Ringworm Chaos

lexiloo248

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am basically a volunteer kitty rescuer the past 2 years and have only dealt with ringworm once before when I worked at a shelter. Unfortunately the shelter bullied me out of my job so I only made it through 2 weeks of treatment with those kitties and they euthanize them. The same shelter has bullied me and my nonprofit, causing me to need somewhere else to keep my rescue kitties until adopted or finding rescue. A local Humane Society gave me a space in their facility and within the last week, all 10 of my kitties have popped positive from ringworm. I'm terrified because they told me I would have to take them elsewhere until they were clear again, meaning taking them back home with me. I have one room set up for my cats and used to be set up as the rescue room, but now it's more of a cat and craft room. I've got 2 large tower kennels with 3 levels that the rescues stay in. I went and got the "veterinarian formula" spray and shampoo to use on them, but I'm wondering if I will need to move my personal cats litter robot and food dishes out of the room even if the others are contained in the kennels. I'm also wondering if subjecting the kitties to sunlight every day and/or getting a uv lamp bulb for the room would help get rid of ringworm faster? I've been advised not to do the dip in the house because of the smell, but could it be done outside maybe and then have sunlight time? I'm trying to think outside the box for quicker solutions because many of these kittens were set to go on Rescue transport this week, but now they have to wait until ringworm is gone, and I don't want the rescues to give up on me. I have hepa filter air purifiers in every room of my house and have a hepa vacuum. Will that help any? I saw that lysol kills ringworm, so does that mean I can keep everything sprayed daily and not have to worry about the house staying contaminated? I mop my walks with hot water and antibacterial fabulouso once a week, should I switch to daily and use bleach instead? I've been doing in home kitty rescue the past year and a half and have never had a ringworm problem, I just don't want the house to be and stay contaminated. I have 3 cats and 3 dogs of my own, and it's me, my husband, and 9 year old daughter in the house with the animals. I know to wear gloves and not to let my husband and daughter mess with the ringworm kitties, but do I just need to go ahead and treat my animals too for prevention since they're in the house? I am a total mess over this. I know it's not the worst case scenario, but I also know getting rid of ringworm can be a long and pricey road. Any and all advice would be amazing. I've been reading through all of your other thread responses too.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bleach sounds too aggressive to me, the smell might be unbearable for you and for the kittens. If Lysol kills ringoworm, that should be enough. You can use disposable gloves when you handle them.
There are shampoos or other products to be applied topically, or there are medicine to be taken orally.
I always used the latter, and I found it works great.

I don't know about the UV lamps, but I think the constant UV exposure might damage the kittens' eyes? The sunlight is a good antimycotic, but it isn't available daily, and this season seems the wrong one to have a good effect on the lesions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lexiloo248

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The uv lamp I ordered I to help sanitize the room while I am treating the kittens with the shampoo and spray. They would be out of the room, and for the size of room it only takes 5 minutes to sanitize. I'm excited to try it out. I'll attach pictures of that and the spray and shampoo I got. I live in south GA, so we have plenty of sun daily and it's pretty warm even in the winter. It's been 70 and 80 degrees outside lately during the day. I'm definitely going to be stocking up on lysol.

Attachments

lexiloo248

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It says that it can sanitize up to 400 Sq ft so I figure it can't hurt to try!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If I am reading your post correctly, your personal cats and the rescue kittens are all in the same room, but the kittens are in cages? Is that right? If so, I would definitely treat your personal cats along with the kittens, since the ringworm spores can float in the air and be spread that way. I would also vacuum every day for awhile.

Personally, I wouldn't use Lysol just because of the smell. The thought of breathing in that stuff to me is worse than dealing with ringworm!

I really don't think there is any way they will be ready for the Rescue Transport this week, but miracles have been known to happen. Have you asked your Vet about using the UV lamp and how fast it might work? Dipping them outside if it's warm enough seems like a good idea to me and since it needs to dry, letting them stay in the sun also seems fine, but I don't think it will "cure" it any faster. If it were 110 degrees, maybe, but it's not, and that might not be good for the kittens anyway.

See if there's anything in this article that helps: How to Deal with Ringworm in Cats [Inc. the Housecleaning Regime] – TheCatSite Articles

lexiloo248

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The room that they're in is where my litterbox and food dishes are for my personal cats are, but across the room from where the kennels that the ringworm kitties are. I've also got extreme hepa air purifiers surrounding the kennels to help with the spores. I've got the ringworm kitties in the top 2 levels of the kennels to make sure my personal cats dont come in direct contact with them. I am spraying my personal cats too though just in case it gets to them through the air in any way. The uv lamp will only be used to sterilize the room a little extra while there are no animals in the room (while I'm doing the medicated bath and spray treatment). I'm mopping and vacuuming ceilings, walls, and floors multiple times a day and using the lysol (with the windows open so there's not a crazy overkill smell) plus the purifiers run 24/7. I was told that it kills the ringworm on surfaces within 5 minutes, and that other than the rescue brand cleaner its the best way to go. I'm washing bedding daily in hot water with oxiclean sanitizer and of course using gloves, showering, and putting on different clothes after handling them. I'm taking every precaution that I can think to take, and any advice I get also. I know they won't be able to go on transport until cured, and I know it can take a while for that. I'm just trying to be as safe, yet aggressive with treatment so that we can get past this mess as soon as possible for the sake of the cats.