Ringworm Help Needed

Trysko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got a kitten from a rescue who was supposed to be free of ringworm; however, it came back. She’s had run of the apartment for just over a week before I saw it on her nose. She was quarantined right away in the bathroom. Saw the vet a couple days later, who put her on oral medication. I was giving her a medicated bath even before and turned to a sulfur bath, which she’s had 4. Also topical. I’ve cleaned and disinfected my entire place. My question is do I have to also clean the walls and ceiling’s in every room still? How many times do I clean the rooms she was in, but no longer since she’s quarantined? How about the quarantine room? I’ve been cleaning that room every 5 days. She still has another 2 weeks of quarantine. I’m nervous to even let her out as I cannot go through this again if she becomes reinfected. I want to do everything right the first time as I feel awful for her and myself. This is my first time dealing with ringworm and it’s really emotionally and physically exhausting. Maybe I’m thinking and reading into this too much. Any help is greatly appreciated!

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! My kitten also has ringworm, we didn’t find out till 3 weeks after ( we fostered for 3 weeks before adopting). He’s currently isolated in a room alone and has been on a week of oral meds ( terbinafine) and twice weekly antifungal shampoo and so far his fur is already starting to grow back. Since we couldn’t get into a vet till about a week later, I started bathing a week before. So far my routine is daily oral meds and antifungal wipes ( 2% chlorhexidine and miconazole) to wipe off the scales that form and vacuum daily, twice weekly shampooing and while he dries, I deep clean the whole room. I spray accelerated hydrogen peroxide on everything I can and let it sit for 10 mins before I wipe and wash all bedding with diluted bleach a couple times a week. As for the whole house, I initially used diluted bleach, mopped, wiped and washed anything he had touched. Now I just do a deep clean on the floor once a week. I do have a free roam rabbit so I’m extremely careful not to touch him if I was in the room with the kitten. I change clothes and wash my hands right after if I’ve been petting. So far I’ve gotten one lesion but it doesn’t itch and I just put antifungal cream on it, it’s basically gone now. I know this may seem extreme but I like to be careful. Overall after the kitten has a stronger immune system, they tend to recover just fine. Just diligent with gloves and washing hands if you have other pets!

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I don’t think it’s 100% possible to get rid of the spores in the house. but you want it so that there isn’t enough spores to cause an reinfection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Trysko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response. This is week two and she’s got some black crust on the sides of her nose, but getting better from a week ago. I deep clean the bathroom every 4 to 5 days. Wash blankets every other day and my clothes I leave in there after I’ve entered every night. Once I’m done deep cleaning it’s sulfur bath time for her. When are you able to let your kitten out? My vet said 3 weeks from when she started her oral medication.
When you deep cleaned the house, did you have to clean the entire walls? I did about 4 inches up, but if I need to go all the way up tp the ceiling, I’d like to know so I can get back at it again. I have vacuumed almost daily for the past week and shampooed the carpets adding some rubbing alcohol to the water in shampooer as well as spraying some disinfectant on the carpet and furniture. I have wiped and disinfected just about everything. Is this enough or do o need to do it again before her release in two weeks? I’ve also put a lot of items including my vacuum out on the deck to soak up the sun even after disinfectanting the can of the vacuum. I might be going overboard, but don’t want her reinfected.

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet didn’t say anything, only that he will get retested after the 3 weeks and see if he comes back negative. On the side of caution, I will most likely stop oral (if negative) and keep him on shampoo and wipes for a couple more week. I would like to see atleast 2 (maybe 3) negatives before I think about letting him out, one after stopping oral, and one last one after I stop shampoo and wipes. It takes about 3 weeks for new lesions to appear so I’ll most likely wait that long and retest again. This is on the extreme side but like you, I don’t want to do this again! As for the walls, I do take some diluted bleach and wipes As far I could reach on my deep cleaning days, as well as areas that he is most likely to touch, just his room, not the whole house.
Theres a huge thread started by bunnelina about her experience with ringworm and many members contributed to it, explaining theirs too. You should definitely give that a read. I’m still only a quarter in but I have found so much info on it.

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also here is a link I also read about ringworm research done by Dr. Moriello. I found it be very helpful and explains what works and what doesn’t.
Error - Cookies Turned Off

I had to ask my vet and actually change the dosage of the oral meds since having him on it.

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If link doesn’t work, this is the title.
Diagnosis and treatment of dermatophytosis in dogs and cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Trysko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!!

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep us updated! Hopefully we both only have to experience it once ;)