Ringworm - encouragement needed please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so glad that you are getting some good help finally!
Me too. I've felt giddy with relief all day long. It's like finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel!

Itrafungol, at last!!!

Itrafungol has to be administered on an empty stomach, I forgot to add this bit of info for you. Your vet is right.
I would give it to my cats about 20 minutes before their breakfast in the morning. Even 30 minutes if I had enough spare time.
Straight in the mouth, so not to waste any single drop of it.
I know right, finally! I felt a huge weight being lifted when she said ok this is what we'll do.
She did mention that about empty stomach. She said if he spits it out or similar we can mix it with the smallest possible amount of wet food.

I'm still scaling him down to 2 meals. When I caught him for the wound and surgery and all that he was really underweight so he was getting 3 full meals per day plus some kibble, considering also the worms and that he needed nutrients to be able to fight. Now that the worms have cleared and he's getting better, and his weight is in normal range, I've gone down to two meals (wet) per day as for my other cat. He does get a bit of kibble in between though to slowly get him to two meals without stressing him.

I've given him his first dose of itrafungol tonight into his mouth. I had to purrito him to keep him still but he didn't protest too much and didn't spit any out :)
I've only managed to get one or two of the eardrops in each ear tonight but he's had a stressful day so I'm not insisting on three today. He needs to relax a bit after all that.

Oh and he is now free of the cone. He's very happy about that 🐱 I stayed with him for hours after taking it off. Just standard kitty grooming has happened. Nothing obsessive or licking at lesions. Just normal grooming. :)

Last edited:

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nothing new today but I don't want to just post when it's bad so here they are today. Charly has decided to sleep in between us tonight (a rare occurence.. he's more of a flop down on your legs, close but not too close kinda cuddler) and Yoda (cone free baby Yoda :redheartpump: is playing with the catit ball track thing non stop (plastic so easy to clean.. have substituted all his toys for old or very inexpensive ones that will be thrown out regularly as we go and plastic that can be cleaned).

Anyways all is good today. The baby gate is up as well now so coneless Yoda doesn't get too tempted to door dash :flail:

Attachments

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First week of treatment done. The "OG" lesion looks better and the ones on the ear and nose don't seem to be getting bigger anymore.
Yoda is getting increasingly frustrated with being locked up though. Him and Charly have seen each other a few times and besides a couple small hisses from Charly all seemed to go well.

Now Yoda meows and cries when I leave the room. He also cries when he hears me in the living room. I try to spend as much time as I can in there while keeping a full time job (an hour in the morning and an hour or two in the evening during the week).

He's got lots of toys, scratchers, a catit ball track. What else can I do to help him feel better in there?

I have been thinking of trying to alternate where I sleep. One night in the bed in the living room with Charly, one on the couch in with Yoda. Thoughts?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How much longer does he have in confinement? If you can, sleeping with him will help you get one night's sleep, but he will probably expect it the next night.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure, the vet said usually it's at least two cycles (so two more weeks) until they aren't contagious.

I'm starting to consider taking the risk of Charly getting it too because I can see that the prolonged isolation is starting to really not be good for him mentally..

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im going to plug in another feliway for him today (the classic) and see if it helps a bit. I'm sure he is very lonely more than anything else, so it might not help much, but it might reduce the stress he feels overall. I'm also putting him back on zylkene for a bit.

I bought another dog gate from FB marketplace yesterday, the one we have is "extra tall", 1m, but Yoda jumps it. So I will put up the second one on top today so I can leave the door open a bit more, but I worry they will still get into paw play and general Yoda pawing at Charly which exposes him more..

I spoke to the vet yesterday and she says she wants to see him after the third week (so the second cycle). In the "off" week basically in about two weeks now. To see if he needs the third cycle and how contagious he seems to still be. Fingers crossed!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry...we should have mentioned the wisdom of two gates, one on top of the other, way back when!

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry...we should have mentioned the wisdom of two gates, one on top of the other, way back when!
I'm pretty sure someone did, maybe it was even you?
I just thought I was smart getting a dog gate which is quite a bit higher than baby gates. Well that didn't work out did it :lol:

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's the new setup lol. It sure looks like a prison now but what can ya do. We tried playing in their rooms separately as there was two of us today, but they kept getting so distracted and much more curious about each other than their toys..

Attachments

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess it depends how you define a bit ;)
I've been using it for quite a while and mine respond to it quite quickly. Within a few days there is a noticeable difference.
It really depends on the individual animal and the situation/reason for using it.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet said to give my cat those capsules at least 2 months.
I'm nearly halfway to the target.
The long term treatment mentioned in the leaflet in the pack says 1 to 2 months.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know, but I'm not looking at it for long term treatment for him though. I was giving it to him when he came to mine after his initial surgeries, so he was on it for a while, then I went down to alternating days and stopped when he got rid of the crate and cone.
I'm just looking at a little extra comfort for the next couple weeks while he's contagious and continues to be confined 24/7 to one room.

Keep in mind every cat and situation is different. While your vet has determined the long term two month treatment to be best for your cats and situation, it doesn't apply to all cats and all situations.

I don't know what issues you are using it for but sure hope it will help you and your kitties :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Love the two gates stacked! And it's kinda a good thing that they are so interested in each other, no?

Speaking of gates, I have friends who routinely foster cats and kittens who have screen doors (cat proof screeing does exist) on their cat rooms.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They are both tall gates so the door is completely covered from bottom to top :D
I'm pretty sure Yoda would just shred the screen door from the inside.
It's a bit awkward squeezing through the bottom gate (the upper one doesn't fit on the bottom because of the door handle and it can't be mounted upside down) but whatever.
It's like max security prison here these days. Poor little guy! He starts the next cycle of itrafungol on Thursday though.
The OG lesion is becoming much smaller and there is a significant regrowth of fur. His nose and ear seem stagnant pretty much, although one of them seems to also be getting better.

I can't wait until I can resign from my new part time job as a daily cat room cleaner deep deep cleaner :D