Ring worm outbreak.

4Fus1on

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I'm new here and I'm not sure if I'm even in the right spot on this forum for my questions. I purchased a Cornish Rex kitten from a women in Ohio a few months back. The kitten unbeknownst to me at the time came to me with ring worm, the breeder swears the kitten was clean when it left her. When the kitten was delivered to me it had little bumps all over it, I took him to my vet and they did a scrapping and it was positive for ringworm. It strange as he didn't show like the pictures you see of ring worm as he didn't have round large patches but instead small bumps and then some small round soars popped up on his face as week later. He doesn't have fur to begin with becuase of his breed so you don't notice missing fur on him. I had never heard of ringworm in cats before and my vet say's it pretty rare in our area. The ring worm has since traveled to my other cat and they are both infected. I became infected but used a cream and it went away after a couple weeks. My cats were originally put on terbinafine but when they finished their doses they stared having breakthroughs again, I have also been sulfer/lyme dipping them, originally twice a week and have now moved to once a week. The vet has changed their meds and has put them on itraconazole every other week for four weeks, they just finished their first dose yesterday. The Cornish kitten looks clear right now and my other cat is missing patches of fur all over his head/feet and underbelly. I was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with ringworm and can give me any suggestions. I'm worried that taking them off the itraconazole for a week will bring back the ringworm. I'm older and not in the best of health and it's getting harder for me to handle all this with no help. I constantly clean and try to disinfect things as much as I possibly can. I can't throw out my furniture or spray it with clorox, I spray with a lot of lysol and I have purchased a disinfectant called Rescue and I'm trying that. The vets are overwhelmed in my area since covid and I'm pretty much on my own with this mess. I even tried reaching out to a few rescue groups with questions and received no replies. Any help or encouragement would be appreciated. I need to know there will be some light at the end of this tunnel!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello, and welcome to the site!!

There are a number of people with direct experience here, and there might possibly be something in the article that also helps until they have a chance to see your post. Hang in there with all of this - I'm sending hugs and all the good thoughts I have!

How to Deal with Ringworm in Cats [Inc. the Housecleaning Regime] – TheCatSite Articles

Also, this is a compilation of site threads having to do with the subject ringworm, which could be of use to you too;
Search Results for Query: ringworm

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Itraconazole
Ringworm in Cats
How to Deal with Ringworm in Cats [Inc. the Housecleaning Regime] – TheCatSite Articles
Itraconazole For Ringworm Treatment (alt. forms)

Welcome to The Cat Site! I am very sorry that you are in this predicament with your cats. Actually, ringworm is a fairly common topic on TCS. The above articles may help, although you may be quite up to speed on ringworm by now. Your cats have just started itraconazole as I understand this, whereas other meds have not completely worked. At this point, I would keep going with that as it is one of the new meds, considered more effective, for ringworm. We cannot change the dosage that your vet prescribed or tell you to alter it from the every other week plan that he gave you, but your question about suspending it for a week is a good one and should be addressed to your vet. You have already had the cats in for treatment, so this does not need to be another visit, and since he has set up itraconazole for you, he should be able to answer a question about it. You could even leave a message for him with a receptionist and someone could get back to you. Personally, I would try to stay the course with it and see what happens. Rescue is a good cleaner for use around animals; be cautious with the Lysol.