Ringworm, mange? Best guesses on this stray kitten? (Pictures included)

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
5E2CCB43-F043-428D-894D-6F8F83AA529D.jpeg

D87D1A3F-AA76-4590-A3BD-80DFF9C61311.jpeg

This was posted to a private Facebook group of local citizen rescuers. This kitten hasn’t had anyone step up to help in almost 24 hours.

I have a full house but am trying to determine if I can take him in. I have 16 special needs, seniors, and kittens right now, so immune systems are compromised and I need to be careful as to what I bring in.

I already publicly pledged $50 to this kittens care and offered to foster depending on what is wrong, but like I said, the finder has still received no further help from rescues or rescuers.

I am about to travel an hour and a half out to pick up and transport a hypothermic fawn, and after that i’m going an hour in the exact opposite direction to pick up three injured kittens at a construction site - those kittens just happen to be nearby this other kitten, so I’m debating whether I should pick him up too while I’m there.

Any ideas what all this might be and what I need to consider?

Finder said kitten is eating and drinking well and in good spirits. Aside from the fur loss, he has cracked heels that are bleeding that you can kind of see in the photo. That’s all the information I have as to what might be going on though.

Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
This kitten is in San Antonio. I’m about an hour outside of SA.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Mange usually is on the head or face. I don't know if this is some kind of skin ulcer or the effect from parasites. Thank you so much for caring about this little one and wanting to help him/her.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Mange usually is on the head or face. I don't know if this is some kind of skin ulcer or the effect from parasites. Thank you so much for caring about this little one and wanting to help him/her.
That was my thinking too about the mange.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
I know this might sound farfetched given that he shows no signs of an injury, but could he have been the victim of a trap?
Hm. It’s the city center, but I guess anything’s possible. Are you thinking like a leg-hold?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are different types of mange, e.g. different mites. And some mange can be generalized, meaning it can also affect limbs and torso, etc. (versus localized, or occurring in just one area of the body, like only the ears, head or neck). Also, a cat could have a few different types of mite infestations going on at one time, plus fungal issues, plus lowered immunity.
:alright:

This link talks about a few types of mange, for example, scabies versus demodicosis.
Taking the Bite out of Feline Mites | Today's Veterinary Nurse

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 310312

View attachment 310313

This was posted to a private Facebook group of local citizen rescuers. This kitten hasn’t had anyone step up to help in almost 24 hours.

I have a full house but am trying to determine if I can take him in. I have 16 special needs, seniors, and kittens right now, so immune systems are compromised and I need to be careful as to what I bring in.

I already publicly pledged $50 to this kittens care and offered to foster depending on what is wrong, but like I said, the finder has still received no further help from rescues or rescuers.

I am about to travel an hour and a half out to pick up and transport a hypothermic fawn, and after that i’m going an hour in the exact opposite direction to pick up three injured kittens at a construction site - those kittens just happen to be nearby this other kitten, so I’m debating whether I should pick him up too while I’m there.

Finder said kitten is eating and drinking well and in good spirits. Aside from the fur loss, he has cracked heels that are bleeding that you can kind of see in the photo. That’s all the information I have as to what might be going on though.

Thank you!
If you live near houston,I have friends who may be able to help

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Hm. It’s the city center, but I guess anything’s possible. Are you thinking like a leg-hold?

If I had to guess I would definitely say it was stress due to parasites. It could be ringworm, but that too usually is found on the head, front legs, or face, and it is scaly looking.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
The finder tried to get more pictures for me, but it’s dark and apparently the kitten was being too much of a wiggle worm.

However, she said upon further inspection the kitten appears to have some vaginal bleeding. She felt confident it wasn’t rectal bleeding when I asked.

Hard to tell the kitten’s age from the photos... could she possibly just be in heat?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
The finder tried to get more pictures for me, but it’s dark and apparently the kitten was being too much of a wiggle worm.

However, she said upon further inspection the kitten appears to have some vaginal bleeding. She felt confident it wasn’t rectal bleeding when I asked.

Hard to tell the kitten’s age from the photos... could she possibly just be in heat?

Unlike dogs, the female cat does not bleed when in heat. I think she is injured.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, so then does this seem more like a potential injury than any kind of infection?

I’m trying to wrack my brain with possibilities but all my reference books are at home and I’m soo distracted by my current rescues right now. I have a distinct feeling I’m forgetting some things, like a “tip of the tongue” sort of feeling if that makes sense.

I’ve connected the finder with another group. One of the construction kitties needed emergency surgery, the other two are being looked over and wounds are being assessed and dressed now.

I won’t be able to take this kitten tonight but I’ll come back tomorrow if necessary to get her, and I’ll keep her on my radar either way.

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so then does this seem more like a potential injury than any kind of infection?

I’m trying to wrack my brain with possibilities but all my reference books are at home and I’m soo distracted by my current rescues right now. I have a distinct feeling I’m forgetting some things, like a “tip of the tongue” sort of feeling if that makes sense.

I’ve connected the finder with another group. One if the construction kitties needed emergency surgery, the other two are being looked over and wounds are being assessed and dressed now.

I won’t be able to take this kitten tonight but I’ll come back tomorrow if necessary to get her, and I’ll keep her on my radar either way.

I would have no idea but a parasite infection would not explain vaginal bleeding.

Yes, please keep us updated on her condition and thank you again for helping her.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 310312

View attachment 310313

Thank you!
Wow! I am speechless! You are one of a kind! My kind of hero!

Poor kitty :( It is bleeding real bad. :(
jefferd18 jefferd18 could be right. It must have been a victim of trapping.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Poor little girl! I wonder if this could be a combination of an infection causing the bleeding and over grooming because the infection is making her feel uncomfortable?

We're all just speculating of course, I hope you can get her to a vet tomorrow moxiewild moxiewild Good luck, please keep us posted.

:rock: