Ringworm? Allergy?

Discussion in 'Cat Health' started by sydney, Jul 17, 2017 at 4:30 PM.

1. sydney

sydney TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jun 17, 2005
    California
    i adopted a kitten a week ago, yesterday I noticed this area above his eye was loosing hair and red, also notice a small spot on his chin and the side of his lip. I took him to the vet today so they could take a culture and test for ringworm.
    But I'm wondering if it could be an allergy instead? When I adopted him last week the rescue didn't give me his current brand of food, so I got him something else and he has been eating that, maybe he is allergic? Also 3 days after I got him I brought him in to the vet and they put a topical flea med on him, later that day I accidentally petted him on that area and might have rubbed his face, wondering if that could be a cause too.
    Those are the only spots he has, and otherwise looks and acts very healthy.
    I am trying not to over react, I only had him tested for ringworm cause I got freaked out reading up on the internet lol.
    Here are some pictures.
    Thanks!

Oh I was also thinking of it is ringworm, wouldn't I notice it on his front legs since he grooms his face with his front legs?

Attached Files:

2. stephanietx

stephanietx Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Dec 1, 2005
    Texas
    The one on his chin looks like a rodent ulcer or eosinophilic granuloma. They actually could both be that. They can be triggered by stress, which would be true of being in a new environment. If you're uncomfortable with your vet's attitude, then you should seek a second opinion. There is nothing wrong with getting a second opinion.

3. sydney

sydney TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jun 17, 2005
    California
    The vet is actually where I work. I'm not so worried about the vet, just hate this waiting game and I have never seen ringworm in a cat before. I also have 3 dogs and myself that could get it from
    Him if he does in fact have it. But like you said I'm hoping it is stress related issue. He wasn't a fan of the dogs the first 3 days but now he loves them and cuddles them.