bleeding :(

I don’t know what a good alternative would be though. I don’t think she’s fit for multiple baths because of the condition of her skin.

I’m also not sure about the baking powder for similar reasons with how delicate her skin is, either :( it seems like it would dry it out further.

Kind of complicated trying to remove oil from fur without removing it from skin! Ugh!

I like the idea of makeup remover. What about a mild micellar water? I use one that’s the least sudsy and most gentle I could find out of a lot of brands (because I have dry skin myself so I try not to strip it). I could always gently follow that by rinsing with a wet cloth.

So... maybe half a drop - drop of dawn bath, micellar water, then cloth rinse?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I’m also not sure about the baking powder for similar reasons with how delicate her skin is, either
Not baking powder, just plain flour. It will soak up any remaining oil so she won't spread it further over her body. That way you'll only have to deal with washing the areas that already have oil on them.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If it is that bad but not much oil then just use baby shampoo. As far as skin treatment there is this stuff that is called "Bag Balm". It is made for cows udders when they get raw all the washing and stuff. People discovered it works really good for them so many do use it. I looked it up for cats and here is a comment on it.
Can bag balm be supplied to cats? - Quora
Some are cautious about using it on cats because it is designed for bigger animals.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Not baking powder, just plain flour. It will soak up any remaining oil so she won't spread it further over her body. That way you'll only have to deal with washing the areas that already have oil on them.
Sorry, I meant baking flour! Like I said, my brain is fried for the day :lol:

I just fear her skin cracking even more and her becoming further susceptible to infection (and general pain and discomfort). :(

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
If it is that bad but not much oil then just use baby shampoo. As far as skin treatment there is this stuff that is called "Bag Balm". It is made for cows udders when they get raw all the washing and stuff. People discovered it works really good for them so many do use it. I looked it up for cats and here is a comment on it.
Can bag balm be supplied to cats? - Quora
Some are cautious about using it on cats because it is designed for bigger animals.
Thanks! We use something like that at work for our livestock rescues but it’s a different brand... can’t thjnk of the name. Definitely something to bring up to the vet!

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, now for a more proper update -

Unfortunately, we did not really find out much of anything at all about what’s going on with this kitten.

They searched for fleas and couldn’t find a single one. They took several skin scrapes and everything was negative. Took bloodwork and WBC was high, but nothing else of note according to him (I asked for a copy on the way out but haven’t had a chance to review it myself yet).

It could still basically be anything at this point. Fungal, ectoparasitic, vaginitis, pyo... we don’t know.

Apologies in advance for such a disjointed comment. It’s been a long day and my brain has already checked out.

Okay, we used about half a drop of dawn. She is now in an open carrier in the bathroom with a snuggle safe.

Our post-bath little rat cat -

219D1373-9A50-42A8-BE02-40FE25A242C5.jpeg

We have her quarantined in the bathroom. I put down a white shower curtain to better see if she starts bleeding again, whether from her skin or genitals. Like the vet, I also did not find fleas upon inspection, but thanks to my trusty white “medical shower curtain”, I have already found two. Not sure if that will potentially help lead to answers later, but it might!

4EB11797-F4F2-4B0A-B3AA-2DA2B2B30350.jpeg

Vaccinations and obviously a spay will have to wait for the time being.

She’s a bit emaciated and underweight, but she ate a full 3oz can of food when we got home, and she’ll be able to free feed on Dr. Elsey’s kibble, so hopefully that will help stop any further muscle wasting. She’s very, very boney :(

The Finder told us when we picked her up that she had fully liquid diarrhea, so she’s been dewormed, will receive a dose of Revolution before bed, is on prebiotics, probiotics, and digestive enzymes, and we’re waiting to collect a stool sample from her to take to the vet tomorrow.

As far as any official treatment, she is on Clavimox.

I asked the vet where we go from here - how do we definitively find out what’s wrong, and what course of treatment do we need? He basically just said we have to wait and see, but that doesn’t seem right to me. Anyone have any ideas here? Should I seek out a second opinion?

Last edited:

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Whoops. I left a whole chunk of important stuff out. My bad!

This is the blood the Finder was talking about, and what concerns me most. We placed a quarter next to it as a size reference (and keep in mind, this is only a ~6 month old kitten!). And we did show the vet these pictures today.

F9EEFC23-8185-4D54-A53B-F373C3226403.jpeg

4964B4B9-C7A7-4E6B-A827-2814B782A7B7.jpeg

There were MANY of these exact same spots all along the finder’s driveway and sidewalk. They tried to clean up most of them, but you could still see the blood stains. The ones in the photos were those they had yet to clean.

I have no idea what would cause such profuse vaginal bleeding..? I would think Pyometra would not be so dark and more... “milky”, and I cannot fathom this much blood coming from excessive grooming alone...

Any ideas?

The “sit and wait” approach just does not feel right to me on this one...

Last edited:

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Some pictures to show off what a sweet little girl she is -

A57E6C35-3045-4A0D-BC0B-078E885C3B3A.jpeg

206C5172-4805-467D-A751-496FD46F6A1C.jpeg

E08DA9DD-2317-4032-9082-76FCF5C488FF.jpeg

DE9F312B-8BAD-4C5C-99AB-0B27E1E2040F.jpeg

She was a good little helper at the vet today!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, she's such a sweet heart! I don't have any ideas, the fact that she is so loving and active suggests to me that she's not in any great pain. She's indoors now and has access to plenty of food and water, which hopefully means she's out of immediate danger. You haven't noticed any further bleeding since she's been with you? Is there any chance she could have been pregnant and miscarried?

I really don't know. I think if I were you I'd wait and see unless there were any changes to her condition or demeanor.

Thanks for everything you've done for her.

:rock::thanks:

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, she's such a sweet heart! I don't have any ideas, the fact that she is so loving and active suggests to me that she's not in any great pain. She's indoors now and has access to plenty of food and water, which hopefully means she's out of immediate danger. You haven't noticed any further bleeding since she's been with you? Is there any chance she could have been pregnant and miscarried?

I really don't know. I think if I were you I'd wait and see unless there were any changes to her condition or demeanor.

Thanks for everything you've done for her.

:rock::thanks:
You know, I never considered a miscarriage. Most of the time the animals I’m around are already fixed, will be fixed shortly after meeting me, or are too young to be fixed yet. I have had one dog miscarry before, but I really have no idea the ways it can present in a cat. I think I’ll put that on the list of things to ask the vet.

And yes, she is SO sweet and calm. Always shoving her head into anyone’s hand who will let her. She isn’t phased whatsoever with new people approaching her, or even at the vet for one moment. Makes you wonder who socialized her so we’ll only to abandon her :(

And yes, her disposition has been another monkey wrench through this whole thing. She acts none the worse for wear.

I just really thought we’d have had more (well, any) answers...

As a side note, two of our original foster kittens are black, so we went with Halloween themed names for them - Salem (Sabrina the Teenage Witch) and Binx (Hocus Pocus).

This little girl is black, as well as the healthy construction site kitten we picked up at the same time as her.

So we’re working on names for them both to go with the “darker”/spooky theme. So far for her we’ve put Elvira and Wednesday on the list for the little girl. If anyone has any suggestions for names (for either), we’d love to hear them!

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
This is the construction site kitten. He’s taken quite a liking to my boyfriend.

2CFE48CB-FED8-42FC-BBF7-B635896EB8DA.jpeg

And the feeling is mutual. Definitely stealing my boyfriend’s heart.

333638B9-EC5E-47AD-8B88-02FF064BD20E.jpeg

Clearly I have some competition :lol:

........We were told he was feral 🤣