Ringworm? Allergy?

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i adopted a kitten a week ago, yesterday I noticed this area above his eye was loosing hair and red, also notice a small spot on his chin and the side of his lip. I took him to the vet today so they could take a culture and test for ringworm.
But I'm wondering if it could be an allergy instead? When I adopted him last week the rescue didn't give me his current brand of food, so I got him something else and he has been eating that, maybe he is allergic? Also 3 days after I got him I brought him in to the vet and they put a topical flea med on him, later that day I accidentally petted him on that area and might have rubbed his face, wondering if that could be a cause too.
Those are the only spots he has, and otherwise looks and acts very healthy.
I am trying not to over react, I only had him tested for ringworm cause I got freaked out reading up on the internet lol.
Here are some pictures.
Thanks!

Oh I was also thinking of it is ringworm, wouldn't I notice it on his front legs since he grooms his face with his front legs?

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The one on his chin looks like a rodent ulcer or eosinophilic granuloma. They actually could both be that. They can be triggered by stress, which would be true of being in a new environment. If you're uncomfortable with your vet's attitude, then you should seek a second opinion. There is nothing wrong with getting a second opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet is actually where I work. I'm not so worried about the vet, just hate this waiting game and I have never seen ringworm in a cat before. I also have 3 dogs and myself that could get it from
Him if he does in fact have it. But like you said I'm hoping it is stress related issue. He wasn't a fan of the dogs the first 3 days but now he loves them and cuddles them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So we are still waiting for this culture to come back,
But the areas that we were concerned about are actually much better looking, and since he isn't being treated for ringworm we are thinking it must be something else.
It got me thinking. I clean my floors everyday with either pine sol or fabulouslo, and when I first got him I was still doing that. Now I have been working so much I have been only cleaning the floors once a week and I'm wondering if this could have been a reaction to the floor cleaners.

I have to clean the floors a lot cause I have 3 dogs that track in dirt all the time, I want to try something else to use to clean the floors, any suggestions? I heard there is some solution with vinegar, but was worried it would be smelly.
Thanks in advance!

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So we are still waiting for this culture to come back,
But the areas that we were concerned about are actually much better looking, and since he isn't being treated for ringworm we are thinking it must be something else.
It got me thinking. I clean my floors everyday with either pine sol or fabulouslo, and when I first got him I was still doing that. Now I have been working so much I have been only cleaning the floors once a week and I'm wondering if this could have been a reaction to the floor cleaners.

I have to clean the floors a lot cause I have 3 dogs that track in dirt all the time, I want to try something else to use to clean the floors, any suggestions? I heard there is some solution with vinegar, but was worried it would be smelly.
Thanks in advance!
Vinegar and water is probably the safest bet. I switched to cleaning floors, counters, etc with it when I got my cats. Is is stinky, but the vinegar smell dissipates quickly.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should probably mention vinegar is not recommended for granite or natural stone, so if your countertops or floors are either of those vinegar probably isn't a viable option. I also think it is best for basic cleaning. Meaning if you have a super dirty area or floors get really bad, I would mop with a regular floor cleaner then go over it with vinegar and water.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've read that Pine Sol and Lysol are dangerous to use around cats.
I have heard that also. If i need a major clean I will mop with very diluted Murphy oil soap, then go back over it with my vinegar/water mix. Our floors don't get too bad though, no dogs, just the 2 of us and the cats, so I don't need to do much more beyond the vinegar/water very often.