Ringworm? 12 week old kitten

dli2509

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We’ve had this little girl for almost 3 weeks now. I noticed a little spot on her paw a couple of days ago but didn’t think anything of it. Today the spot looked larger and it hit me that it might be ringworm. It glows green under a black lamp… We can’t get a vet appointment for another week. What should we do? It wasn’t there 1 week ago because I have some pictures where you can see her paw up close. Thank you!

Attachments

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I do believe it’s ringworm. We dealt with that too. Don’t know if you have ever had ringworm before, but it was my first experience, so here’s what we were told by our vet & did.

I’d recommend trying to keep them contained in an a specific area of your house, like a bathroom that easy to clean, especially if you have other pets/ children and wash hands diligently after handling. Try not to hold them up against you and wear long sleeve, high neck, pants etc to limit skin to skin touch. Afterwards just throw those clothes into the wash on high heat so your clothes don’t carry spores from room to room.

Keep an eye out for anything that pops up on you and your family members as you’ve already been exposed. As long as you don’t have any open wounds/scratches etc. you probably won’t see anything, but it can take a couple weeks to pop up so 🤷🏼‍♀️. Plus clean your house with bleach and wash fabrics on high heat where the kitten has already been to kill any lingering spores already spread.

Once you see the vet, you’ll probably be on ringworm wash duty too so I’d suggest getting some thick gloves for the upcoming baths to prevent scratches to your arms in case they are wild. And any bedding or towels you use with the kitty, just wash separately from the rest of your laundry on high heat.

Our boy had it very, very bad when we got him and I got several spots on my arm from handling him before we knew, but I had a few scratches there already that helped it take hold. Our dog never got any (thank god).

I was super freaked out about never getting rid of it because ringworm is a long haul. But we got through it! Don’t know if you are someone like me who gets anxiety about that kind of thing but if you are, don’t worry!

I can’t think of anything else to add right now. But hopefully that’s helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dli2509

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response! My anxiety is spiraling with this, thank you for then reassurance. I washed everything yesterday and bleached as much as I could but we still have the area rugs, cat trees, etc. that can’t be disinfected (and too expensive to replace). Isolating the kitten is not realistic for our living situation, she would go absolutely nuts. We have 2 2yo cats and 1 dog as well. I’m really struggling…

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's in a very odd place for ringworm. If no new spots develop in the next few days it most likely is an infection of the nail. It spreads VERY rapidly and you most likely would have some by now too. Any spots on you, cover with a bandaid, that will stop the spread. diluted apple cider vinegar sometimes works, (it changes the PH and makes it inhospitable for fungus) dab it on several times a day, or go to your local farm supply store like Tractor Supply and see if they have anything. Try not to worry too much, it's curable at least!

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response! My anxiety is spiraling with this, thank you for then reassurance. I washed everything yesterday and bleached as much as I could but we still have the area rugs, cat trees, etc. that can’t be disinfected (and too expensive to replace). Isolating the kitten is not realistic for our living situation, she would go absolutely nuts. We have 2 2yo cats and 1 dog as well. I’m really struggling…
Yeah, I was super stressed so I totally get it. We had 2 bathrooms so we just isolated him in the second and only used our master and we made sure to go play with him often, just changed clothes and washed after. He was actually super, super tiny at first so we had him in an extra large dog cage from our golden we don’t use anymore and I made hammocks from old towels for him to climb and play. We had 2 blankets, and 2 toy mice we switched between and washed when we would pull him out for a bath. My husband or I would hold him in a towel while he dried and the other would Clorox and swap stuff.

I understand if isolation isn’t feasible for you though! As long as you are cleaning daily and make sure you keep yourself covered that will help keep it off you skin, and wash hands frequently! When you start giving medicated shampoo baths, you can bathe all the animals even if they don’t have spotsto help prevent! Ringworm sounds really scary online, but it’s not too bad. If you clean it will go away, it just takes a long time. I had multiple crying breakdowns during though. It can feel overwhelming and like you aren’t sure if you’re doing enough. But don’t worry!

I’m not sure if your kitty would let you, but if it’s just a spot on its paw right now, perhaps you could put a paw cover on it? Like a cat sock? That could help 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

—-

If it makes you feel any better, our boy had been sick with a bunch of other stuff, so it spread super fast since his immune system was weak. He looked like a zombie when it was at its worst 😂😂. But even he got over it! It didn’t show up on him until about 2 weeks after we got him, and my spots appeared about 2 weeks after that.

Here’s him at his worst! (Dec 27th)
B3C44741-967D-4073-A63E-8D01132CC9B6.jpeg 4A755E80-334C-4766-89C1-4E271CB54ADA.jpeg B6BEDB0B-1A80-4708-BE9E-5670A400DE95.jpeg
1 week later (Jan 2nd)
A6BEDD4A-C3D7-4875-9FED-B8F1271ABE87.jpeg

2 weeks later (Jan 10)
54A8B5B3-F573-4A34-8791-E3F728AC9928.jpeg

This was his quarantine set up.
DCDE50F6-9A0D-4417-A5B0-12B2E376B877.jpeg
726128D1-85ED-4791-86E6-90CF500ACB84.jpeg

We played with him in the full bathroom too when we were in there and then cleaned the bathroom when he put him back. He had food, water, litter box, blanket, cardboard block for scratching/climbing, hammock, toys, hanging rope to climb/play, iPad with bird videos. The hammock and rope were just an old towel I cut & tied. I made 2 of each and switched them out & washed when we bathed him.

So yeah! It will feel impossible, and like it’s taking forever, but looking back at his progress pics, I can’t believe how quickly he turned around? Even though at the time it felt endless.

Oh! And here are pics of my spots to help you know what to look for! Mine were never bigger than a pencil eraser and I put over the counter cream on them and kept them covered with a bandaid.
31EFEE4E-9341-4ABC-9618-61DD88115CAC.jpeg

I had about 6? All on one arm. The one I usually held him with. I actually had to buy silicone bandaids because I broke out from the adhesive worse than the ringworm 😂😂

I know this is long but I hope it helps!! For me personally, lots of info helps me feel better, like I know what to expect, and visuals are really important to me because google is always extremes and I like to know what the average is like and what to expect over time too!

If there is literally anything you want to know ask me! I’ll do whatever I can to help!

dli2509

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's in a very odd place for ringworm. If no new spots develop in the next few days it most likely is an infection of the nail. It spreads VERY rapidly and you most likely would have some by now too. Any spots on you, cover with a bandaid, that will stop the spread. diluted apple cider vinegar sometimes works, (it changes the PH and makes it inhospitable for fungus) dab it on several times a day, or go to your local farm supply store like Tractor Supply and see if they have anything. Try not to worry too much, it's curable at least!
Thank you for your feedback!

dli2509

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I was super stressed so I totally get it. We had 2 bathrooms so we just isolated him in the second and only used our master and we made sure to go play with him often, just changed clothes and washed after. He was actually super, super tiny at first so we had him in an extra large dog cage from our golden we don’t use anymore and I made hammocks from old towels for him to climb and play. We had 2 blankets, and 2 toy mice we switched between and washed when we would pull him out for a bath. My husband or I would hold him in a towel while he dried and the other would Clorox and swap stuff.

I understand if isolation isn’t feasible for you though! As long as you are cleaning daily and make sure you keep yourself covered that will help keep it off you skin, and wash hands frequently! When you start giving medicated shampoo baths, you can bathe all the animals even if they don’t have spotsto help prevent! Ringworm sounds really scary online, but it’s not too bad. If you clean it will go away, it just takes a long time. I had multiple crying breakdowns during though. It can feel overwhelming and like you aren’t sure if you’re doing enough. But don’t worry!

I’m not sure if your kitty would let you, but if it’s just a spot on its paw right now, perhaps you could put a paw cover on it? Like a cat sock? That could help 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

—-

If it makes you feel any better, our boy had been sick with a bunch of other stuff, so it spread super fast since his immune system was weak. He looked like a zombie when it was at its worst 😂😂. But even he got over it! It didn’t show up on him until about 2 weeks after we got him, and my spots appeared about 2 weeks after that.

View attachment 426207View attachment 426208View attachment 426209
1 week later (Jan 2nd)
View attachment 426210
2 weeks later (Jan 10)
View attachment 426212
View attachment 426213View attachment 426214
We played with him in the full bathroom too when we were in there and then cleaned the bathroom when he put him back. He had food, water, litter box, blanket, cardboard block for scratching/climbing, hammock, toys, hanging rope to climb/play, iPad with bird videos. The hammock and rope were just an old towel I cut & tied. I made 2 of each and switched them out & washed when we bathed him.

So yeah! It will feel impossible, and like it’s taking forever, but looking back at his progress pics, I can’t believe how quickly he turned around? Even though at the time it felt endless.

Oh! And here are pics of my spots to help you know what to look for! Mine were never bigger than a pencil eraser and I put over the counter cream on them and kept them covered with a bandaid.View attachment 426215
I had about 6? All on one arm. The one I usually held him with. I actually had to buy silicone bandaids because I broke out from the adhesive worse than the ringworm 😂😂

I know this is long but I hope it helps!! For me personally, lots of info helps me feel better, like I know what to expect, and visuals are really important to me because google is always extremes and I like to know what the average is like and what to expect over time too!

If there is literally anything you want to know ask me! I’ll do whatever I can to help!
Oh my goodness! This is incredible, thank you so much for sharing your experience in such details. It definitely helps to get a real life experience and not the worst case scenario things you can find on the internet. She’s too rambunctious to contain at this point, so I’m hoping with cleaning and keeping her in the bathroom at night we’ll get through it. So far it’s only her toe that is affected and she’s already on oral meds (itrafungol) and topical miconazole spray.

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness! This is incredible, thank you so much for sharing your experience in such details. It definitely helps to get a real life experience and not the worst case scenario things you can find on the internet. She’s too rambunctious to contain at this point, so I’m hoping with cleaning and keeping her in the bathroom at night we’ll get through it. So far it’s only her toe that is affected and she’s already on oral meds (itrafungol) and topical miconazole spray.
Perfect!! And I’m glad I could help!! I know you’ll get through it and I’ll be cheering you on!! 🎉🎉

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here we are after 3 days of meds, it almost looks bigger… Does it usually get worse before it starts to improve?
That is normal! It takes a while for the meds to take effect, and it spreads so rapidly that it can continue to grow for a bit after you start medication! Don’t worry!

I have heard that spots on nail beds/claws can be especially stubborn. Zuko had one spot on a nail that seemed to take forever to look better.

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

—-

View attachment 426207View attachment 426208View attachment 426209
1 week later (Jan 2nd)
View attachment 426210
2 weeks later (Jan 10)
View attachment 426212
View attachment 426213View attachment 426214

Oh! And here are pics of my spots to help you know what to look for! Mine were never bigger than a pencil eraser and I put over the counter cream on them and kept them covered with a bandaid.View attachment 426215

Hi! just wondering but when you said you switched out the hammock and mice toys whenever you bathe the cat, how often in a week did you switch it out then? not sure how many times you bathe your cat.
also i have my cats in kernels like yours as well, but they would get fur stuck to the sides of the cages.
for your cat, did he get much fur stuck on the cage and if so, how often did you clean the fur off the sides of the cages.
how long did it take for your cat to recover from the ringworm?
and when you changed the cat's litter, did you dump the entire litter away each day?
did you wipe the litter down with wipes whenever you changed the litter as well? or just changed the litter

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! just wondering but when you said you switched out the hammock and mice toys whenever you bathe the cat, how often in a week did you switch it out then? not sure how many times you bathe your cat.
also i have my cats in kernels like yours as well, but they would get fur stuck to the sides of the cages.
for your cat, did he get much fur stuck on the cage and if so, how often did you clean the fur off the sides of the cages.
how long did it take for your cat to recover from the ringworm?
and when you changed the cat's litter, did you dump the entire litter away each day?
did you wipe the litter down with wipes whenever you changed the litter as well? or just changed the litter
He was on oral medications, and we gave him a bath every other day with ringworm medicated shampoo our vet prescribed us! So the switching of toys, bedding etc, happened every other day!

I never noticed much fur stuck to the sides specifically, but he did shed and track litter. When we cleaned, first we vacuumed the area, then wiped everything down with Clorox wipes (including the sides of the kennel), and washed his bowls in the sink before we refilled them. The litter box we dumped and wiped with Clorox wipes before refilling, but that we only did once a week I think, not every bath, and we just bought cheap bulk litter since we changed it so much.

We took him in to get a spot checked on 12/21. They went ahead and started treatment for ringworm then because it fluoresced, but we didn’t get the official “diagnosis” until 12/30 when his test results came back. They wanted us to go ahead and start treatment though since it is a long process, just in case. He was released from his prison on 1/24. So all in all, it was about 5 weeks before we had the all clear?

I hope that answered all you questions!

When he was released BTW, I put him in another room, and did a deep clean of the entire room with bleach. Vacuum first, then wiped everything down with Clorox wipes, then used bleach to clean the floors, kennel & plastic items. The vacuum I emptied outside to prevent releasing spores back in the house and cleaned it with Clorox wipes and bleach. I wore rubber gloves the whole time too. I was very paranoid, so my process was probably overkill, but it gave me peace of mind. Haha! The Clorox was probably enough, but I wanted to be extra sure! The most important thing is the vacuuming first because mechanical removal is important. Remove the spore then go back over with cleaner just to double check you get anything left and kill it! I liked using the wipes because it was also a way to make sure I was wiping/removing any hair or something I missed with the vacuum! 😊😊

vivibebean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was on oral medications, and we gave him a bath every other day with ringworm medicated shampoo our vet prescribed us! So the switching of toys, bedding etc, happened every other day!

I never noticed much fur stuck to the sides specifically, but he did shed and track litter. When we cleaned, first we vacuumed the area, then wiped everything down with Clorox wipes (including the sides of the kennel), and washed his bowls in the sink before we refilled them. The litter box we dumped and wiped with Clorox wipes before refilling, but that we only did once a week I think, not every bath, and we just bought cheap bulk litter since we changed it so much.

We took him in to get a spot checked on 12/21. They went ahead and started treatment for ringworm then because it fluoresced, but we didn’t get the official “diagnosis” until 12/30 when his test results came back. They wanted us to go ahead and start treatment though since it is a long process, just in case. He was released from his prison on 1/24. So all in all, it was about 5 weeks before we had the all clear?

I hope that answered all you questions!

When he was released BTW, I put him in another room, and did a deep clean of the entire room with bleach. Vacuum first, then wiped everything down with Clorox wipes, then used bleach to clean the floors, kennel & plastic items. The vacuum I emptied outside to prevent releasing spores back in the house and cleaned it with Clorox wipes and bleach. I wore rubber gloves the whole time too. I was very paranoid, so my process was probably overkill, but it gave me peace of mind. Haha! The Clorox was probably enough, but I wanted to be extra sure! The most important thing is the vacuuming first because mechanical removal is important. Remove the spore then go back over with cleaner just to double check you get anything left and kill it! I liked using the wipes because it was also a way to make sure I was wiping/removing any hair or something I missed with the vacuum! 😊😊
thanks for going into details!
which Clorox wipes did you use?
when you vaccum, did the cat's fur get stuck to the brush? did you disinfect the brush as well?
so i assumed you never used any rescue product to disinfect then?

in my case, unfortunately, ive been dealing with on and off ringworm infection on my three cats (two long fur, one short fur) for 10-11 months already. my shelter cat came to me with ringworm in august 2021 but wasnt dignosed or treated until 9/2021.
they would get negative culture at the end of their treatment but when i monitor them for reinfection brought them in to get fungal cultured just to get two straight negative, they would come back positive for the second one.

in the first infection, i didnt separate my three cats from each other and had them all quarantined together. was also a bit more lax in treatment.

but now all three cats are separated in their own kennel but in the same room. twice weekly disifnection of the cat cages and floor of the cats room. twice weekly lime sulfur baths unless they ahve fungal culture coming up so then i would do once a week just to prevent false negative result.
oral itrafungol at 10 ml/kg instead of the 5 ml/kg. litter changed everyday and disinfected twice weekly. bowls rinsed everyday and disinfected twice weekly. their cages are vacuumed twice daily with the miele.

the whole ringworm thign has been a nightmare. i keep mentally breaking down because i try so hard and its sitll here.

dli2509

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We’re 11 days in since I noticed the hair loss and we started treatment the next day. She’s on Itrafungol for 7 days on/7 days off for a total of 5 weeks. We’re also doing Miconosol twice a day and Micoseb bath once a week. The hair is staring to grow back and no new spots have appeared (knock on wood), I also don’t see anything with the black light and her toe pad isn’t scaly anymore. The other 2 cats had a clean Wood’s lamp one week after we started treatment (they coincidentally already had their annual check up scheduled), and so far nothing on them either (super knock on wood!). The older cats and our dog also got a bath with Micoseb, I’ve been vacuuming every day and moping once a week with Rescue. I also wipe down frequently used surfaces with Rescue and disinfect the bathroom she sleeps in every day. Everything that could be washed has been cleaned and put away. Everything else I sprayed down with Rescue (cat trees, area rugs, couch, etc.). We didn’t isolate her and we’re hoping this will be enough. I’m not sure if I got it or not but anything that even remotely itches I put anti-fungal cream on. I’ll report back in a couple of weeks 😊.

dli2509

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always wish these posts had final updates so here it goes.

Diagnosis and Treatment
First tested positive for ringworm with home UV light on July 13th (glowed greenish on her toe that also had hair loss). Next day tested positive on Wood’s lamp and started 2x daily topical miconosol and oral Itrafungol for 5 weeks (1 week on, 1 week off), and weekly Micoseb baths (we only ended up doing 3). She was still positive by Wood’s lamp on August 12th, so the doctor added a 4th round of Itrafungol. She tested negative on the Wood’s lamp August 31st. A sample was sent for fungal culture to confirm she's over it, will hear back in 3 weeks. Gave her Itrafungol with the syringe and fed her wet food immediately after, she didn't have any GI issues at all.

Isolation and interaction with other pets/humans
We didn’t isolate her from the rest of the animals, but everyone got a Micoseb bath 1 week after we first saw the lesion. No baths after that (too traumatizing for the adult cats and myself, hahaha). None of the cats or dog got it! I had a small lesion behind my knee about 3 weeks in, that cleared up with Lotrimin. I didn’t hold her for the first 2 weeks and washed my hands after touching her. We let her get on the bed and cuddled with her after 2 weeks (1 cycle of Itrafungol).

Cleaning
At first washed all sheets, pillows, bedding, anything that could go in the washer and put everything away that didn’t need to be out. I disinfected all surfaces and floors (with Rescue) once weekly for 3 weeks. Washed all pet bedding once a week with bleach and hot water. Vacuumed the floors every day for 1 week and then every other day for the second week. Then once weekly after that. Drenched the cat trees with Rescue and left them in the sun once a week for the first two weeks. Then just did a light spraying of Rescue once a week for an additional 3 weeks. Sprayed all the rugs that couldn’t be washed with Rescue once a week after vacuuming for 4 weeks. She sleeps in the half bathroom, so I vacuumed and disinfected the floor with Rescue every day for the first two weeks. Then once a week for an additional 2 weeks. Used a canister vacuum (Dyson) and emptied the canister outside and wiped down with Rescue.

Here are the products we used:
Rescue disinfectant - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B9G3ZJM/?tag=thecatsite
Medicated shampoo - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K3BX7SM/?tag=thecatsite
Itrafungol - ITRAFUNGOL Oral Solution for Cats, 10 mg/mL, 52-mL - Chewy.com
Topical medicine - MICONAZOLE Nitrate (Generic) Lotion 1% for Dogs & Cats, 60-mL - Chewy.com

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you so much; members often ask about outcomes and this is very helpful.

dli2509

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always wish these posts had final updates so here it goes.

Diagnosis and Treatment
First tested positive for ringworm with home UV light on July 13th (glowed greenish on her toe that also had hair loss). Next day tested positive on Wood’s lamp and started 2x daily topical miconosol and oral Itrafungol for 5 weeks (1 week on, 1 week off), and weekly Micoseb baths (we only ended up doing 3). She was still positive by Wood’s lamp on August 12th, so the doctor added a 4th round of Itrafungol. She tested negative on the Wood’s lamp August 31st. A sample was sent for fungal culture to confirm she's over it, will hear back in 3 weeks. Gave her Itrafungol with the syringe and fed her wet food immediately after, she didn't have any GI issues at all.

Isolation and interaction with other pets/humans
We didn’t isolate her from the rest of the animals, but everyone got a Micoseb bath 1 week after we first saw the lesion. No baths after that (too traumatizing for the adult cats and myself, hahaha). None of the cats or dog got it! I had a small lesion behind my knee about 3 weeks in, that cleared up with Lotrimin. I didn’t hold her for the first 2 weeks and washed my hands after touching her. We let her get on the bed and cuddled with her after 2 weeks (1 cycle of Itrafungol).

Cleaning
At first washed all sheets, pillows, bedding, anything that could go in the washer and put everything away that didn’t need to be out. I disinfected all surfaces and floors (with Rescue) once weekly for 3 weeks. Washed all pet bedding once a week with bleach and hot water. Vacuumed the floors every day for 1 week and then every other day for the second week. Then once weekly after that. Drenched the cat trees with Rescue and left them in the sun once a week for the first two weeks. Then just did a light spraying of Rescue once a week for an additional 3 weeks. Sprayed all the rugs that couldn’t be washed with Rescue once a week after vacuuming for 4 weeks. She sleeps in the half bathroom, so I vacuumed and disinfected the floor with Rescue every day for the first two weeks. Then once a week for an additional 2 weeks. Used a canister vacuum (Dyson) and emptied the canister outside and wiped down with Rescue.

Here are the products we used:
Rescue disinfectant - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B9G3ZJM/?tag=thecatsite
Medicated shampoo - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K3BX7SM/?tag=thecatsite
Itrafungol - ITRAFUNGOL Oral Solution for Cats, 10 mg/mL, 52-mL - Chewy.com
Topical medicine - MICONAZOLE Nitrate (Generic) Lotion 1% for Dogs & Cats, 60-mL - Chewy.com

Hope this helps!
Fungal culture came back negative! So we're hopefully clear of ringworm for good (knocks on wood).