Ringworm and Lamisil?

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, finally heard from the other vet on the rinworm issue in my foster kittens. They just said to use Lamisil...

Now, I hate to second guess the vet, but they're KITTENS! About 7 weeks old now. Is that really safe for them? I mean, I'd wonder about using human stuff on a cat, but on 7 week old kittens?

It does say it's for ringworm, but not for ringworm on kittens... So now I'm worried. They expect me to be using this everyday, but I don't want to until I'm sure it's safe for them... I did some research, but there's not a lot of specific input on this, just a few people saying "never use human products on kittens"...

Any one here have advice? Like "don't even think about it!" or "dilute it" or anything?

Thanks in advance!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

Ok, finally heard from the other vet on the rinworm issue in my foster kittens. They just said to use Lamisil...

Now, I hate to second guess the vet, but they're KITTENS! About 7 weeks old now. Is that really safe for them? I mean, I'd wonder about using human stuff on a cat, but on 7 week old kittens?

It does say it's for ringworm, but not for ringworm on kittens... So now I'm worried. They expect me to be using this everyday, but I don't want to until I'm sure it's safe for them... I did some research, but there's not a lot of specific input on this, just a few people saying "never use human products on kittens"...

Any one here have advice? Like "don't even think about it!" or "dilute it" or anything?

Thanks in advance!
It won't hurt them, but it isn't very effective either. It's commonly prescribed by Vets to treat ringworm.
Depending on the severity of the ringworm infection, you may ask your Vet for the Lime Sulfur dip. Then dip each kitten and spot treat bad areas on the face and ears.
There is another ointment called Sufinex that is effective.

If your kittens are long haired, you may need to shave them to treat them effectively and more quickly.

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I battled ringworm for years with my male persian. I never had a vet suggest using Lamisil. That's fine for a human that may have one little spot, but as the other poster said it is not very effective. I agree with using the Lime Sulphur Dip. It can be messy, but it was the only thing that completely got rid of the ringworm on my cats. Depending on how bad the ringworm is, there are several anti-fungal medications that can be taken orally also.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet says to use Lamisil, too. It worked when June was a kitten and she had a small ringworm spot. If they have the ringworm over a larger area, I don't think the Lamisil will be enough. But if it's just a small spot, it should do the trick.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a vet suggest it, too. It irritated Sho's skin and actually make the affected areas look more like sores (only one day of use). If you look for other threads this isn't odd, it is too strong for cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys! I am trying a little bit for now- so far no rashes or other signs of irritation. So I haven't noticed a difference in the ring worm, yet, but hopefully they start clearing up soon.

I feel so bad for my poor babies! So thank you for your help!