Ring Worm??

Karno

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a nine week old kitten who is up to date on deworming and flea treatments. Today I noticed a small crusty spot behind her ear and when I cleaned it, it started to bleed. Is it possible that it could be ringworm?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It could be, but ringworm can mimic a number of conditions such as skin infections, allergic skin or parasitic skin issues. The usual routine would be for a vet to check your kitten with an ultraviolet light to look for the characteristic greenish colored fluorescence given off by some ringworm species. But, in the absence of that, looking at hairs under a microscope can confirm or rule out the fungus. The vet may also want to do a fungal culture, but if they would think it was ringworm they would likely go ahead and treat it since the culture can take weeks for results while waiting for the fungus to grow.

The big issue is if you have other cats as ringworm is contagious - it can also be transmitted to humans, so wash your hands or wear disposable gloves while handling your kitten.

If your vet accepts pictures, you can send one to them and ask what they think it might be.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you joined the site and came here to ask whether or not your cat has ringworm.

It could be, but ringworm can mimic a number of conditions such as skin infections, allergic skin or parasitic skin issues.
:yeah: Ditto!

Here is an Article that discusses the symptoms and treatment for ringworm:
Ringworm In Cats: How To Win The Fight

Please keep us posted on your kitten's progress. :alright:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a nine week old kitten who is up to date on deworming and flea treatments. Today I noticed a small crusty spot behind her ear and when I cleaned it, it started to bleed. Is it possible that it could be ringworm?
Welcome to our friendly site..To u n ure kitty or kitties..not sure what that is...hang around some other members will reply...:welcomesign::petcat::catlove: