Ringworm, flea allergy, or hotspot??

Ninka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. My calico is 7 and years ago she used to get tiny bald patches that would be around a quarter size and with no scab, heal within a week. Well lately she had a bigger one and I took her to the vet, I had extra money that week. He administered flea meds and stuff and it went away. Well it’s been exactly 1 month and it’s back in a different spot but looks different and has grown much bigger! I have a UV light coming in the mail tomorrow to check for ringworm and I will get a flea collar otw home from work. Opinions?? What product should I buy if it’s ringworm? The difference in these photos is like a week or 6 days!!! It’s gotten so big !
IMG_5137.jpeg
IMG_5161.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Can you get another dose of the flea meds from your vet and apply them to her? I doubt that is what this is related to though. I wouldn't put a flea collar on her, most are not very effective, and some can actually make matters worse.

Can you also send these pics to your vet and ask what they think it might be? Ringworm typically spreads beyond just one location, so I wonder about randomly treating it as if it is ringworm - and the Wood's lamps don't always detect ringworm either.
Pictures of Skin Problems in Cats (webmd.com)

If you don't have the money, see if one of the ideas in this article might help financially. I really think a vet should take a look at that spot, especially since it is growing like that.
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life - TheCatSite

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Until you get her vet checked, you can ask your vet if it's okay to try chamomile tea and/or coconut oil. Both are listed safe for cats if ingested and anecdotal evidence point s to being comforting and even healing in some situations.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ninka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Can you get another dose of the flea meds from your vet and apply them to her? I doubt that is what this is related to though. I wouldn't put a flea collar on her, most are not very effective, and some can actually make matters worse.

Can you also send these pics to your vet and ask what they think it might be? Ringworm typically spreads beyond just one location, so I wonder about randomly treating it as if it is ringworm - and the Wood's lamps don't always detect ringworm either.
Pictures of Skin Problems in Cats (webmd.com)

If you don't have the money, see if one of the ideas in this article might help financially. I really think a vet should take a look at that spot, especially since it is growing like that.
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life - TheCatSite
The article you linked has me thinking this is a food allergy. I recently switched her food so I think that’s what is going on. I’m going to switch back and use coconut oil on her like the other commenter suggested. Thank you so much!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ninka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Until you get her vet checked, you can ask your vet if it's okay to try chamomile tea and/or coconut oil. Both are listed safe for cats if ingested and anecdotal evidence point s to being comforting and even healing in some situations.
Thank you, I will try that